• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • madness
    • Apr 2003

15: Who will be the nickel CB?

Chris Brown, Lead Journalist
    Posted Jul 10, 2009

It was a hotly contested position last summer and the situation figures to be no different later this month at St. John Fisher. On a roster blessed with cornerback depth, Buffalo’s coaching staff will have a good dilemma when it comes to deciding the player best fit for the team’s nickel corner role.
    “It’s good to have depth at that position,” said defensive backs coach George Catavolos. “Last year, we went through three.”
    Ashton Youboty won the nickel corner job after a strong preseason last year, but was lost for the season after just five games due to plantar fasciitis in both feet, which required surgery.
    Not feeling completely comfortable playing rookies Leodis McKelvin or Reggie Corner so early in the season, the defensive staff began putting Donte Whitner on the slot receiver in nickel packages.
    Whitner would shift back and forth between safety and nickel corner until he suffered a shoulder injury and missed time as well. Enter Reggie Corner. The former fourth-round pick saw extensive playing time in the nickel role over the final quarter of the season and performed admirably.
    With Youboty, Whitner, Corner and veteran free agent Drayton Florence all with time on the job, Catavolos likes that he has options.

“It’s a tough position because it’s demanding,” Catavolos said. “There’s some line backer assignments as well as corner assignments. We have four individuals that have experience in playing that position so hopefully we can be more productive there.”...

• Tatonka
    • Jul 2002

Re: 15: Who will be the nickel CB?

i am pretty comfortable with the best guy winning the job.. if youboty can play like he did for teh first month of last year before his injury, that would be great.. because he was our best player on defense for probably 4 of the 5 games.
    "All hockey players are bilingual. They know English and profanity." ~ Gordie Howe

Comment

• Oldbillsfan
      shelby's big brother smilie smilie
      • Mar 2007

I think its gonna be corner

Comment

• yordad
        • Dec 2007

Don't make Youboty whoop some booty!
        "Heck, now I am glad his overrated arce made the pro bowl, else we would have only got a 3rd." ~ yordad

"I've just been hit with a piece of sky. " ~ yordad

"Forgive my opinion, but...." ~ yordad

"Warning: I might be hammered." ~ yordad

"I don't care if the word is "your" or "you're", so buzz off. Its (it's) a frickin(') message board." ~ yordad

Comment

Working...
        X