PDA

View Full Version : Lee Evans...Best Wideout in Bills history?

kelly2reed4six
07-20-2009, 09:03 PM
Just curious to see who thinks Evans is or will end up being the best receiver in buffalo bills history (based on stats thus far).....I would have to say we'll see after this year.....the guy could absolutely destroy the nfl this year IF this offense ends up panning out like it should!

"CAREER: Voted as a captain in each of his last three seasons...One of the most durable wide receivers in the NFL, has started 42 consecutive games, the second longest among NFL receivers...His streak of 80 consecutive games played is the fourth longest among active NFL receivers...Evans had more receiving yards (4,744) and is tied for the most receiving TDs (32) [Bob Chandler] and second-most receptions (296) [Andre Reed, 317] than any receiver in team history after five seasons...Has six 70-plus yard touchdown receptions – the most in the NFL since 2000 and also a team-record...Ranks fifth in team history with 13, 100-yard receiving games...32 TD receptions are fifth in team history...4,744 receiving yards rank fourth in team history...296 receptions are tied for 5th in team history...Established the team’s single-game receiving record with 265 yards @ Houston on 11/19/06...265-yard performance was the best in the NFL in 2006, highest in league since Terrell Owens’ 283 vs. Chicago 12/17/00 and 11th best in NFL history"

kelly2reed4six
07-20-2009, 09:04 PM
sorry....i probably should have just posted this in "the juices" thread....my bad.

OpIv37
07-20-2009, 09:29 PM
did Mitchell55 get another new username?

Right now he's no better than 4th- Reed (Andre, not Josh), Lofton, Moulds. And he's getting shafted worse than Moulds did in terms of having either no QB to get him the ball and/or no OL to protect the QB. I'll be surprised if he ever jumps ahead of any of those 3.

LtFinFan66
07-20-2009, 09:33 PM
uhhh....NO

realdealryan
07-20-2009, 10:02 PM
The best wideout in Bills history 2006-2008 and possibly further into the future.

ServoBillieves
07-20-2009, 10:07 PM
Reed > Moulds > Dubenion > Evans.

Lofton was a great receiver, but I remember him more as a Pack-man. For a pretty much pure Bills receiver that's what I look at... If T.O. can pull the double coverage off of Evans and Stevie/James can turn in to a threat, then I can see Evans moving up to possibly second.

yordad
07-20-2009, 10:28 PM
I honestly think Moulds was the most talented.

DrGraves
07-20-2009, 10:48 PM
Eric Moulds should be on the Bills wall of fame.... sure he played for some ****ty teams... but he was awesome. one of my favorite bills ever.

kelly2reed4six
07-20-2009, 11:18 PM
"(based on stats thus far)".....what i meant is parallel other bills wide outs stats and the teams they played on to evans for their first 5 seasons....don't compare them beyond that point!

yordad
07-20-2009, 11:25 PM
"(based on stats thus far)".....what i meant is parallel other bills wide outs stats and the teams they played on to evans for their first 5 seasons....don't compare them beyond that point!Well, clearly in stats he should be mentioned. But, I think he is third in ability. Moulds-Reed-Evans.

If all things were equal, I think Moulds would have been one of the top WRs in league history.

mybills
07-21-2009, 08:06 AM
Just curious to see who thinks Evans is or will end up being the best receiver in buffalo bills history (based on stats thus far).....I would have to say we'll see after this year.....the guy could absolutely destroy the nfl this year IF this offense ends up panning out like it should!
Did you forget that we signed T.O.?

justasportsfan
07-21-2009, 08:08 AM
I can only hope that Trent turns out to be the next Kelly so that Lee's talents are maximized and not wasted like Moulds' carreer was.

Kelly to Evans :drool:

Dr. Lecter
07-21-2009, 08:23 AM
Jerry Butler is ahead of Evans too. Maybe Bobby Chandler as well.

Dr. Lecter
07-21-2009, 08:24 AM
I honestly think Moulds was the most talented.

I dunno. He was faster than Reed, but did not have Reeds strength, toughness or RAC ability. Talented no doubt, but maybe not more than Reed.

justasportsfan
07-21-2009, 08:47 AM
I dunno. He was faster than Reed, but did not have Reeds strength, toughness or RAC ability. Talented no doubt, but maybe not more than Reed.
We don't know that. Moulds never had a Kelly throwing to him. Erics best season was better than Reeds and with a midget throwing to him who scrambled a lot. Not to mention weaker supporting cast and system.

Jan Reimers
07-21-2009, 09:00 AM
I like Lee a lot, but Elbert Dubenion, Andre Reed, James Lofton, Eric Moulds and TO (if we want to count him before he's ever played a game for us) would rank ahead of him right now, and as Doc says, Jerry Butler and Bobby Chandler would be close. In time, Lee might move up the ladder.

Andre Reed, in my mind, was the best ever.

THATHURMANATOR
07-21-2009, 09:14 AM

Right now he's no better than 4th- Reed (Andre, not Josh), Lofton, Moulds. And he's getting shafted worse than Moulds did in terms of having either no QB to get him the ball and/or no OL to protect the QB. I'll be surprised if he ever jumps ahead of any of those 3.
I agree with Reed and Moulds. Lofton was only only on the Bills for a couple years, and only had 1 barely 1000 yard year.

ddaryl
07-21-2009, 09:28 AM
Evans can light it up this year... He hasn't had a another WR that could take pressure off of him since Moulds left, and Evans was real young at that time.

