PDA

View Full Version : It's Time For Turk Schonert's Offense In Buffalo

madness
07-20-2009, 09:22 AM
It's Time For Turk Schonert's Offense In Buffalo (http://bleacherreport.com/articles/220448-its-time-for-turk-schonerts-offense-in-buffalo)
Shortly after the Bills’ 2008 season came to an end, owner Ralph Wilson met with head coach Dick Jauron.The two discussed many different topics, most of them directly associated with the immediate future of the Bills’ organization. Wilson, not happy with the performance of the offense under first-year coordinator Turk Schonert, requested that Jauron fire Schonert, but the head coach refused.
http://www.billszone.com/mt/images/newsicons/bills.gif bleacherreport.com/Thomas Casale | Posted at 10:00 AM

madness
07-20-2009, 09:38 AM
Justa, does this change your opinion of Turk a little? Are we ready to let this guy prove himself this year?

yordad
07-20-2009, 09:45 AM
Interesting. For a moment I thought that was written by a Bills fan. Strange how that writer "knows" what happened between owner and coach behind closed doors though.

Justa, does this change your opinion of Turk a little? Are we ready to let this guy prove himself this year?It would change my mind.... if I knew that writer's source.

Typ0
07-20-2009, 09:46 AM
I see stuff like this and it reminds me of why I believe DJ is a good coach and leader. He didn't have the talent on O last year and was trying to help the young QB develop so he stepped up and put the brakes on Shonerts designed offense. I'm really looking forward to seeing the offense start to click and hope TE stays healthy.

DMBcrew36
07-20-2009, 09:47 AM
I enjoyed reading that because it is very optimistic - which I currently struggle to be. The article is basically best-case-scenario. It all relies on a bunch of 'ifs.' Like, if Jauron lets Schonert hang it all out, or if our offensive-line is decent enough, or if Edwards can handle going no-huddle.

One item I noticed while reading is how the offensive line was always being jumbled and rotated. The article implied or insinuated that it should be better this year. But to me, the offensive line and defensive line are the big question. I think the offensive line being jumbled and rotated could be how it is this year, too. So who knows.

justasportsfan
07-20-2009, 10:01 AM
Justa, does this change your opinion of Turk a little? Are we ready to let this guy prove himself this year?

My opinions on Turk were based on results. It was fine and dandy early on and fundamentally sound at the begining. Our team was playing basic football very well .

Unfortunately, fundamentally sound isn't enough when other coaches design ways to beat basic football. AS the season went on, you have things like the players pointing fingers at the OC and players saying "we weren't prepared for that. We didn't practice for that". Thats all on the coaches especially the OC, not Dick.

Copying plays form other teams as the season went on was another thing.

Sure, give him another chance. We don't have a choice.Cassel outperforming Trent by way of well designed plays to help a very inexperienced qb who barely even played in college made me wonder what the hell is going on with this team offensively.

I can almost guarantee that Trent would've been a better qb under the same coaching mind that the Pats had with the same players we had last year.

This team NOW has more weapons since the Kelly era. This offense better be better than any O since the Kelly era. It should be better than when Bledsoe was here.

justasportsfan
07-20-2009, 10:05 AM
I see stuff like this and it reminds me of why I believe DJ is a good coach and leader. That remains to be seen. Results hasn't shown he's great at anything other than he's a great motivator who gets his players to rally behind him.

madness
07-20-2009, 10:20 AM
That remains to be seen. Results hasn't shown he's great at anything other than he's a great motivator who gets his players to rally behind him.

This team NOW has more weapons since the Kelly era. This offense better be better than any O since the Kelly era. It should be better than when Bledsoe was here.

I also think this is the most talent Jauron ever had the opportunity to coach. If he can't win this year (he has no reason not to) it could very well be the final nail in his coaching career.

justasportsfan
07-20-2009, 10:29 AM
I also think this is the most talent Jauron ever had the opportunity to coach. If he can't win this year (he has no reason not to) it could very well be the final nail in his coaching career.

some people would argue that other coaches could've done better with less.

The big question is, does he have the brains to come up with a perfect gameplan all week and make the proper adjustments on gameday especially vs. the teams in our division? He didn't do very well with that last year .

ddaryl
07-20-2009, 10:31 AM
There is no reason for Jauron to resort back to conservative ways this season. There are a lot of teams that would love to have the Bills’ depth at receiver, so Jauron needs to just sit back and let Schonert play with all of his toys.

I sure hope we see some toy playing this year. If your playing with your toys your having fun, if your having fun, well then their is a damn good chance your winning...

that article was a good precamp read... gets ya all wet and excited for some exciting football this year.

justasportsfan
07-20-2009, 10:36 AM
I sure hope we see some toy playing this year. If your playing with your toys your having fun, if your having fun, well then their is a damn good chance your winning...

that article was a good precamp read... gets ya all wet and excited for some exciting football this year.

Dick needs to be ruthless and step on peoples throats. You can't play nice in the AFCE and expect to be successful. BB doesn't care if he's up 20 pts. while Dick like to keep games close and hopefully win it in the 4th qtr.

ddaryl
07-20-2009, 10:37 AM
Dick needs to be ruthless and step on peoples throats. You can't play nice in the AFCE and expect to be successful. BB doesn't care if he's up 20 pts. while Dick like to keep games close and hopefully win it in the 4th qtr.

I agree.. Someone needs to teach Dick on how to be a *****

Typ0
07-20-2009, 10:38 AM

yeah, that's why it was a bad call in the JETS game when JP fumbled the game away too! It was later in the season and his confidence was gaining too. He tried to put the game away and the QB put the ball on the ground...and DJ is a crappy coach for that too!

Jan Reimers
07-20-2009, 10:49 AM
Talent makes most coaches successful. As justa says, Turk will have more offensive weapons this year, as well as a more mature Edwards. We should have more success this season, IF the O-Line comes together.

justasportsfan
07-20-2009, 11:01 AM
yeah, that's why it was a bad call in the JETS game when JP fumbled the game away too! It was later in the season and his confidence was gaining too. He tried to put the game away and the QB put the ball on the ground...and DJ is a crappy coach for that too!

I'm arguing whether he's a great coach or not. So Dicks greatness depended on one crappy qb play?

Even if JP didn't fumble that ball and we won the game THAT STILL DOESN"T PROVE HE"S A GREAT COACH AND LEADER.

He sure had a great gameplan vs. the crappy D of the browns. Or was that Jp's fault too.

0-6 in the division. 3 7-9 consecutive seasons. You can argue with facts all you want.

Typ0
07-20-2009, 11:40 AM
I am not saying he's a great coach but I'm not saying he's as bad as he gets trashed here all the time either. He's been working to build up the talent on this team. It's been happening. Just casting him aside for the next mediocre coach does us no good. This is the first year that any unit other than ST has enough talent to actually win against a good team.

justasportsfan
07-20-2009, 12:04 PM
I am not saying he's a great coach .

okay you didn't say great. My bad. results still hasn't shown he's good enough to creat good results on the field. Dicks neither here nor there. MY opinion remains, he's nothing but a great motivator.

I believe DJ is a good coach and leader. .

but I'm not saying he's as bad as he gets trashed here all the time either. He's been working to build up the talent on this team. It's been happening. Just casting him aside for the next mediocre coach does us no good. This is the first year that any unit other than ST has enough talent to actually win against a good team. We wanted Wade gone inspite on not having a losing season. Dick deserves every bit of criticism he's getting . Using lack of talent is an excuse epsecially when you see the fins make playoffs in thei rebuilding year.