• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • The Juice Is Loose
    All-Pro Zoner
    • Feb 2009

Donte might be riding the pine

Donte Whitner has performed a variety of roles since getting drafted eighth overall by the Bills in 2006.

I'm not surprised. I love the Bills and I have high hopes, but not in Whitner. He's more worried about playing the PR part of the game than the XO part.

I say trade him while he's worth something. He'll be in the UFL in 2 years.
  • Dr. Lecter
    Zero for Zero!
    • Mar 2003

Re: Donte might be riding the pine

If Byrd stats at FS, Whitner (not Scott) starts at SS.
    Originally posted by mysticsoto
    Lecter is right in everything he said.

Comment

• Jaybird
      • Dec 2005

Originally posted by Dr.Lecter
      If Byrd stats at FS, Whitner (not Scott) starts at SS.

Exactly

Comment

• methos4ever
        • Apr 2004

This is conjecture from a guy that is tying separate articles together to make his own pseudo story....

Comment

• Ebenezer
          Give me a minute...
          • Jul 2002

Players don't have value right now...any value would have been before the draft.

For all the education and practice each of us undergoes, the achievment of mastery is ultimately the outcome of a personal quest for understanding.

Comment

• yordad
            • Dec 2007

Honestly, I wouldn't be shocked. He is more like a SS, FS, CB hybrid. Not really that good at any, but not that bad either. Byrd may be better at FS, and Scott may be stronger at strong.

It would be a little surprising though. I think if the Bills had a top 20 front 7, Whitner could make some more impact plays. I guess it just depends on what the Bills want to do.

It also might be game by game. If it is a game where the opposition has a big stud TE, we might use Scott. If it is a play were we are going to blitz the safety, it might be Scott too. However, if it's the Pats, we start Whitner because his range is greater.

Either way though, all this is moot til we see what Byrd can do.
            Last edited by yordad; 07-11-2009, 01:30 PM.
            "Heck, now I am glad his overrated arce made the pro bowl, else we would have only got a 3rd." ~ yordad

"I've just been hit with a piece of sky. " ~ yordad

"Forgive my opinion, but...." ~ yordad

"Warning: I might be hammered." ~ yordad

"I don't care if the word is "your" or "you're", so buzz off. Its (it's) a frickin(') message board." ~ yordad

Comment

• KO1
              • Sep 2006

What is Whitners true role...SS or FS??

Comment

• justasportsfan
                • Jul 2002

haha. Thats Florio for you.
                sacrifice1
                https://theinterviewwithgod.com/video/

Comment

• Michael82
                  • Jul 2002

Originally posted by justasportsfan
                  haha. Thats Florio for you.
                  Florio must have been drinking a little too much when he wrote that. There's no way in hell that Whitner is sitting on the bench. Sure they love Byrd, that's why they drafted him...for FS. But that means Whitner will go back to SS.

Comment

• DMBcrew36
                    • Feb 2005

Waiting for OpIv to chime in here.

Comment

• BillsWin
                      man amongst boys
                      • Oct 2008

That is ridiculous, Donte already said in an interview with nfl.com that he would be switching back to strong safety IF Byrd was ready. Considering Byrd has missed every off season practice prior to camp it may be possible Bryd wont even be ready. Even if he was, it would be Donte and Byrd with Donte moving around in packages and Scott coming in with certain schemes and looks to cover the faster tight ends. This is all hear say and rumor tossing because there is no real news out there.
                      I am The Batman.

Comment

• jamze132
                        • Jun 2003

Whitner can say whatever he wants. If Byrd shows some flashes in camp, Whitner is going to find himself back at SS and when he sucks at that, he'll then be on the bench. I do not want in any way, shape, or form, Whitner playing FS for the Bills.

Worst draft pick in recent memory. Wanna know the truth? If the guy wasn't taken 8th overall, he probably wouldn't even be on our roster right now, much less starting. If we took him in say the 3rd or 4th round, no one and I mean no one would be keeping him in the line-up with the way he plays. See Ko Simpson.
                        Last edited by jamze132; 07-12-2009, 02:13 AM.

Comment

• bills&sabresmvf
                          • May 2005

Originally posted by jamze132
                          Whitner can say whatever he wants. If Byrd shows some flashes in camp, Whitner is going to find himself back at SS and when he sucks at that, he'll then be on the bench. I do not want in any way, shape, or form, Whitner playing FS for the Bills.

Worst draft pick in recent memory. Wanna know the truth? If the guy wasn't taken 8th overall, he probably wouldn't even be on our roster right now, much less starting. If we took him in say the 3rd or 4th round, no one and I mean no one would be keeping him in the line-up with the way he plays. See Ko Simpson.
                          He's absolutely Right. Scott has made more plays over the past year than Whitner has. Does that say a lot? NO! That's why they drafted Byrd. It was made the put pressure on him, lets see if he responds...I know some of you have Donte added on facebook...look how obsessed he is with that over his game.

Comment

• jamze132
                            • Jun 2003

Originally posted by bills&sabresmvf
                            He's absolutely Right. Scott has made more plays over the past year than Whitner has. Does that say a lot? NO! That's why they drafted Byrd. It was made the put pressure on him, lets see if he responds...I know some of you have Donte added on facebook...look how obsessed he is with that over his game.
                            I don't think the Bills drafted Byrd to "motivate" Donte. I think they drafted Byrd to replace Donte.

Comment

• Jan Reimers
                              Thank You, Terry and Kim, for Saving the Bills. Now, Work on the Sabres.
                              • May 2003

Whitner is a better football player than Scott, period.
                              Should have known, way back in 1960 when we drafted Richie Lucas Number 1, that this would be a long, hard ride. But who could have known it would be THIS bad?

Comment

Working...
                              X