PDA

View Full Version : South Florida likely for '07 Super Bowl

PA Season Ticket Holder
05-21-2003, 01:05 AM
PHILADELPHIA (May 20, 2003) -- The NFL appears to have settled on South Florida as the site for the 2007 Super Bowl.

Other Super Bowl locations are under consideration, as are two potential stadium proposals in the Los Angeles area, as league owners addressed a variety of issues during meetings here.

Commissioner Paul Tagliabue said owners are close to agreeing that the Super Bowl scheduled for February 2007 be held in Pro Player Stadium. He said they likely would likely give final approval during a special meeting Sept. 17.

New Orleans also had been considered for the 2007 game, but with the 2006 Super Bowl scheduled for Detroit's Ford Field, owners were reluctant to have back-to-back domed venues. Instead, they preferred an open-air stadium in a warm climate.

Meanwhile, a pair of northern sites -- New York/New Jersey and Washington, D.C. -- are among four candidates that have emerged to play host to the 2008 Super Bowl. Arizona and Tampa are also being considered.

Tagliabue said that game probably would be awarded in late October. In the unlikely event South Florida is not picked to host the 2007 Super Bowl, Tampa would be the leading choice as a replacement, according to the commissioner.

"I think there is pretty strong sentiment among the ownership that New York is unique for entertainment and Washington is unique as the center of politics," Tagliabue said of the '08 decision. "I have no personal preference. I think these give us four areas which could be excellent for a Super Bowl, provided the stadium is right."

http://nfl.com/news/story/6382257