PDA

View Full Version : for those of you keeping an eye on derrick brooks

jimbohastle51
07-02-2009, 05:47 PM
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2009/07/02/derrick-brooks-still-holding-out-hope/

he really wants to play this year apparently. New Orleans is only 3 hours from his home town of pensacola where he grew up, but maybe cause of our system and how close we are to being a playoff team we may have a chance? i have always said that he would never leave florida unless it was just for New Olreans because he would still be really close to home but maybe his will to play this season might let him come to buffalo for a year? what do you guys think? one thing is for sure, he will have to take vet league minimum anywhere to play this season.

Tatonka
07-02-2009, 06:46 PM
i have said it a hundred times.. he would be a very big addition to our team.. leadership and playing ability.. he is still 10 times better than any of our other options.. you put him at wslb.. and move mitchell to sslb.

tampabay25690
07-02-2009, 08:05 PM
Brooks will decide what he wants to do as well.
I do know for a fact that New Orleans is 1 place that interests him.
He would consider Tampa again but is not happy the way the organization is heading...

tampabay25690
07-02-2009, 08:08 PM
i have said it a hundred times.. he would be a very big addition to our team.. leadership and playing ability.. he is still 10 times better than any of our other options.. you put him at wslb.. and move mitchell to sslb.

Never in a million yrs do I see him going to Buffalo...

Tatonka
07-02-2009, 10:33 PM
i dont either.. but i know for sure that tampa is definately not bringing him back.. the coach was on sirius the other day.. it came directly from him.. they are turning the page.. smart or not.

FlyingDutchman
07-03-2009, 09:20 AM
lets face it guys, if he had any shot of coming here, the bills would have done something by now....a phone call...bringing him in for a visit....anything....not gonna happen unfortunately

Mr. Pink
07-03-2009, 09:48 AM
WAIT!

We need to sign Derrick Brooks because of his leadership abilities but it was fine to run London Fletcher out of town?

:rofl: The laughs never stop around here.

FlyingDutchman
07-03-2009, 09:54 AM
WAIT!

We need to sign Derrick Brooks because of his leadership abilities but it was fine to run London Fletcher out of town?

:rofl: The laughs never stop around here.

youre talking about bringing in one of the best cover 2 linebackers of the last decade for the league min for a year or two....not exactly the same situation

Mr. Pink
07-03-2009, 10:01 AM
youre talking about bringing in one of the best cover 2 linebackers of the last decade for the league min for a year or two....not exactly the same situation

Yeah, we're talking about a 36 year old, over the hill, overhyped LB.

A guy who hasn't posted 100 tackles in a season in 5 years.

A guy who showed severe decline last season.

Probably the reason Tampa decided to let him walk away.

And to be honest statistically, he didn't put up much better numbers than Ellison did last year.

Things aren't based on what someone has done over their career, but what they can for you today...try to keep that in mind.

Hemlepp53
07-03-2009, 09:23 PM
Ive said in another thread I'd ;ove to see him suit up for us. His understanding and habits in regards to film and training are top notch. Compared to a GOAT style workout and style of dedication to the postion. I would love to see the leadership in the locker room ... would have a huge impact...

billogic99
07-03-2009, 09:35 PM

And to be honest statistically, he didn't put up much better numbers than Ellison did last year.

Things aren't based on what someone has done over their career, but what they can for you today...try to keep that in mind.

This is a good observation. These are the type of additions many Bill fans think make us a playoff contender and I just scratch my head in wonder. If Brooks were as good as some here think he wouldn't be looking for work. I hope he goes soemwhere else cause all he does is make us older and slower.

FlyingDutchman
07-03-2009, 09:43 PM

all i said was its a different situation. fletch wouldnt play for a year at the vet minimum. right now brooks would, and would be an upgrade and a leader for a year while we develop Bowen and Harris. Lets face is, Ellison is never gonna do anything special

Historian
07-04-2009, 06:31 AM
Yea, he's as old as dirt.

Pass.

HHURRICANE
07-04-2009, 09:18 AM

Yep. I wonder if everyone remembers how good Bruce looked in Washington?

Brooks is not our answer.

Tatonka
07-04-2009, 11:01 AM
he played with a hamstring injury last year.. just and FYI for those who keep pointing to last year's "major decline".

guy is still better than any player we have past mitchell and pos.. and it is questionable if they are better than brooks. there were plenty of weeks last year that i sat there and watch mitchell suck a dick for 3 hours on sunday.. and there were plenty of games that Pos was absolutely invisible all day as well.

so for anyone to act like we are so good that we have the luxury of not considering a guy like brooks is just kidding themselves..

kid mickey
07-04-2009, 11:17 AM
No thanks to Brooks. Wouldn't bring him in unless every player at the position was injured. Yes that's right Ellison, Harris and Bowen would all have to go down before I'd consider bringing Brooks in. Guy isn't the same player any more. Honestly I believe in playing experience. The only way you learn is playing. Not watching on the sideline. How the hell do you develop a linebacker on the sideline?

tampabay25690
07-04-2009, 12:48 PM

Tampa got rid of him for the salary dump and a new direction.
The owners are having problems right now especially with having alot of tied into there soccer franchise as well....Tampa is not doing that well with Ticket sales this year either...

Bill Cody
07-04-2009, 10:53 PM
Yea, he's as old as dirt.

Pass.

He'll be better than Ellison a decade from now. No pass.