• Show
Clear All
  • Tatonka
    • Jul 2002

Trent Edwards Faceoff

Faceoff - QB Trent Edwards, Buffalo Bills
    Posted 7/7, exclusive to Footballguys.com

Upside - by Matt Waldman

Trent Edwards' future outlook gets penalized for being smart in a challenging situation. Footballguys' Worst Case section on Edwards' player page knocks him for his tendency to look for the check-down. If he were more aggressive, he would have repeated J.P. Losman's mistakes -- and we all know how well that worked out. Like Edwards, Drew Brees was also once penalized for being a smart QB with limited resources. It isn't the only thing that Edwards and Brees have in common.

I wrote about Brees when the Chargers' QB was coming off a 2003 season where the team jettisoned their best receiver Curtis Conway and replaced him with an over-muscled, underachieving David Boston. With only a talented young runner, Brees managed to complete 60.84 percent of his passes and throw 17 TDs to 16 INTs. Mediocre stats, but if you consider only 21 second-year, QBs in the modern era completed over 60 percent of their passes with a positive TD-INT ratio, then it changes things.

Fourteen of the 21 QBs with this accomplishment had long, productive careers as starters and 10 of them led their teams to at least one Super Bowl: Staubach, Montana, Simms, Marino, Kelly, Favre, Eason, (Peyton) Manning, Warner, and Brady. Brees' has become a more than worthy addition to this list despite initial criticism that he was as a weak-armed, game manager.

Edwards surrounding talent in 2008 was similar to Brees' second year. The Bills QB's only downfield threat was Lee Evans. If Evans didn't beat his opponent off the line immediately, then who were the other consistent downfield threats in this offense? Not James Hardy, an overrated draft pick lacking the agility and aggressive mindset to catch the ball in traffic on contested intermediate routes. Not Roscoe Parrish, a special teams guy whose skill as a receiver is limited to the underneath zone. Definitely not Robert Royal, a reliable but pedestrian short-range option. Josh Reed? Don't even joke with me.

Despite Edwards' limited surrounding talent, the second-year starter completed 65 percent of his passes with 11 scores and 10 interceptions. These numbers put him in elite company and reflect his skills more than anything else I can mention. Most of the quarterbacks listed above had more surrounding talent than a decent runner and quality receiver at their disposal when they eventually hit their stride.

Edwards earns that chance to elevate his stats with Terrell Owens and rookie TE Shawn Nelson now in the fold. And do I really need to explain how Owens, Evans, and Nelson will force defenses to play the Bills straight up? Plus, offensive coordinator Turk Schonert installed the hurry-up offense and is giving the QB more freedom to change plays at the line.

These changes reflect a trust in Edwards' ability to process the game. The QB will finally get more chances to make blitzing defenses pay rather than check down if the primary option is covered. The Bills offense will leap forward in 2009. Expect the same from Edwards' fantasy production.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Downside - by Jeff Tefertiller

Trent Edwards is a player that many fantasy owners are touting as the sleeper of the year. Terrell Owens joins the Bills and adds a great weapon for the Buffalo passing game. He joins Lee Evans and a strong running game led by Marshawn Lynch and Fred Jackson. Considering that Edwards is being taken as QB18 off the board, he is not worth the risk. He is being drafted before David Garrard, Joe Flacco, and Jake Delhomme. Last year, all three passers finished ahead of Edwards, who ended the season as QB23.

pretty good assessment on both sides. i would take him as a back up in my fantasy league, but depending on him would be suicide.
    "All hockey players are bilingual. They know English and profanity." ~ Gordie Howe
  • Typ0
    honey pie
    • Jul 2002

Re: Trent Edwards Faceoff

If he stays on the field he's going to have huge numbers this year. I loved the dink and dunk that wasn't really a dink and dunk. The guy made good choices and put us in positions to win instead of bad ones that beat us. He can throw the ball very well.

Comment

• Philagape
      WIN NOW
      • Jul 2002

He's an excellent fantasy backup
      "It is better to be divided by truth than to be united by error." -- Martin Luther

"Those who appease the crocodile will simply be eaten last." -- Winston Churchill

2003 BZ Pick Em Champion
      2004 BZ Big Money League Champion

Comment

• yordad
        • Dec 2007

Originally posted by Typ0
        If he stays on the field he's going to have huge numbers this year. I loved the dink and dunk that wasn't really a dink and dunk. The guy made good choices and put us in positions to win instead of bad ones that beat us. He can throw the ball very well.
        How was it not really a dink and dunk? It was seriously the most dinking and dunking I have ever seen. Either way though, I think he will progress.

One of his biggest problems wasn't even mentioned by the dissenter in that article: his o-line. Heck, I am scare for him.

One other huge problem was mentioned however...
        Lastly, for those thinking that Buffalo might open up the offense, I would like to remind you that Dick Jauron is still the head coach. After Jauron's first year as a NFL head coach (1999 with the Bears), his teams have not finished higher than 22nd (in the NFL) in passing yards. Over the last three seasons in Buffalo, Jauron's offenses have finished 24th or worse in passing attempts. It seems unlikely that Trent Edwards will get enough pass attempts to be a viable fantasy option for owners.
        "Heck, now I am glad his overrated arce made the pro bowl, else we would have only got a 3rd." ~ yordad

"I've just been hit with a piece of sky. " ~ yordad

"Forgive my opinion, but...." ~ yordad

"Warning: I might be hammered." ~ yordad

"I don't care if the word is "your" or "you're", so buzz off. Its (it's) a frickin(') message board." ~ yordad

Comment

• Tatonka
          • Jul 2002

Originally posted by Typ0
          you have to take into account though that the guy really has not played well in a bad weather game yet.. and at the end of the year.. when it really counts.. there is a strong possibility that he will be playing in bad weather.. either at home or at several other similar locations like new york or new england.
          "All hockey players are bilingual. They know English and profanity." ~ Gordie Howe

Comment

• BillsWin
            man amongst boys
            • Oct 2008

Fantasy aspect aside i think that was a great article highlighting Edward's potential to lead the Bills and do it well for years to come. Besides, whats the worst that can happen? We suck, we draft Bradford, McCoy or Snead. win-win really. I think hell be an excellent QB if hes healthy all 16 reg season games.
            I am The Batman.

Comment

• Luisito23
              Men Have Superbowl Gold, Legends Have Platinum Hearts!!!
              • Apr 2003

Originally posted by BillsWin
              Fantasy aspect aside i think that was a great article highlighting Edward's potential to lead the Bills and do it well for years to come.

So do I...Thanks a lot for posting it T.
              "Expect rejection, but expect more to overcome it."
              ***Marv Levy.***

"Coach Levy is one of the most inspirational people that I have ever known."
              ***Thurman Thomas.***

"You're not going to find a more classier, down-to-Earth person away from the field than Marv Levy. He's a guy who's pretty much made me what I am today as far as a professional player and a person."
              ***Jim Kelly***

Marv Levy's Website

Comment

• Typ0
                honey pie
                • Jul 2002

Originally posted by Tatonka
                you have to take into account though that the guy really has not played well in a bad weather game yet.. and at the end of the year.. when it really counts.. there is a strong possibility that he will be playing in bad weather.. either at home or at several other similar locations like new york or new england.

I thought he played fine in the bad weather games. He didn't light anything up but the games he played where the weather was bad the conditions were brutal and the offense at least moved under his control.

Comment

Working...
                X