PDA

View Full Version : Bills Focus: Steve Johnson pressing for his Chance

Syderick
07-14-2009, 06:08 PM
Chris Brown interview and video of WR Steve Johnson:

http://www.buffalobills.com/media-lounge/videos/bills-focus-pressing-for-his-chance/b730f919-0863-4657-97b0-bffec4ab1751

Hemlepp53
07-14-2009, 06:31 PM
I can't wait to see what the kid brings to the field at WR. One of our more impressive picks as of recent. Heres a question i can't seem to answer myself.... Who's the better true WR Hardy or Johnson???

homeslice5484
07-14-2009, 06:37 PM
How ya gonna stop #13?

BillsWin
07-14-2009, 07:31 PM
Love him. Standup kid. Hardworker. underdog. future star. whats not to love?

homeslice5484
07-14-2009, 08:20 PM
and people laughed when i was excited we drafted him and talked about how good he was and would be :oP

yordad
07-14-2009, 09:11 PM
I can't wait to see what the kid brings to the field at WR. One of our more impressive picks as of recent. Heres a question i can't seem to answer myself.... Who's the better true WR Hardy or Johnson???Well, so far it is Johnson, IMO. But, it is a little early, it can surly still go either way. It would, of course, be nice if they both became awesome.

jamze132
07-14-2009, 11:53 PM
I have high hopes for this guy in the NFL.

Luisito23
07-15-2009, 01:18 AM
He has the size, speed, and heart to make him a future Pro-bowler no doubt.

Night Train
07-15-2009, 04:48 AM
It just goes to show what a total crapshoot the draft is ( Hardy Rd-1,SJ Rd-7 ).

He made some incredible catches in camp last year & I'm hoping he gets on the field more.

Yasgur's Farm
07-15-2009, 05:55 AM
Hardy was round 2... Just to be clear.

Tatonka
07-15-2009, 08:11 AM
guys.. i think it is WAY premature to give up on Hardy.. the guy is coming off an injury and didnt see much playing time last year.. and he was a rookie.. i mean we are talking about johnson (who i am excited about as well) like he has 100 catches.. he had 10.. so lets not go nuts with the "hardy sucks and johnson is unstoppable" stuff just yet.

they both my suck.. one may be better than the other.. and hopefully we luck out and both will be awesome.

Jan Reimers
07-15-2009, 08:39 AM
The thing that surprised me about Hardy was not his poor route running or other unpolished receiving skills. Those are to be expected. What concerned me was his inability to use his size to aggressively fight for balls that he could have won.

I think that his route running and other techniques can be improved with better coaching, but I wonder about his basic toughness and competitiveness.

Jan Reimers
07-15-2009, 08:44 AM
I forgot to add that Johnson seems to have more of that innate toughness and competitiveness than Hardy.

bigbub2352
07-15-2009, 09:20 AM
I said it when we picked him i thought he was the steal of our draft class, i couldnt believe he was still there, i think this is gonna be Josh Reeds replacement next yr

madness
07-15-2009, 09:29 AM
COLLEGE: Became the fourth player in Kentucky history to gain over 1,000 yards receiving in a season…His 13 touchdown catches were one shy of the school season-record… Gained 1,041 yards receiving in 2007… All-SEC first-team selection by the College Football News …Named the team’s Most Improved Offensive Player by the coaching staff … Ranked second in the SEC with an average of 80.8 yards receiving per game …caught two game-winning touchdown passes – a 57-yarder with 28 seconds left vs. Louisville and a seven-yarder in triple OT vs. No. 1 ranked LSU…Sociology major.

I'm still amazed he dropped as far as he did. The guy did it all in college... had the yards, caught TD's including game winners, and the MIOP just goes to show hard this kid works.

I hope nothing but success for this guy.

cocamide
07-15-2009, 10:12 AM
He has a lot of potential and could be a great player. Thus, our coaches won't use him appropriately. Just like it took forever for them to realize that Fred Jackson was a good back. Every Bills fan saw how great he was in preseason two years ago, and it took forever for the coaches to give him a shot, and I think he only got one after an injury to Lynch.

trapezeus
07-15-2009, 12:55 PM
before the 2009 season even starts, that's the team's biggest impediment/hurdle. The coaches.

