X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • lmcshadow
    • Nov 2007

Can Trent hang the long ball

Hey this is a fare question that im asking....I think Trent will become a good QB when he comes into his own...But looking at the stats he only had 5 balls over 40 yards...and 35 over 20....Well we could say that he didnt have the supporting staff that he needs...or just bad coaching...well this year with T.O. and Evans and a host of others, will trent hang that long ball more often????
    The enemy deserves no mercy....mercy is for the weak.
  • yordad
    • Dec 2007

Re: Can Trent hang the long ball

I am not convinced he has the gun for it. Especially in the cold.
    "Heck, now I am glad his overrated arce made the pro bowl, else we would have only got a 3rd." ~ yordad

"I've just been hit with a piece of sky. " ~ yordad

"Forgive my opinion, but...." ~ yordad

"Warning: I might be hammered." ~ yordad

"I don't care if the word is "your" or "you're", so buzz off. Its (it's) a frickin(') message board." ~ yordad

Comment

• FlyingDutchman
      • Apr 2005

ha the title of this thread made me smile. yeah im 12, so what. I kinda blame the supporting cast and the fact that hes young. The Bills in general have sucked to get legit receiving threats besides Evans for years. Last year we had nobody beside Evans. Lynch struggled to get over 100 yards, and the interior line absolutely blew. He had to take a very cerebral appraoch and just take little plays that are given to him. We should find out this year with Owens. Maybe now that he has a year of confidence and with Owens in the mix, he'll take more shots downfield.
      Last edited by FlyingDutchman; 07-07-2009, 09:14 PM.

Comment

• Buffalogic
        Rumblin' Stumblin' Bumblin'
        • Feb 2006

Just because he can't throw a 'JP' type long ball doesn't mean he can't throw one at all. There's a lot of perfect in stride long passes to Evans this season. TD at the end of the rams game comes to mind. But the best pass play highlight of the year has to go to JP-Evans in the Arizona game. I was in the 5th row for that and that throw was incredible. Too bad JP had no brain because he definitely had the arm.

Comment

• lmcshadow
          • Nov 2007

Originally posted by FlyingDutchman
          ha the title of this thread made me smile. yeah im 12, so what. I kinda blame the supporting cast and the fact that hes young. The Bills in general have sucked to get legit receiving threats besides Evans for years. Last year we had nobody beside Evans. Lynch struggled to get over 100 yards, and the interior line absolutely blew. He had to take a very cerebral appraoch and just take little plays that are given to him. We should find out this year Owens. Maybe now that he has a year of confidence and with Owens in the mix, he'll take more shots downfield.
          Yeah what he said..

Comment

• lmcshadow
            • Nov 2007

Originally posted by Wagon Circler 22
            Just because he can't throw a 'JP' type long ball doesn't mean he can't throw one at all. There's a lot of perfect in stride long passes to Evans this season. TD at the end of the rams game comes to mind. But the best pass play highlight of the year has to go to JP-Evans in the Arizona game. I was in the 5th row for that and that throw was incredible. Too bad JP had no brain because he definitely had the arm.

Comment

• Oldbillsfan
              shelby's big brother smilie smilie
              • Mar 2007

Its gonna be a lot easier for him now, just chuck it as hard as you can to the big man and he will get it.

Comment

• Philagape
                WIN NOW
                • Jul 2002

The question is not can he. We know he can. It's will he.
                "It is better to be divided by truth than to be united by error." -- Martin Luther

"Those who appease the crocodile will simply be eaten last." -- Winston Churchill

2003 BZ Pick Em Champion
                2004 BZ Big Money League Champion

Comment

• Throne Logic
                  Terry Tate - Outside Linebacker
                  • Aug 2002

The problem was with the inconsistent pass blocking. It get's harder and harder to hold onto that ball long enough to let WR's get down field when you frequently find the defense in your face.

He's going to have to trust the offensive line enough to allow time for those long ball options to develop. Last year, without that faith, we saw a bunch of dump-offs.

And don't forget, for every long ball JP got off cleanly, he was sacked 3 other times waiting too long for that option. Something to be said for using the dump-off option on occasion.

