PDA

View Full Version : 13: Can Butler re-master right tackle?

Syderick
07-13-2009, 11:00 AM
Looks like Brad Butler is trying to adjust to playing tackle again:

http://www.buffalobills.com/news/article-3/13-can-butler-re-master-right-tackle/062cdb33-b3d5-471c-8e47-bb6afedd13fb

Schobel94
07-13-2009, 12:03 PM
It says Butler will be matched up against Mario Williams and Joey Porter, but I thought they played on the right side or am I mistaken?

Lexwhat
07-13-2009, 03:18 PM
"Re-Master"????

I didn't know he was a "master" in the 1st place...

Jan Reimers
07-13-2009, 06:31 PM
Butler was a very good tackle at Virginia, and has the height to be a better tackle than guard. He's also very bright and highly motivated. He will do well at RT.

Captain gameboy
07-13-2009, 07:39 PM
Butler was a very good tackle at Virginia, and has the height to be a better tackle than guard. He's also very bright and highly motivated. He will do well at RT.

Butler was a decent tackle at Virginia, and I never thought he was an NFL caliber tackle.
I posted this same thing the day we drafted him, thinking he had room to fill out and become a decent NFL guard, but lacking the quickness that NFL tackles need.

I think this is a compromise based on necessity, and something we will be looking to cure in the future.

Brad Butler is a really good kid, and really smart, but if I was game planning against the Bills, I would rotate a speed rusher at the end, and bring really quick LB's against his position.

UVA has produced Brick, Brandon Albert and Eugene Monroe (albeit on the left side), in the last few years.

I really like Butler, but he isn't close to those.
Lets hope it works out.

You can teach technique.
You can't teach quick.

Maybin vs. Butler, for those reasons, is worth watching in camp.

Jan Reimers
07-14-2009, 08:27 AM
You can't teach quick, but you can't teach smart or motivated, either.

madness
07-14-2009, 08:39 AM
Some of the best tackles in the league make up for lack of quickness with excellent technique, motivation and smarts.

If Butler gets the technique down, there's no reason why he couldn't succeed in this league as a RT.

Captain gameboy
07-14-2009, 08:58 AM
You can't teach quick, but you can't teach smart or motivated, either.

I agree.

But, the NFL tackle position is not rocket surgery.
Our defensive end selection is a perfect example.

Smart....Motivated....No sacks.

Good luck Brad, you're a great kid.

But I get the feeling this is not a long term solution.

justasportsfan
07-14-2009, 09:40 AM
He's been on the line-up long enough to crack a starting spot. Can you say Duke Preston?

ParanoidAndroid
07-14-2009, 09:54 AM
I think he is quick enough for the RT position. I worry more about whether Walker is quick enough for the LT spot.