PDA

View Full Version : (Bills Related)- I'm Putting Together A New Publication

patmoran2006
07-13-2009, 11:54 AM
Listen up, guys (and gals)

I am very VERY heavily leaning towards launching a local/regional weekly sports publication and website by the fall titled "Buffalo Sports Weekly". While the Bills and Sabres will be covered of course, the publication is going to lean heavily on local amateur athletics, especially college, high school, golf, special interest, etc.

As a long-time member of this board,I'm planning on tieing Billszone into a lot of marketing, cross-promotion things we do.

I'm looking for a few good people with talent (already got a very solid creative/content team brewing) that may be interested in doing some work, getting some exposure and in most cases, making a little extra pocket money.

I'm in the process of completing my business/marketing plan which will be completed in the next week or two.

I'm looking for two areas.
1- A potential business partner(s) and/or investor(s): this is pretty self-explanatory. Looking for one, possibly a few more owners. Cost isn't what you expect, more than likely between 10-20K max. That of course would be more detailed when my business plan is completed.

2- Looking for some talent for the publication, possibly in these areas:
A) Writers
B) Photography
C) Editing
D) Graphics
E) Advertising Sales ***
F) Website Help, possibly a site moderator.

The current plan is to offer a weekly retail print publication. It would be supported in large by a website, which would mainly consist of current issue story previews, past stories, some exclusive content, up to date news, and a scrolling "ticker" with latest WNY sports news and events. Of course, it would also serve as a vehicle for additional exposure for advertisers.

I've been in this game before and I know this area as well as anybody. It's starved for quality sports coverage, especially with unique angles. This is a one newspaper town and I'm positive that a first class, quality publication would make a tremendous impact amongst sports fans. When it comes to Buffalo BIlls coverage, Billszone will be HEAVILY factored into content and marketing.

If anybody is intersested in either #1 or anything in #2, please shoot me a PERSONAL MESSAGE here instead of writing in this thread. Thanks for letting me put this up, Mods- and lets see what happens.

patmoran2006
07-13-2009, 11:55 AM
forgive spelling (and that's why mags have editors)-- I just whipped that together in 5 minutes for here.. My fingers are faster than my brain I guess.

homeslice5484
07-13-2009, 12:01 PM
Ill def read it

patmoran2006
07-13-2009, 12:59 PM
BTW, I didnt mention internet podcasting because Coach Sal you are DEFINITELY my guy!

WeAreArthurMoates
07-13-2009, 01:03 PM
I'd def be interested in graphics. Spent two years at vocational taking advertising design and production, went to Cazenovia College and got a Bachelor in Visual Communications and then spent two in a print shop. I'm currently a Sports Coordinator for the biggest YMCA in Syracuse (I love my job) but would love to do this to keep my skills sharp. PM if you need one.

patmoran2006
07-13-2009, 02:11 PM
Got any graphic examples?

Michael82
07-13-2009, 02:28 PM
What kind of photographs would u be looking for?

Captain Obvious
07-13-2009, 02:37 PM
Isn't this your 4th attempt at this?

WeAreArthurMoates
07-13-2009, 02:42 PM
Got any graphic examples?
<!-- / message -->

I'll see if I can find some to email, what type of graphics you looking for.

jamze132
07-13-2009, 02:56 PM
I'll give you my weekly Bills outlook from Germany.

Good luck pat.

casdhf
07-13-2009, 03:00 PM
Pat, you can't afford me, but I'd be happy to hear your offer!

ServoBillieves
07-14-2009, 10:36 AM
Well you've seen my writing (I'm guessing) so if that's in your interest I'm game.

Dying_-2-_Live
07-14-2009, 11:13 AM
I'm hoping this thing gets going. I can't wait to see some quality Bills/Sabres coverage

yordad
07-14-2009, 11:36 AM
COngrats Pat. I hope it works out.

bigbub2352
07-14-2009, 12:45 PM
I would be interested in writing a column for it, and may be able to help recruit investors
let me know
bub

JD
07-14-2009, 01:19 PM
How many pages do you have in mind? Sounds like it could get lengthy if you cover all local college games/sabres/bills in the fall.. maybe switch more to the minor local teams after the football season? Awesome idea though, we definitely need it in this sports rich area. Without Empire Sports Network, life isn't the same :sadwalk:

raphael120
07-15-2009, 04:24 PM
hey pat im willing to do some more graphics for your project, or composite ralphs face on a dollar bill.

Coach Sal
07-15-2009, 08:00 PM
BTW, I didnt mention internet podcasting because Coach Sal you are DEFINITELY my guy!

Let me know when things get going and I'll try to help you in any way I can.

I have some stuff brewing for the fall, as well. I'm sure we could help each other at some point.

BillsWin
07-15-2009, 09:52 PM
I just got out of print to pursue a career more centralized in broadcasting. Good luck with your business venture. Im sure it will be successful. Buffalo needs a good local sports outlet.