Trick is, we need to keep the dump-off more in the frequency of "on-occasion". Refer to first paragraph. . .
                  Still searching for that offensive rhythm.

Comment

• OpIv37
                    Acid Douching Asswipe
                    • Sep 2002

Originally posted by FlyingDutchman
                    ha the title of this thread made me smile. yeah im 12, so what. I kinda blame the supporting cast and the fact that hes young. The Bills in general have sucked to get legit receiving threats besides Evans for years. Last year we had nobody beside Evans. Lynch struggled to get over 100 yards, and the interior line absolutely blew. He had to take a very cerebral appraoch and just take little plays that are given to him. We should find out this year with Owens. Maybe now that he has a year of confidence and with Owens in the mix, he'll take more shots downfield.
                    for once I actually agree with you.

Just because Trent hasn't thrown the long ball doesn't mean he can't. The coaches had the training wheels on him, and they were terrible at play-calling anyway. With TO and Lee, SOMEONE will be open deep and Trent will be able to show if he has it or not.
                    MiKiDo Facebook
                    MiKiDo Website

Comment

• yordad
                      • Dec 2007

Originally posted by Philagape
                      The question is not can he. We know he can. It's will he.
                      I seen Lee open all day (or all night), and I seen a QB who didn't throw it. So, "we" don't "know" jack when it comes to TE's arm strength, no matter how you spin it. You can go ahead and assume, I would rather see it.
                      Last edited by yordad; 07-08-2009, 12:35 AM.
                      "Heck, now I am glad his overrated arce made the pro bowl, else we would have only got a 3rd." ~ yordad

"I don't care if the word is "your" or "you're", so buzz off. Its (it's) a frickin(') message board." ~ yordad

Comment

• Philagape
                        WIN NOW
                        • Jul 2002

Originally posted by yordad
                        I seen Lee open all day (or all night), and I seen a QB who didn't throw it. So, "we" don't "know" jack when it comes to TE's arm strength, no matter how you spin it.
                        The first part of your statement has nothing to do with the other, so the only spin here is yours.
                        He has thrown it long, and connected in stride multiple times. (As with any other pass, timing and accuracy are more important than strength, not that that's a liability, because it isn't.) Therefore whether he can do it has been indisputably answered. "Can" is not an issue.
                        "It is better to be divided by truth than to be united by error." -- Martin Luther

"Those who appease the crocodile will simply be eaten last." -- Winston Churchill

2003 BZ Pick Em Champion
                        2004 BZ Big Money League Champion

Comment

• yordad
                          • Dec 2007

Originally posted by Philagape
                          The first part of your statement has nothing to do with the other, so the only spin here is yours.
                          He has thrown it long, and connected in stride multiple times. (As with any other pass, timing and accuracy are more important than strength, not that that's a liability, because it isn't.) Therefore whether he can do it has been indisputably answered. "Can" is not an issue.
                          Well ok then. Some are easier convinced then others. I guess one must first define "long". Then one must show when he threw it "long". Then one must show where he threw it "long" under adversity. Cuz "we" all "know" Buffalo doesn't usually have ideal circumstances.

I mean seriously, what are you gonna show for proof? A long ball in Cali? Or was it Florida? Oh, wait, September? Oh, I got ya, it was a catch and run that totaled 42?

Go ahead and be convinced. We ain't swaying one another. I have a simple fact for you that you cannot change. I am not convinced. I seen every game, with my own eyes. Only he can convince me. I am wanting.

Moving on now, cuz I don't like conversations in riddle with walls.

Comment

• yordad
                            • Dec 2007

Either way, "will he?" is a legit enough question for me. Even better, "will he do it consistently?" Because "we all know" he hasn't as yet. So, whatev. I am wanting.

Comment

• Mr. Pink
                              Peterman Sucks!
                              • Mar 2006

I seem to remember Trent throwing a perfectly threaded deep ball to Josh Reed with defenders around him to help set up the winning field goal against Washington.

On December 2, 2007.

Unless you don't count a 30 yard pass as a deep ball.

If you do, that dispels the he can't throw it deep and can't throw it deep in poor weather conditions myth.

Comment

Working...
                              X