PDA

View Full Version : Apparently rausenhaus and bills have plans to keep T.O. in buffalo past 09

jimbohastle51
07-13-2009, 12:06 PM
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2009/07/13/to-in-buffalo-beyond-2009/

kinda figured that at 35 T.O. wouldnt just want 1 year because 1 year wont change a career long stereotype and if no teams wanted him before a 1000 yard 10 TD season what team would want him next year? i am sure in him and his agents heads they told the bills they would showcase what they can do for the bills this season and then get an extension done in season or shortly after. probably a 2 year extension (he had just signed a 3 year extension in dallas, so this season and a 2 year extension would make up the 3 year one he just lost in big D). there is also a good point in the arcticle that says that our front office could basically tell any coach that they hired if jauron is fired that T.O. will be back regardless of there thought. and knowing buffalo they wont give a head coach that much control anyways (the only reason jauron got the job over sherman is because jauron didnt mind giving up alot of control to levy and the brain trust). besides if T.O. sells tickets and jerseys in WNY there is no way the bills wont ride it as long as they can, or at least a couple seasons.

Yasgur's Farm
07-13-2009, 12:09 PM
This is probably good news... Hardy and Johnson can learn a lot from T.O.

madness
07-13-2009, 12:16 PM
So it looks like the possibility is open IF we can win this year.

Syderick
07-13-2009, 12:41 PM
If it works it out for him to stay longer, it'll help with some consistency at wr.

trapezeus
07-13-2009, 12:43 PM
it would be so sad if the agent and TO have to put the ultimatum to the team, "show us that you want to win and we'll show you an extra year or two."

not that that is how it is, but i can imagine that being the case for the bills.

ddaryl
07-13-2009, 12:46 PM
the question is... DOES TO show any sort of loyalty to the Bills and sign an extension similiar to the 1 year offer he signed with us, or does he demand more then Evans ????

I beleive TO is going to shock the NFL and help put the Bills back on the map. I beliee he'll demonstrate some loyalty to this team if we have a solid season and he gets his touches.

I honestly believe this young Bills team is perfect for TO. his style may be controversial, but his efforts will be contagious, and TO will get accolades at seasons end for what he brought to the Bills... TO will love the postive press and all will be peachy keen for TO to stay a few more years..

unfortuantely its never year 1 that brings out the whine in TO... It's years 2 and three...

still hoping this all works out though...

WeAreArthurMoates
07-13-2009, 01:05 PM
I beleive TO is going to shock the NFL and help put the Bills back on the map. I beliee he'll demonstrate some loyalty to this team if we have a solid season and he gets his touches.

I believe that same, and while Lee will be more the game breaker, TO will get the stats. I think Trent and this staff will force feed him the ball. If we leads us to the playoffs I think he will get MVP consideration considering his star status compared to our team.

jimbohastle51
07-13-2009, 01:18 PM
the question is... DOES TO show any sort of loyalty to the Bills and sign an extension similiar to the 1 year offer he signed with us, or does he demand more then Evans ????

I honestly believe this young Bills team is perfect for TO. his style may be controversial, but his efforts will be contagious, and TO will get accolades at seasons end for what he brought to the Bills... TO will love the postive press and all will be peachy keen for TO to stay a few more years..

unfortuantely its never year 1 that brings out the whine in TO... It's years 2 and three...

still hoping this all works out though...

the good thing is with the guaranteed amount of money we are already giving him we have kinda set our selves up so if we are forced to franchise him after the season (the average salary of the top 5 recievers in the league) it would be around 8 million for 1 season guaranteed and we are already giving him 6.5 so really we would only be giving him 1.5 million more for another season, that really isnt a big raise if he brings revenue 8-12 TD's and 1000 yards recieving and evans gets better. we are set up nicely to keep him. also remember he is 35 and will be 36 next season and as i stated 1 season of shuting up and putting up numbers isnt going to break a career long stereotype, so i am sure he would rather work a 2 year extension out and just get paid and stay in the situation he already likes than risk having to take the same or less money from a team like oakland or st. louis, or flat out retire. he knows if he is going to keep playing football beyond this season it will have to be with the Bills. his days of getting the choice of team and monster signing bonus are over. he just got his last big payday and team switch. he is going to have to work it out and be a bill for a couple years and try to elevate the bills and hope to get rewarded for it. and honestly i do think our offense is going to be sick this year.

jamze132
07-13-2009, 03:07 PM
Everyone knows what happens to the guy throwing the ball to TO in his second season...

