PDA

View Full Version : Could Jauron pull a Coughlin?

trapezeus
07-08-2009, 10:59 AM
Do you think Jauron has the ability to be like Coughlin and be vilified one season and then a hero the next?

I personally don't. i think coughlin has always been a good coach and had lost some of his teams in mid 2000's. Jauron hasn't ever been a good coach, but i have my fingers crossed that he's going to show us why they kept him and we'll hear all the stories about how he took on his detractors and made a great team out of average players.

bigbub2352
07-08-2009, 11:02 AM
No way

Philagape
07-08-2009, 11:02 AM
He's been villified for far more than one season.

hydro
07-08-2009, 11:05 AM
He's been vilified for far more than one season.

He made a comparison of being vilified in one season and then the next be a hero. Not that he was vilified for one season.

Philagape
07-08-2009, 11:11 AM
He made a comparison of being vilified in one season and then the next be a hero. Not that he was vilified for one season.

A career of villification should be a major factor. Even if the Bills turn it around, I doubt Dick will get much credit. It will be in spite of him. That can be said because of his dismal history.

trapezeus
07-08-2009, 11:17 AM
i think coughlin had about a year and a half of constant, "he's lost the team." and the players talking ill publically about him. Then they got rid of Tiki, and got hot at the end of the season.

I think Jauron is a good guy in a league that eats good guys for dinner. You can't be a coach that players like playing for. It breeds laziness and inconsistency. You have to be a coach that puts execution at a premium and errors are judged harshly. You don't have to be a screaming lunatic, but you need to be able to not clap when the worst play on the face of the earth occurs. You need to be able to say to someone like JP a year ago, that you aren't good enough to be our back up because we haven't seen you grow. You have to get on Jason Peters for disrupting the season with the holdout and then not being much of a factor in short yardage situations.

I think Jauron is the biggest bust. I looked back at some older posts before the 2008 season, and i wrote something to the effect of "what does jauron have to do to get fired?" and i listed that the dallas game was unforgivable and classic things he botches regularly wasn't getting any better.

And then he goes and loses all six AFC east games and goes 2-8 in the last ten games in 2008. And he's still here. Can't imagine that he gets fired this season even with a losing record. He's already shown us his true awfulness.

Like i've said before, i think he was overachieving at 7-9 the last three years. how disgusting is that?

bigbub2352
07-08-2009, 11:26 AM
i think coughlin had about a year and a half of constant, "he's lost the team." and the players talking ill publically about him. Then they got rid of Tiki, and got hot at the end of the season.

I think Jauron is a good guy in a league that eats good guys for dinner. You can't be a coach that players like playing for. It breeds laziness and inconsistency. You have to be a coach that puts execution at a premium and errors are judged harshly. You don't have to be a screaming lunatic, but you need to be able to not clap when the worst play on the face of the earth occurs. You need to be able to say to someone like JP a year ago, that you aren't good enough to be our back up because we haven't seen you grow. You have to get on Jason Peters for disrupting the season with the holdout and then not being much of a factor in short yardage situations.

I think Jauron is the biggest bust. I looked back at some older posts before the 2008 season, and i wrote something to the effect of "what does jauron have to do to get fired?" and i listed that the dallas game was unforgivable and classic things he botches regularly wasn't getting any better.

And then he goes and loses all six AFC east games and goes 2-8 in the last ten games in 2008. And he's still here. Can't imagine that he gets fired this season even with a losing record. He's already shown us his true awfulness.

Like i've said before, i think he was overachieving at 7-9 the last three years. how disgusting is that?

Great post couldnt agree more
Not only is DJs coaching god awful but his picking of assistants has been a joke and the fact that going 0-6 in our division didnt get him and his whole staff fired is a Joke in its self

justasportsfan
07-08-2009, 11:44 AM
Coughlin knows his X's and O's but had bad people skills. He fixed his approach to players and the result was a sb.

Dick has people skills but his X's and O's are questionable. I don't think Dick will ever lose his team because of how he is with players but it's not easy to fix X's and O's especially when pitting his knowledge vs. guys like BB.

Nighthawk
07-08-2009, 12:20 PM
The simple answer is...NO! The guy has never proven to be a good HC and he's had plenty of time to show what he can do. Being a good coach is being able to make players better...he can't do that.

jamze132
07-08-2009, 12:21 PM
I think the chances of me banging Mila Kunis tonight are greater than Dicknose vilifying anything.

kid mickey
07-08-2009, 12:41 PM
How can you overachieve when you are 7-9? To me that is underachieving. I don't care who the coach is. You finish 7-9 you underachieved anything less than a winning season from any head coach is underachieving. I'm pretty sure every head coach goes into the season setting goals to win.

trapezeus
07-08-2009, 12:51 PM
same way you can overachieve on a test when scoring a 55%. If you haven't studied and you don't know the material, you have no business even getting that 55% and should probably get a 20%. But he overacheived for his own standards.

