PDA

View Full Version : Action Jackson one of the best backups in football

The King
07-17-2009, 12:11 PM
But this guy doesn't think so... I encourage anyone with a bleacher report login, to tell this guy whats up.

One of the hardest things to do in the NFL is predict, before the season, which teams will earn the right to keep playing on through the winter months.
Making the playoffs requires a lot of things of a football team: determination, hard work, skill, management of egos, and luck.

The last one plays a particularly pronounced role in one facet of NFL life: injuries.
They strike early and often (just ask Tom Brady) in the league and, at any moment, a player's career can be dashed in one play. It's the sad truth of the NFL.
But an injury to even the most important player does not necessarily doom a team's season. (again, ask Tom Brady's replacement, Matt Cassel)

Great teams are always preparing for the worst, and while no team, player, or fan should ever wish for an injury, a team must always be prepared by stocking every roster spot with as much talent as possible.
With that, I'd like to point out who, in my opinion, are the most talented players in the league who wait in the wings, ready at a moment's notice to step into the limelight.
The idea of a "backup" in the NFL is never really set, though, especially as "platooning" has taken hold across the league. For instance, some of the most successful backfields in the game today are comprised of not even one or two star backs, but a whole group who share the load.

Many hands make light work, as they say. So I've tried to take that into account as much as possible and go with players who also do their work on special teams, only in specific game situations, or have to make the most of limited touches on the ball.
But that just makes the list more debatable, which is half the fun.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/219179-five-ready-to-shine-the-best-backups-in-the-nfl

ServoBillieves
07-17-2009, 12:19 PM
I actually can't disagree with his list, except for Pierre Thomas. Even then, there are some #4 receivers in the league who are better "backups" than Action. Top 20 easily but for a top 5 I can't really disagree.

ddaryl
07-17-2009, 12:20 PM
that will change somewhere between week #1 and week #2 when Jackson lights up the Patsies on Monday night !!!!!

Typ0
07-17-2009, 12:23 PM
the guy would have to be on a team that threatens to win every week to be on this list.

BuffaloBillsStampede
07-17-2009, 12:23 PM
I made a comment for you.

yordad
07-17-2009, 12:42 PM
Who the heck is "Action" Jackson? :idunno:

yordad
07-17-2009, 12:43 PM
Oh, you must mean Fred "The Gem" Jackson! And I would talk him over Faulk every single Monday, Sunday, Saturday, or Thurday.

Jan Reimers
07-17-2009, 01:11 PM
These lists are all arbitrary and not worth arguing about. But to mention 3 RBs before Jackson seems to be about as arbitrary as you can get.

MassEffect218435
07-18-2009, 08:43 AM
Pretty solid list, hough Sproles would have made a lot of sense. People may also be looking at Jackson as the starter.