TigerJ
07-13-2009, 03:22 PM
I have no objection to the Bills signing TO to an extension, as long as there are some protections against some of the typical TO shenanigans of the past. Therefore, the signing bonus has to be limited in size with maybe some additional bonuses tied to on field and locker room behavior.

The Popcorn
07-14-2009, 07:13 AM
Popcorn will rank right up there with chicken wings if Terrell Owens does sign an extension with the Bills.

JD
07-14-2009, 01:21 PM
We kept Jauron when we didn't do anything.. why wouldn't we extend TO after another losing season?

kid mickey
07-14-2009, 02:24 PM
Extending Owens would be risky. Thing is Reed is also in a contract year. I would resign T.O only if I didn't see a whole lot of promise in what Steve Johnson could do. Of course if T.O blows up and has a monster year it would be tough to watch him walk. I want to see what he does this year first. I want to see how all the receivers progress. This is the first year in a long time that I am really psyched about what this offense could be capable of. Don't let me down Buffalo.

PIZ
07-16-2009, 11:32 AM
Maybe he'll like it so much that he will retire a Buffalo Bill and go to the Hall of Fame as a Buffalo Bill?

DRELOVESBills
07-16-2009, 12:17 PM
Maybe he'll like it so much that he will retire a Buffalo Bill and go to the Hall of Fame as a Buffalo Bill?

sorry but that will never happen because he will go to the hall as a 49er

dplus47
07-16-2009, 12:37 PM
there is also a good point in the arcticle that says that our front office could basically tell any coach that they hired if jauron is fired that T.O. will be back regardless of there thought. and knowing buffalo they wont give a head coach that much control anyways (the only reason jauron got the job over sherman is because jauron didnt mind giving up alot of control to levy and the brain trust).

nothing says "we're all about winning" quite like emasculating your head coach. i don't understand why a team would do this. for bills fans' sake, if the above quote is true, i hope jauron just stays, because if they fire him and bring in another guy only to undermine any authority he has, they're just gonna be rebuilding again a few years down the road.

as for t.o., i like him as a player, but there's no way i'd extend him during his first season. let it play out, see how it goes, then pull the trigger on something after he proves himself, both on and off the field.

the bills are the ones with the leverage here (because no one else wanted t.o.), and the only parties an extension helps are rosenhaus and t.o.

trapezeus
07-16-2009, 01:01 PM
but if TO has a big year, someone else might be willing to pony up for one year and say the same thing, "he's good in his first year. hopefully our one year contract gets us over the hump." and it could be a bidding war. if he is working with Edwards and Edwards proves he's our guy this year, sign em both before they out play their worth.

I believe you can look under the "chris Drury" file in terms of why you shouldn't wait.

Tatonka
07-16-2009, 01:43 PM
Everyone knows what happens to the guy throwing the ball to TO in his second season...

he turns gay?

madness
07-16-2009, 02:07 PM
he turns gay?

I suspect all three were gay long before TO showed up.

Mr. Pink
07-16-2009, 02:08 PM
I want no part of this guy past 1 season based on his history.

jamze132
07-17-2009, 12:21 AM
I want no part of this guy past 1 season based on his history.
If we are winning, I do.

Mr. Pink
07-17-2009, 06:38 AM
If we are winning, I do.

Philly won, Dallas won...

How did that work out?

Exactly my point.

Jan Reimers
07-17-2009, 06:50 AM

How did that work out?

Exactly my point.
Let's win first, and then worry about TO's past history.

BertSquirtgum
07-17-2009, 07:07 PM
i heard T.O. is moving to Youngstown. anyone else here this rumor?

Novacane
07-17-2009, 08:35 PM
Let's not get ahead of ourselves. See how it goes and go from there.

jamze132
07-17-2009, 11:34 PM

How did that work out?

Exactly my point.
I am talking about winning more than 7 games in a season for a change. You keep enjoying mediocrity.

