PDA

View Full Version : 21: Which rookies will start?

Syderick
07-03-2009, 10:35 AM
The impact of Aaron Maybin, Jairus Byrd, Eric Wood, and <NOBR>Andy Levitre:</NOBR>

http://www.buffalobills.com/news/article-3/21-which-rookies-will-start/d82dc978-a7e8-48c1-ab44-3da5c8a3182b

Yasgur's Farm
07-03-2009, 11:05 AM
Still his strength against the run will ultimately decide whether he’ll be able to compete for a starting role at defensive end. At the very least he’ll be a situational pass rusher.I see at least 6 sacks ot of him in '09!

Jan Reimers
07-05-2009, 07:51 AM
While Fine or Schouman may be the nominal starter, I think Nelson will be a contributor in the passing game, as well.

HHURRICANE
07-05-2009, 10:00 AM
The only guy that I have relatively high expectations for is Wood.

I think Nelson, Levitre, Maybin will all have limited impact.

I wouldn't be surprised if we sign a FA for the o-line once they figure out that Levitre is not ready to be a full time starter.

FlyingDutchman
07-05-2009, 01:17 PM
While Fine or Schouman may be the nominal starter, I think Nelson will be a contributor in the passing game, as well.

I really like what I saw out of Fine last year, and if Nelson plays like we hope, Schouman could get phased out IMO.

BillsWin
07-05-2009, 01:56 PM
As of this very moment I think the only two who are ready to make an impact as a starter are wood and Levitre. I maintain my opinion of Levitre being the best pure LG in the draft and I have high expectations. Everything Ive heard of him has been good. Maybin wont start right away, but I see him getting more and more playtime as the season wears on and our pass rush needs help. Nelson needs a year to reach a starter level, but he is such an athletic and potential freak we need to get him in there alot.

ServoBillieves
07-05-2009, 02:37 PM
I think that Jairus gets the nod week 1 versus the Pats. Byrd could be a devastating factor in the Patriots passing game with his ball skills. His interceptions and passes defended in college were phenomenal. Let's hope he can maintain in the NFL and Donte can move back over to Strong.

No way Maybin starts. Perry and Dick have a fetish for Kelsay and Schobel is just too good (for this team, anyway) to put on the backburner. Hell, even Denney could hit the field before Maybin does, but then again it's not training camp yet.

Wood and Levitre... I see only one making the starting roster, and it's not Wood. I actually agree with Billswin that Levitre was the best guard prospect in the draft, and Wood may be overtaken by Chambers in training camp, due only to the fact that Chambers is the only one who knows the system and also that when he's been on the field, he produces.

As usual, Jan makes a great point with Nelson. I'm surprised Chris didn't put him in the mix. I do have to respectively disagree, though, although I like Fine just fine (pun sadly and pathetically intended), I think that Schouman will be a big contributer this year. If we pull a Darian Barnes again and cut Corey McIntyre midway, I wouldn't mind seeing Schouman back in his "H-Back"/fullback role, like in college and his rookie season. He can block very well but also has the hands (Boise State win anyone?) and running ability to plow the way for Marshawn/Action/Dominic. Nelson could be our fifth "receiver" in spread formations near in enemy territory if we dare do so.

Also, does it ever get old typing in three marquee players at running back? I enjoy it thoroughly...