PDA

View Full Version : Maybin at LB has legs

X-Era
07-20-2009, 06:01 PM
I think we will see quickly if his lack of size prevents him from being the DE type that he seems to be drafted for.

But it seems, the back up plan would be for him to play at LB.

http://www.buffalonews.com/452/story/738494.html

I think his speed is good enough, hes green as the hills at LB, but hes probably an upgrade to Ellison even early there.

I like that we have a need for him at either spot and that helps us best utilize him. If he shows he can get enough push, I think he stays at DE or maybe rotates into LB at rushing downs. If not, I think they switch him.

Nighthawk
07-20-2009, 06:22 PM
He won't "play" LB...he'll be a rush LB...big difference. This is a good way to get him on the field and use his quickness.

X-Era
07-20-2009, 06:24 PM
He won't "play" LB...he'll be a rush LB...big difference. This is a good way to get him on the field and use his quickness.

I dont think it matters what exact position he plays, just as long as we utilize him. And if he offsets Ellison, Im happy.

ServoBillieves
07-20-2009, 07:08 PM
Having Kelsay line up on the far outside and Stroud right on the RG, if Maybin is thrown in as a LB that could cause some serious matchup problems.

Ickybaluky
07-20-2009, 07:17 PM
Dick Jauron has said the Bills will mix in some 3-4 looks this year, and I imagine Maybin will play some OLB in those sets.

Hemlepp53
07-20-2009, 07:38 PM
If he plays LB this year it will for sure be in a situational or experimental move. I think Maybin will really work out for us at DE. I'd love to see him jump in at LB when the game calls for it but i think he will be our DE of the future. Lets define TYPICAL... typ·i·cal: adj - Exhibiting the qualities, traits, or characteristics that identify a kind, class, group, or category. This team, Us fans do not need TYPICAL.. Typical does not equal ... PLAYMAKER... GAME CHANGER... COMPLETE MONSTER... We need non- typical players like Jack Youngblood, Santana Dotson, Simeon Rice, Dwight Freeney, Aaron Kampman, Leonard Little... no need to go on. Typical players dont make plays.. they fill a void until they lose the spot to the non-typical players..

OpIv37
07-20-2009, 08:32 PM

Also a good way to broadcast to our opponents exactly what we're doing. And a good way to ensure that at least two of the three "high motor" morons are still on the field in crucial situations.

If they wanted a LB, they should have just drafted a ****ing LB.

This team is so ****ing dumb sometimes. Well, most of the time.

Ingtar33
07-20-2009, 08:45 PM
well maybin certainly could play OLB in a 3-4.... he probably could play standing up as a "semi" LB in a nickle as well, maybe in a 3-3 front.

The Jokeman
07-20-2009, 08:57 PM
I'll be willing to eat crow but stated this and still feel this way from a post dated 3/27/09 (http://www.billszone.com/fanzone/showthread.php?t=170609&highlight=Maybin)

As the draft gets closer and closer I'm hesitant on Browne being available but much rather take him then Maybin who to me is a major gamble. Though not really sold on either one. Yet one guy that might be there that at least makes some sense is Michael Oher as read some reports questioning if he really has what it takes to be a LT perhaps we can pull a Ruben Brown and shift him to LG. Although in a perfect world would much rather trade down and being to grab a guy like Peria Jerry who thinks gives us the pass rushing everyone agrees we need but comes from a position of weakness. As I like the idea of a starting D-line of Schobel, Stroud, Jerry and Kelsay vs taking a guy like Maybin who probably wouldn't even start for us unless plan to shift him to OLB which could be a big time mistake.

or if go even further back 2/25/09 (http://www.billszone.com/fanzone/showthread.php?t=170609&highlight=Maybin)

If we don't get Pettigrew I have a worse feeling that we might end up with Maybin as a replacement for Crowell.

