PDA

View Full Version : Bad Economy may keep the Bills in Buffalo.

HHURRICANE
07-04-2009, 11:34 AM
Alot of talk about the economy this week in the NFL and how it is putting a squeeze on alot of franchises right now.

Tampa bay is in trouble with their ownership having huge ties to real estate.

The Rams have no clear cut deal and you can add the Vikings and Jaguars to the list of franchises looking for buyers.

So the question is whether Wilson has thought of a contignecy plan that doesn't involve selling the team. The team is also worth about 100 million less than it was a year ago.

I'm not sure who their accountants are but their are better options than selling the team if they are trying to avoid estate issues.

Buffalo's unemployment rate is actually 1.5% better than the national average so the argument that the area can't support the team is starting to look like swiss cheese compared to other markets.

Any thoughts from the Buffalonians? Is Yahoo moving to Buffalo?

hydro
07-04-2009, 12:14 PM
Yahoo is officially making a data center in Buffalo, or at least that is what the news is saying.

BillsWin
07-04-2009, 12:21 PM
i think the Buffalo community deserves the right to have stake in the team. Consider how much money families spend in a year on Bills stuff, tickets, jerseys, even that beer or hotdog you buy at the game costs major cash when all added together. The citizens and fans of Buffalo have thrown their hearts and wallets at the feet of this franchise for 50 years. I think its time to give back. Taking away the team would be the ultimate metaphor for a kick in the nuts.

Jan Reimers
07-05-2009, 07:44 AM
i think the Buffalo community deserves the right to have stake in the team. Consider how much money families spend in a year on Bills stuff, tickets, jerseys, even that beer or hotdog you buy at the game costs major cash when all added together. The citizens and fans of Buffalo have thrown their hearts and wallets at the feet of this franchise for 50 years. I think its time to give back. Taking away the team would be the ultimate metaphor for a kick in the nuts.
Right now, public ownership of franchises is not allowed under NFL bylaws. The Green Bay situation has been grandfathered. But who knows if the owners would be agreeable to a change in the bylaws?

And I agree with HH that there are teams in far worse economic shape than Buffalo. The Bills, in fact, are in relatively good shape because of having a strong fan base, a sweetheart stadium lease deal and no debt. If the franchise were to move, the combined debt to buy the franchise, pay NFL relocation costs and build a new stadium would in all likelihood be prohibitive in this economy.

jamze132
07-05-2009, 01:45 PM
Well we know where Jerry Jones stands on the public ownership debate. *******.

PromoTheRobot
07-05-2009, 10:05 PM
This is a pipe dream but I just watched a Jon Bon Jovi interview on 60 minutes. He owns and Arena team and said he wants to buy a piece of an NFL team. Maybe he could buy the Bills?

PTR

Jan Reimers
07-06-2009, 07:26 AM
This is a pipe dream but I just watched a Jon Bon Jovi interview on 60 minutes. He owns and Arena team and said he wants to buy a piece of an NFL team. Maybe he could buy the Bills?

PTR
Then we could have the perfect Bills' anthem: "Livin' on a Prayer."

THATHURMANATOR
07-06-2009, 07:50 AM
GO GO BUFFALO GO GO BUFFALO!!!

Jan Reimers
07-06-2009, 08:09 AM
If it weren't for Ralph's age and obstinate insistence on "selling to the highest bidder," the Bills' franchise would be secure in Buffalo, particularly in this economy.

The team's net revenue is in the top half of the league, we sell out virtually every game, the regional marketing plan is working, there is no debt, and the stadium lease is very favorable to the team. There are teams in far worse situations than us.

While our ticket prices are low, and we have 10-15 (out of 160 something) unsold luxury suites and 1,000 or so unsold premium seats, our overall revenues are fine.

Only Ralph's greed and his meaningless rants about the Buffalo economy can move this franchise. Ralph's bashing of Buffalo and WNY is an obvious red herring, as the team itself is doing just fine, despite the region's problems.

methos4ever
07-06-2009, 10:40 AM
At the end of the day, Ralph's angling in the best way possible for a new stadium and that will either happen around the end of the lease, or shortly after his passing. Just my opinion.

trapezeus
07-06-2009, 10:48 AM
how many kids and family does Ralph has? I think we all know of his daughter's passing earlier in the year? What happens if ralph outlives his kids and wife? Then what? Does he have a motivated interest to divide the team amongst grandchildren and what not?

i know that's a morbid question, but i think a fair one.

Scumbag College
07-06-2009, 09:05 PM
I think that there are a few other NFL teams that may move before the Bills. I think any potential owner will see the Toronto deal and the fact that for the most part the Bills are selling out pretty much every seat before the start of training camp and not want to risk moving the team and failing in the new city.

What I see happening is after Ralph's passing that there will be a new owner pushing for a downtown stadium. Ticket prices will go up probably 20 bucks or so a seat, and the thing that keeps the Bills in town or not will be the possibility of a new stadium and ticket sales with the increase in prices.

jamze132
07-07-2009, 02:53 AM
Even with higher priced seats, I still think fans will fill the stadium each week.

THATHURMANATOR
07-07-2009, 07:54 AM
Even with higher priced seats, I still think fans will fill the stadium each week.
That is a guarantee but there is a cap in regards to prices people will pay if they don't start winning something this century.

jamze132
07-07-2009, 08:35 AM
That is a guarantee but there is a cap in regards to prices people will pay if they don't start winning something this century.
I agree, but if the fans who actually attend the games in the future take a look back and see how much money they saved paying for cheaper tickets compared to the rest of the NFL, I think they can justify payingmore to keep the Bills intact. To be honest, Bills fans haven't paid nearly what other teams' season ticket holders have.

jamze132
07-07-2009, 08:37 AM
I wish I lived within 3 hours of Buffalo, I would be at every tailgate, game, and zonelunch with your douches.

THATHURMANATOR
07-07-2009, 09:02 AM
I agree, but if the fans who actually attend the games in the future take a look back and see how much money they saved paying for cheaper tickets compared to the rest of the NFL, I think they can justify payingmore to keep the Bills intact. To be honest, Bills fans haven't paid nearly what other teams' season ticket holders have.
right as someone who hasn't missed a Bills home game in 7 years I would have no problem paying more for tickets. Just saying that the overflow people that go to have a good time etc will be weeded out if the prices start going to high. Bills games now are just huge parties. LOTS of younger people in the Lots. If you jack the tickets up too high without winning a lot of those people drop out if you ask me.

djjimkelly
07-07-2009, 09:17 AM
Yahoo is officially making a data center in Buffalo, or at least that is what the news is saying.

you guys already have geico if i remember correctly maybe people running buffalo right now actually get it :)

jamze132
07-07-2009, 12:31 PM
right as someone who hasn't missed a Bills home game in 7 years I would have no problem paying more for tickets. Just saying that the overflow people that go to have a good time etc will be weeded out if the prices start going to high. Bills games now are just huge parties. LOTS of younger people in the Lots. If you jack the tickets up too high without winning a lot of those people drop out if you ask me.
Well then the Bills better start winning! :brilliant:

THATHURMANATOR
07-07-2009, 04:28 PM
Well then the Bills better start winning! :brilliant:
They will this year. 10-6

jamze132
07-08-2009, 02:03 AM
They will this year. 10-6
:funny:

Jesus and I both hope you are right.

With the Sabres Fail and my Met's Epic Fail, I am probably going to kick babies if the Bills tank it.