Mr. Pink
07-18-2009, 04:38 PM
I am talking about winning more than 7 games in a season for a change. You keep enjoying mediocrity.

How does my opinion of not wanting the cancer TO become = accepting mediocrity?

It's a great move for one season, past that, it's a disaster waiting to happen.

You don't win many games or have championship potential when you have a guy who divides the locker room and starts blaming everyone and anyone he can. Which is exactly what TO turns into after his first season.

Night Train
07-18-2009, 05:12 PM
He's 36 and could hit the wall at any moment.

The happy talk is nice but lets take it 1 year at a time. I would NEVER give him more than a 1 year deal from here on out. We have Evans, Johnson, Hardy & Reed to fall back on.

Concentrate on actual areas of need to spend the $$

ServoBillieves
07-18-2009, 07:46 PM
i heard T.O. is moving to Youngstown. anyone else here this rumor?

Heard he's actually buying a home there. He has homes all over in places he likes, and he seems to like Buffalo (Key to the city would make me feel the same) so... Dunno, we'll see where he lands.

BillsWin
07-18-2009, 08:35 PM
Well guys, we (the fans) have done good. Done real good.

syracuse76
07-18-2009, 08:44 PM
this would be good news i had a feeling something this would happen. if we do well i would be hard to let a guy like that leave seemings how he would be a big part of it.

jamze132
07-18-2009, 11:48 PM

You don't win many games or have championship potential when you have a guy who divides the locker room and starts blaming everyone and anyone he can. Which is exactly what TO turns into after his first season.
Do you really think a divided locker room is going to prevent us from going 7-9 again?

X-Era
07-19-2009, 08:26 AM

I wouldnt even call it a great move. It was a decent move for what he can bring us on the field, it is a very questionable move for what he could bring to the locker room. Overall, it was an extremely risky move that makes us better on the field.

The thing is, the fans seem to be loving him, as does the team, and T.O. seems to really like the team and fans up here.

Maybe its just one of those situations that completely works but no one would have expected it.

Your right that we should take a wait and see approach. But, Im glad the coaches and FO brought the right approach with him which is that he comes with a clean slate, they will stand behind him like they do with anyone, and if things fail, it will be because of what happens here. Not what happened in the past.

I can picture him going off on the sideline, half complaining, half motivating. The part I cant picture yet is what the rest of the Bills will look like... how they will react. I hope they get motivated and play better, but obviously, it could go the other way.

Its wait and see.

Mr. Pink
07-19-2009, 09:16 AM
It's a great move for getting some positive national exposure.

Selling tickets.

Selling merchandise.

On the business side of things, this is one of the best moves Ralph has done in 20 years. On the field, we'll see.

Syderick
07-19-2009, 09:44 AM
He's 36 and could hit the wall at any moment.

The happy talk is nice but lets take it 1 year at a time. I would NEVER give him more than a 1 year deal from here on out. We have Evans, Johnson, Hardy & Reed to fall back on.

Concentrate on actual areas of need to spend the $$

T.O isn't 65, he trains really hard and looks after himself well. Jerry Rice had a long career, he did it by training hard. Many other players have lasted well into there late thirties while still playing at high levels.

jimbohastle51
07-19-2009, 12:24 PM
the bottom line is we are a team that desparately needs to make every bit of revenue available to us and as long as we finish a game better than last year, and T.O. has a normal T.O. year then 1) our owner is not going to buy out jauron when he did improve (weather it be by one game or 5) and is not going to let T.O. (the biggest money maker the bills have had in the past 15 years (especially with the toronto games that we desparately needed star power on our team to sell those tickets) go when they could just franchise him and give him maybe a 2 million raise over what they are already paying him, and reality is even if he has a line like 65 catches 890 yards and 7 TDs, he would still be worth it to us becaues that would probably mean that evans had 80 catches 1400 yards and 10 TDs. no way one of the 2 of them doesnt blow up this year ( ipersonally think they both go over 1000 yards cause its obvious we are going to be a passing team).

Hemlepp53
07-19-2009, 03:02 PM
sounds good to me. We need him for several years to build a core WR team. Think of the ability and endless pit of news coverage he will bring to us. We will be on the Map in the NFL and the Core Media.