ServoBillieves
07-20-2009, 10:03 PM
I understand the edge pass rush needs help, but do we really need help in the middle? Stroud is Stroud, no need to further push that, but what is honestly wrong with Kyle Williams and Spencer Johnson? Williams is incredibly underrated. Is he elite? No, but he's damn good from what I've seen. Also, Johnson can find gaps pretty well. Maybin may not have been the right pick, but he gives us something that if he can reproduce what he did in college, it's something we haven't had in a while.

yordad
07-20-2009, 10:32 PM
My feelings are if he is one of the 7 best front seven defenders, you got to find a way to get him on the field however you can.

THATHURMANATOR
07-20-2009, 10:50 PM
Think Joey Porter.

THATHURMANATOR
07-20-2009, 10:51 PM
well maybin certainly could play OLB in a 3-4.... he probably could play standing up as a "semi" LB in a nickle as well, maybe in a 3-3 front.
Boom there you go. I love it.

THATHURMANATOR
07-20-2009, 10:52 PM
Also a good way to broadcast to our opponents exactly what we're doing. And a good way to ensure that at least two of the three "high motor" morons are still on the field in crucial situations.

If they wanted a LB, they should have just drafted a ****ing LB.

This team is so ****ing dumb sometimes. Well, most of the time.
WAAAAAAAH Who should we have taken instead?

THATHURMANATOR
07-20-2009, 10:53 PM
You guys are funny. You would say the team is dumb for putting Maybin in a position to fail. When there is word they have decided to put him in a position to best utilize his talents they are also dumb.... :ill:

Philagape
07-20-2009, 11:21 PM
You guys are funny. You would say the team is dumb for putting Maybin in a position to fail. When there is word they have decided to put him in a position to best utilize his talents they are also dumb.... :ill:

I assume the second dumb is because this is necessary in the first place. So it's a different angle on the first dumb.

And if Maybin is moved to LB, who are the ends in a three-man line? Schobel and Kelsay??? :ill:

THATHURMANATOR
07-20-2009, 11:26 PM
I assume the second dumb is because this is necessary in the first place. So it's a different angle on the first dumb.

And if Maybin is moved to LB, who are the ends in a three-man line? Schobel and Kelsay??? :ill:
I think it was obvious that Replacing Ellison was the biggest need, followed by need for pass rush. This would kill two birds with one stone.

I do hear you on Kelsey still being the Starting end though.... Wish Ellis would step up.

Philagape
07-20-2009, 11:32 PM
I think it was obvious that Replacing Ellison was the biggest need, followed by need for pass rush. This would kill two birds with one stone.

I do hear you on Kelsey still being the Starting end though.... Wish Ellis would step up.

But on a three-man line, you need bigger linemen. Unless it's a line of all DTs with Schobel and Maybin as the rushing OLBs, what's the point of a 3-4?

yordad
07-20-2009, 11:33 PM
But on a three-man line, you need bigger linemen. Unless it's a line of all DTs with Schobel and Maybin as the rushing OLBs, what's the point of a 3-4?Ah... just run a 5-2.

THATHURMANATOR
07-21-2009, 12:00 AM
But on a three-man line, you need bigger linemen. Unless it's a line of all DTs with Schobel and Maybin as the rushing OLBs, what's the point of a 3-4?
Thing is I don't tihnk it will be 3-4 all the time though but it will be utilized.

jamze132
07-21-2009, 01:18 AM
The team is dumb because Thurm likes them. :cheers:

Mahdi
07-21-2009, 07:08 AM
Dick Jauron has said the Bills will mix in some 3-4 looks this year, and I imagine Maybin will play some OLB in those sets.
Exactly... They are not going to use Maybin as a SLB. They are going to use him like DeMarcus Ware or Merriman. Just stand him up on the edge on 3rd down and let him attack.

The most they would do is let him fake a rush and drop off into zone coverage. You wont see Maybin line up over the TE and cover him man to man like a traditional cover 2 LB in a base set.

ddaryl
07-21-2009, 07:34 AM
I don't care where Maybin plays as long as he is having an impact

Jan Reimers
07-21-2009, 07:45 AM
I hope he's one of those 'tweeners like Terrell Suggs.