X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Michael82
    • Jul 2002

Brian Gionta says......

I've been chatting with one of my co-workers who is friends with the Gionta family. Actually, one of Brian's cousins used to work in Personnel at the store. He was telling me that the Sabres did call and request a visit with Gionta and said that they were interested, but took their time. Apparently, Gionta was already working on a contract with Montreal and the Sabres didn't try too hard or even get as far as offering a contract. But they did talk to Brian and his agent and let them know of their interested in him.

Anyways...Brian said to my co-worker that the Sabres aren't serious about winning and quite a few others feel that way right now throughout the league. Apparently many of the players in the league feel that the Sabres aren't trying to get better and feel comfortable with what they have, because it's the cheaper and easier way and it's not coming from Darcy. It's coming all the way from the top. It sounds like it's a bunch of Bean counters running the team.

My co-worker and I are both big Sabres fans and pretty depressed with what Gionta was saying and how it's pretty much said throughout the league that the team doesn't care about winning, as long as they keep selling tickets and the fans buy merchandise.
    Last edited by Michael82; 07-15-2009, 10:40 AM.
  • Dude
    that slimey ass of an ***** at the zone
    • Feb 2005

Re: Brian Gionta says......

If this is really true, then it's an insult to the fans who have continued to support the team over the years.

Comment

• THATHURMANATOR
      • Jul 2002

Eh what can you do. It is a game. Don't watch if you don't want to. We all have choices.

Comment

• rbochan
        Zamboni Driver
        • Jun 2008

...Rob

The American Dream isn't an SUV and a house in the suburbs;
        it's Don't Tread On Me.

Comment

• Mr. Pink
          Peterman Sucks!
          • Mar 2006

Does this really surprise you out of the Buffalo sports franchises?

For most of each teams history, they've put substandard products on the field/ice/arena...and people buy up the tickets.

Each team has stumbled into some success along the way but why build or try to achieve that success when the seats get sold regardless?

After all, at the end of the day, sports is business now.

Comment

• Patrick76777
            • Jul 2002

Throwing boatloads of money at FA's hardly ever works.

Plus the Sabres do spend a lot of money, they're just doing it on the wrong guys.
            Resign our own guys!

Comment

• JD
              Sabres Zone
              • Sep 2003

Welp, that just ruined my day.
              “You hold a players only meeting and get each guy to stand up and say what he can bring to the table... and if he doesn't, you punch him in the face.” ~~ Harry Neale, on how to fix the Sabres season.

Comment

• trapezeus
                Legendary Zoner
                • Oct 2004

the reasons the seats keep selling out is because we are kept fed this BS about how the teams have to move to stay profitable if they can't fill the seats. For hockey, i'd love to see the sabres try and move. with no TV contract, and fledging interest in hockey on a large scope, the NHL has a lot to lose with the sabres.

Comment

• Nighthawk
                  Getting old waiting for a championship in Buffalo!
                  • Jul 2002

This is not a shock to me...I've been saying this for years. They're not cheap, they're just stupid.

Comment

• Philagape
                    WIN NOW
                    • Jul 2002

Originally posted by Mikey82
                    they were interested, but took their time.
                    Originally posted by Mikey82
                    the Sabres didn't try too hard
                    Bingo.

This is what falls on Darcy. He is timid and weak. This FO half-asses almost everything. This kind of talk is entirely consistent with their history, and it's led to disastrous consequences that have been discussed here ad nauseum.
                    If they're interested, then they should be serious and aggressive about it. If they're just going to pussyfoot around, then they shouldn't even bother. Sticking their toe in the water and then pulling back does nothing but create the kind of reputation that's reported here. This is why we're always hearing "he didn't want to play here!"
                    If it's their philosophy not to build through FA (although that means you need near-perfect drafting), fine, but don't make the franchise look bad with phony, vapid "interest." It's embarrassing.
                    "It is better to be divided by truth than to be united by error." -- Martin Luther

"Those who appease the crocodile will simply be eaten last." -- Winston Churchill

2003 BZ Pick Em Champion
                    2004 BZ Big Money League Champion

Comment

• bigbub2352
                      • Feb 2005

I believe you Mikey82 all day, this is exactly what any educated fan has been saying for years here, i cant stand golisano or Quinn and pussy Darcy who is probably handcuffed but still sucks we just stay average that is the status quo in the Bills and Sabres nothing ever ever ever changes here
                      this roster is a joke
                      XTRA CRISPY XTRA SAUCEY

Comment

• Michael82
                        • Jul 2002

I actually believed Larry Quinn and Darcy after the season when they said that they were going to make some changes to improve the team and be active in FA. after hearing this and basically seeing what the Sabres are doing...sitting on their hands. I'm depressed!

Comment

• JD
                          Sabres Zone
                          • Sep 2003

Email the thread link to Bucky
                          “You hold a players only meeting and get each guy to stand up and say what he can bring to the table... and if he doesn't, you punch him in the face.” ~~ Harry Neale, on how to fix the Sabres season.

Comment

• Michael82
                            • Jul 2002

Originally posted by JD SabreFan
                            Email the thread link to Bucky
                            Why? I'm betting that he's heard the same thing around the NHL circles....

Comment

• SabreEleven
                              • Aug 2002

You just have to be a casual NHL fan to know this about the Buffalo Sabres really.

Comment

Working...
                              X