PDA

View Full Version : While the Sabres have been busy doing nothing...

Michael82
07-18-2009, 09:48 AM
The Rochester Americans have been busy signing players to make the team better, including fan favorite Chris Taylor. After having 2 horrid seasons in a row, Owner Curt Styres and the Florida Panthers promised to put a competitive product on the ice and put together a team that can win. They started out the off-season by hiring former Sabres coach, Ted Nolan and making him in the Vice President of Hockey Operations on July 2nd. Since then, he's been busy signing 5 veteran players....Centers Chris Taylor, Jeff Taffe and Jamie Johnson, right winger Graham Mink and defenseman Clay Wilson

I know that this isn't Sabres related, due to the partnership being over. But I thought it was interesting that even the Amerks are willing to spend a little cash to make the team better. I guess all those rumors about why the relationship dissolved have more to do with Buffalo being too cheap with their minors and preferring to build the team with all the rookies is more true. I still don't like having Florida be the parent team, but if they are willing to sign veterans and make the team more fun to watch, I guess I'll take it. :up:

The Spaz
07-18-2009, 09:52 AM
I no longer care about the Amerks.

Michael82
07-18-2009, 09:56 AM
I no longer care about the Amerks.
I figured that. But still...I do, because I live in Rochester. Plus this is the only hockey board on here. So I posted about them. Oh and there are a couple Sabres pieces in this thread (Ted Nolan is now running the Amerks hockey operations), Former Amerk/Sabre Chris Taylor is back in Western NY. :up:

rbochan
07-18-2009, 11:47 AM
It's a shame the division changed so they're no longer rivals with The Crunch, They'll still play a bunch of games, but it won't be the same.

Michael82
07-18-2009, 12:04 PM
It's a shame the division changed so they're no longer rivals with The Crunch, They'll still play a bunch of games, but it won't be the same.
Agreed. I'm going to miss that rivalry. Although...they say that the Amerks will most likely join the Crunch in the East next year.

OpIv37
07-18-2009, 03:03 PM
wait.... you mean bringing in players that fans want to see and putting a competitive team on the ice can actually HELP the team attract fans and thus make more money? What a novel concept!

Michael82
07-18-2009, 03:56 PM
wait.... you mean bringing in players that fans want to see and putting a competitive team on the ice can actually HELP the team attract fans and thus make more money? What a novel concept!
I know! I'm more shocked than ever!

:sigh:

JD
07-18-2009, 06:33 PM
Move this to the Spam Zone

Michael82
07-19-2009, 12:44 AM
Move this to the Spam Zone
:rofl:

Ebenezer
07-19-2009, 12:50 AM
how can one be busy when doing nothing?

clumping platelets
07-19-2009, 01:17 AM
I'm busy doing nothing

Ebenezer
07-19-2009, 02:25 AM
I'm busy doing nothing
and this is new how?

clumping platelets
07-19-2009, 02:35 AM
Hater :yucky:

Mr. Pink
07-19-2009, 05:23 AM

Teams here don't need to spend money to bring in fans.

They just leave the possibility of relocating over the fans heads to get them to come out.

Sad but true.

Michael82
07-19-2009, 08:00 AM
Teams here don't need to spend money to bring in fans.

They just leave the possibility of relocating over the fans heads to get them to come out.

Sad but true.
I totally agree and it really is sad. :ill:

THATHURMANATOR
07-19-2009, 09:36 AM
who cares about the Amerks?

BillsSabresB.C.T. Fan
07-19-2009, 12:22 PM
The Sabres have been signing players they just did it early before anyone else.

they just inked DiPenta a defenseman 30 has appeared in 174 NHL games, collecting 23 points (6+17) and 110 penalty minutes with Atlanta and Anaheim. DiPenta was a member of the 2007 Stanley Cup Champion Anaheim Ducks team.

DiPenta has also appeared in 369 games in the American Hockey League with Philadelphia, Chicago and Manitoba picking up 53 points (9+44) and 411 penalty minutes.
http://sabres.nhl.com/team/app?articleid=436846&page=NewsPage&service=page

signed
Brennan 4/18
Persson 6/3/08 - been playing in Swedish Elite League will be with Portland this season
Schiestel 4/18
Generous 4/1
DiPenta 7/13

Portland players that did not recieve Qualifying Offers and that are now UFA's

Darche - MTL
Zagrapan - elected to play in Russia, Sabres qualified him so they still have his rights so if he ever wants to come back to play.
Hunter*
*Funk* - Vancouver
*Card*
*Dennis*
*All suffered some sort of long-term injury last season, that's why the Sabres didn't give them qualifying offers

CuseJetsFan83
07-19-2009, 12:41 PM
Agreed. I'm going to miss that rivalry. Although...they say that the Amerks will most likely join the Crunch in the East next year.

that would have happened this year but the iowa chops had their franchise suspended for the 2009-2010 season.... the east was supposed to have 16 teams with the west having 14 (to help with all the travelling).

oh well.. ill be excited for the season to begin

Michael82
07-19-2009, 01:06 PM
that would have happened this year but the iowa chops had their franchise suspended for the 2009-2010 season.... the east was supposed to have 16 teams with the west having 14 (to help with all the travelling).

oh well.. ill be excited for the season to begin
I thought it was supposed to happen this year and was surprised it didn't. Now it make sense. Thanks for the info. :up:

CuseJetsFan83
07-19-2009, 01:20 PM
I thought it was supposed to happen this year and was surprised it didn't. Now it make sense. Thanks for the info. :up:

well the iowa chops ownership got in hot water for breaking ahl rules, specificially using the team as collateral for a new arena, which breaks bylaws.....

anywho, now anaheim is lacking an affiliate and considering their distance..... all other teams would be a hard fit... i'd think they might take the florida route and stock their ECHL affiliate as well.

i really wish that the minors could follow the NHL and do total conference for the playoffs rather than where you lay in the division

chernobylwraiths
07-19-2009, 01:26 PM
Portland did pretty good this year and the Sabres paid for it all as far as I know.

CuseJetsFan83
07-20-2009, 01:06 AM
Portland did pretty good this year and the Sabres paid for it all as far as I know.

well not quite all, but those players that the sabres had under contract (total limit for echl, ahl, and nhl contracts is 50)

the problem is alot of teams spend their cap in the NHL, leaving them looking for scraps for the minors, hence why teams call up the rookies for those meager salaries