We've seen them reluctantly stick with guys too long, not let other players who seem to show promise to get in. I mean for god's sake we kept A train as the back up with jackson already there and ready to do his thing.

The front office could mess it up or get it completely right in terms of drafting and getting FA's into the mix, but they just won't be able to overcome the coaches until they get jauron out of here.

jimbohastle51
07-15-2009, 04:20 PM
this kid is the future of the WR for us. and he will be the reason that josh reed isnt retained next season. now T.O. might be retained if he has a normal T.O. year and we improve by a win or 2 but it is pretty clear if they have it there way our top 3 recievers over the next couple seasons will be evans, T.O., johnson, and hardy. with all the talk all offseason its obvious parrish is expendable to the team and reed will not be brought back if johnson steps up this season and especially if T.O. produces. there is no way they give reed 3 million a year when they would have to resign T.O. or give johnson an extension.

homeslice5484
07-15-2009, 05:28 PM
I got his jersey, 2 of them actually since my dad didnt tell me he already ordered me one and I cant return one of them cause they are custom. The one my dad got me looks better anyways cause he got it from the bills for renewing our seasons!

X-Era
07-15-2009, 07:28 PM
It just goes to show what a total crapshoot the draft is ( Hardy Rd-1,SJ Rd-7 ).

He made some incredible catches in camp last year & I'm hoping he gets on the field more.
Hardy was taken in round 2

zone
07-16-2009, 07:51 AM
I got his jersey, 2 of them actually since my dad didnt tell me he already ordered me one and I cant return one of them cause they are custom. The one my dad got me looks better anyways cause he got it from the bills for renewing our seasons!
He got a jersey for his ticket renewal?

homeslice5484
07-16-2009, 10:10 PM
yes, we sit in the jim kelly club, maybe thats why

justasportsfan
07-17-2009, 08:18 AM
The thing that surprised me about Hardy was not his poor route running or other unpolished receiving skills. Those are to be expected. What concerned me was his inability to use his size to aggressively fight for balls that he could have won.

I think that his route running and other techniques can be improved with better coaching, but I wonder about his basic toughness and competitiveness.
was it Hardy or was it coaching? :idunno:

Johnson has the advantage over Hardy because Johnson ran shorter routes which was Trents favored routes.

madness
07-17-2009, 08:24 AM
was it Hardy or was it coaching? :idunno:

Johnson has the advantage over Hardy because Johnson ran shorter routes which was Trents favored routes.

You are supposed to know the playbook whether you're playing in the slot or on the outside. It was Hardy.

justasportsfan
07-17-2009, 08:48 AM
You are supposed to know the playbook whether you're playing in the slot or on the outside. It was Hardy.

It very well could be, but when your qb and your wr are blaming the OC then you have to wonder about coaching as well. HArdy was made to run routes that we deeper than what Steve was made to do and when you get deeper, Trents first target is Lee.

ddaryl
07-17-2009, 01:05 PM
after last season I have a hleuva alot more faith in Stevie J as a WR over Hardy.

I just hope Hardy is working hard and building some strength.. and I really hope the Bills actually coach him and teach him how to use his body

but overall I think Johnson can be an eventual #1 or #2 WR.... and he'll develope faster then Hardy.

X-Era
07-17-2009, 07:37 PM
Anybody else catch this?

"5. Hello Chris,
I have always been interested in what players have made the most drastic body compositional changes. I am an amateur bodybuilder and love you’re previous mentions of how Fred Jackson and others significantly altered their bodies in order to earn more playing time. When a players dedication is rewarded via a contract extension it justifies all the hard work they put in the weight room which most people don’t see. I was just wondering who has impressed you most this off season in terms of improving their frame?
Derek Tangredi
London Ontario Canada
CB: Derek Schouman, Steve Johnson and Reggie Corner are three guys that come to mind right away. That’s not to say that there aren’t a host of other guys that have dramatically improved, but those guys have sculpted themselves. Schouman maybe more than anyone else. His upper body is much broader and thicker and it’s likely due to the fact that he knows he’ll probably be playing more up on the line at TE this year.
Johnson just benefitted from being in an NFL setting this offseason as did Corner. Both have come a long way in improving their overall strength."

This guy is becoming my new favorite sleeper player on this team.