It's kind of unfair to compare Reed and Lofton to Evans because Reed had Lofton and Lofton had Reed. Both had Jim Kelly

With the Evans and TO tandem we might get a taste of the old days, and then we will actually have something to debate about.

thunderofhooves
07-21-2009, 11:21 AM
Andre Reed for me. Not to say that Evans could become the greatest. Would help if he played on a winning team and saw the playoffs once in awhile.

Joe Fo Sho
07-21-2009, 11:34 AM

How do you figure Lofton ahead of Evans? Lofton played with the Bills for 4 years, Evans prolly has better stats than him already and Lofton played with Kelly...

Historian
07-21-2009, 11:45 AM
Jerry Butler is ahead of Evans too. Maybe Bobby Chandler as well.

At this point, so is Haven Moses, Frank Lewis and Marlin Briscoe.

The Juice Is Loose
07-21-2009, 11:56 AM
I used to love Moulds as well, but whining your way out of town and throwing your QB (I hate Losman and always have but it still ain't right to do to a guy. a teammate!) under the bus...IDK he hurt his legacy for me. Evans, could/should have a monster year this year, from there, if TO hits the road I think S Johnson is a serious possibility as an awesome #2 (Our TJ Housh), and that should help Evans even more.

Through most of his career he's had Bledsoe, Losman, Holcomb and Edwards. He didn't get Drew his best year here either. As far as guys around him, he had Moulds for I believe 3 years and then Peerless (way too late) and last year nobody to take any coverage away. Not even a TE.

Its gotta be frustrating to be a WR or RB. I bet there are 100's to 1000's of skill players that are better than the guys that get all the hype, they just have been in failing systems. Rarely is a player bigger than the system and if you coaching/quarterbacking sucks, you could be Jerry Rice's boss and nobody would know it.

justasportsfan
07-21-2009, 12:08 PM
I used to love Moulds as well, but whining your way out of town and throwing your QB (I hate Losman and always have but it still ain't right to do to a guy. a teammate!) under the bus...IDK he hurt his legacy for me. Evans, could/should have a monster year this year, from there, if TO hits the road I think S Johnson is a serious possibility as an awesome #2 (Our TJ Housh), and that should help Evans even more.

Through most of his career he's had Bledsoe, Losman, Holcomb and Edwards. He didn't get Drew his best year here either. As far as guys around him, he had Moulds for I believe 3 years and then Peerless (way too late) and last year nobody to take any coverage away. Not even a TE.

Its gotta be frustrating to be a WR or RB. I bet there are 100's to 1000's of skill players that are better than the guys that get all the hype, they just have been in failing systems. Rarely is a player bigger than the system and if you coaching/quarterbacking sucks, you could be Jerry Rice's boss and nobody would know it.Evans is a victim of a qb carousel just like his mentor Moulds. Hopefully Trent is it.

Moulds' attitude toawards the end could be parlty blamed on management and coaching. They couldn't settle the qb situation and switching from one system to another. Marvin Harrison was lucky he had Peyton most of his carreer.

mybills
07-21-2009, 12:48 PM
Moulds & Price were an awesome combo, but T.O. & Evans should be awesomer.

HHURRICANE
07-21-2009, 01:09 PM
[QUOTE=jae1986]Just curious to see who thinks Evans is or will end up being the best receiver in buffalo bills history (based on stats thus far).....I would have to say we'll see after this year.....the guy could absolutely destroy the nfl this year IF this offense ends up panning out like it should![QUOTE]

Uhhh, I'm not sure he's earned a spot in the top 5.

Ebenezer
07-21-2009, 01:15 PM
1. Reed is currently the standard - he also did so much away from the ball.

2. Dubenion played at a time where QBs completed maybe 50% of their passes, didn't throw as many passes and WRs had to block.

3. Moulds didn't have the teams around him that Reed had.

4. Chandler was an incredible possession receiver who was also called on to block.

5. Evans has great talent and has numbers benefiting from an era where your QB can stink and you still can have a 1000 yard season.

The Juice Is Loose
07-21-2009, 01:40 PM
Marvin Harrison up to this point has had Peyton his ENTIRE career.

I think Lee blocks. I've seen it. He may not be extremely physical but as I said in my other thread, I don't see him avoiding anything the team would ask him to do.

He'd lay it all on the line. He's made some excellent catches and has always done good things off the field both in the press and just being a good guy.

He's never been injurred and is still pretty young. Randy Moss had his best season at 30+ and Lee could as well. I feel his best is yet to come and I think/hope Trent can be the type of guy to lock the job down for a while.

Captain gameboy
07-21-2009, 04:44 PM
Lofton is not in this conversation.

He was here to add speed and take pressure off of Reed.

yordad
07-21-2009, 09:09 PM
If Moulds had Payton Manning his entire career (and they were together in Buffalo), or Kelly for that matter, I don't think this conversation would be taken place at all.

Ingtar33
07-22-2009, 03:05 AM
Moulds was very good, but he also sucked over the middle. I think some people are forgetting how poor he was over the middle and how often he dropped the ball when he heard the footsteps.

For one year (it was 98 or 99... i don't remember), Moulds was the best WR the buffalo bills ever fielded... the rest of his career was very good, but not great.

Mr. Pink
07-22-2009, 10:57 AM
I don't even think Lee is the best WR on the team today, let alone ever.

And Ing nailed it, Moulds was either afraid to go over the middle or just basically refused to and dropped a lot of easy passes because he "heard footsteps"