And that's how awful he is.

Mudflap1
07-08-2009, 01:02 PM
In Jauron's defense, Coughlin had better players.

Manning > Edwards
Strahan > Schobel
Umenyiora > Ellison (both teams had Mitchell at OLB)
Tuck > Stroud
Boss > Fine
Giants offensive line > Bills offensive line

Also, his assistants were better.

Gilbride > Schonert
Spagnuolo > Fewell

So no, I don't see a Giants-like turnaround this season. The Bills are simply still short on talent.

trapezeus
07-08-2009, 02:15 PM
that might be true about being short on talent, but they aren't the lions or anything. They are in the middle of the pack team. if they had a little coaching to take advantage of certain things, they'd be a playoff team.

Canadian'eh!
07-08-2009, 02:24 PM
Coughlin knows his X's and O's but had bad people skills. He fixed his approach to players and the result was a sb.

Dick has people skills but his X's and O's are questionable. I don't think Dick will ever lose his team because of how he is with players but it's not easy to fix X's and O's especially when pitting his knowledge vs. guys like BB.

Nailed it.

Big diff between a good coach who's a dick, and a dumbass who's a nice guy.

Historian
07-08-2009, 02:55 PM
The only thing Jauron could pull is a groin muscle.

Mr. Pink
07-08-2009, 03:09 PM
that might be true about being short on talent, but they aren't the lions or anything. They are in the middle of the pack team. if they had a little coaching to take advantage of certain things, they'd be a playoff team.

Talent wise, look at the rosters...

We're not much better, if at all, than the Lions.

This team has massively overachieved since Jauron has been there.

Throughout his tenure, this team more or less has resembled an expansion franchise.

We don't build any sort of nucleus, players get good, then get jettisoned.

Unless we're building around Lee Evans and Josh Reed.

Jauron won't pull a Coughlin here period. Vince Lombardi, if he was still alive, couldn't pull a Coughlin here.

Nighthawk
07-08-2009, 04:37 PM
Talent wise, look at the rosters...

We're not much better, if at all, than the Lions.

This team has massively overachieved since Jauron has been there.

Throughout his tenure, this team more or less has resembled an expansion franchise.

We don't build any sort of nucleus, players get good, then get jettisoned.

Unless we're building around Lee Evans and Josh Reed.

Jauron won't pull a Coughlin here period. Vince Lombardi, if he was still alive, couldn't pull a Coughlin here.

Yet again, you are simply wrong. Less talented teams with good Head Coaches can be better then the talent they have. This team isn't Super Bowl caliber, but it isn't nearly as bad as you always make it out to be. If we had a real HC and not Dickey, I'm fairly comfortable saying that it would no doubt be more competitive then it is with this bungling fool running the show.

trapezeus
07-08-2009, 04:56 PM
every season we have between 1-3 games where coaching is the sole reason for the loss.....and that's conservative.

Every game, even with JP as qb, we still were in most games on the defensive side of the ball. but our uber conservative, unimaginative offensive strategy, we tire out our good D effort.

i wish Jauron would pay everyone their season ticket dues back for another sub.500 season. Maybe that would get him to demand more from his players.

kid mickey
07-08-2009, 04:58 PM
same way you can overachieve on a test when scoring a 55%. If you haven't studied and you don't know the material, you have no business even getting that 55% and should probably get a 20%. But he overacheived for his own standards.

And that's how awful he is.

I'm not sure that's true. If you want to go by his standards which is pretty much 7-9 then he didn't over or under achieve. He just met what he's known for doing 7-9. No worse, no better.

Night Train
07-08-2009, 07:28 PM
Coughlin had very good success at Boston College and Jacksonville...something Jauron could never relate to. Jauron had one good year in Chicago (13-3) and then went right out in the playoffs.

Plus he's the polar opposite in personality.

I think Jauron is a terrible game manager and too soft on the roster. Coughlin is neither and wears a SB ring.

Game, Set, Match.

feldspar
07-08-2009, 09:44 PM
The real question is if Coughlin can pull a Dick.

But seriously folks, Coughlin had an overall winning record before he won the Super Bowl. Meanwhile, Jauron won't have a winning record even if he wins the next 19 games. As a coach, old Dick has seen ONE playoff game, which he lost...and that's over eight seasons: 5 in Chicago and three in Buffalo - 5 games or so in Detroit as interim coach, too.

I lived in Jacksonville for a little while in the beginning of the Jaguars and their success. They are two different guys entirely.