PDA

View Full Version : Sakic to hang up the skates

BillsSabresB.C.T. Fan
07-07-2009, 08:27 PM
After 20 NHL seasons, Colorado Avalanche captain Joe Sakic reportedly is ready to hang up his skates.
The Avalanche have scheduled a news conference for Thursday afternoon at which the club said Sakic "will make a special announcement regarding his hockey career." Local media reports say he'll announce his retirement.

Sakic, who turned 40 on Tuesday, has played his entire career with the Avalanche franchise since being drafted by the Quebec Nordiques with the 15th pick in the 1987 Entry Draft. He has served as captain since 1992 and has hoisted two Stanley Cups since the franchise moved to Colorado in 1995. In 1,378 games, Sakic has 625 goals and 1,016 assists for 1,641 points, leaving him eighth on the NHL's all-time point list.

He has played in 13 NHL All-Star Games and was named tournament MVP for Canada's gold medal winning team at the 2002 Olympics in Salt Lake City. The 2010 Games will be played in Vancouver, not far from his hometown of Burnaby, B.C., -- and last week, Sakic received an invitation to Team Canada's tryout camp.
http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=436456

I wish you the most luck in the world Joe on your retirement, you were the most classiest player in the NHL next to Pat LaFontaine and Stevie Y. you will be missed and you were one of my favorite's growing up when ever we would play street :hockey: I would pretend that I was Joe Sakic.