• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • sauce
    • Dec 2008

Bills to use some 3-4 this season....

http://www.nfl.com/news/story?id=090...s&confirm=true

6. Jacksonville's Jack Del Rio and Buffalo's Dick Jauron sat down to talk about their respective teams, and both coaches said they worked on a 3-4 defense as a variation of their 4-3 schemes. Each believes it will come in handy this coming season, especially in passing situations.

This should suit Maybin on passing downs allowing him to attack
  • justasportsfan
    • Jul 2002

Re: Bills to use some 3-4 this season....

this is what pisses me off about Dick and his coaches. They are behind compared to other teams.
    sacrifice1
    https://theinterviewwithgod.com/video/

Comment

• Mahdi
      • Mar 2004

Originally posted by justasportsfan
      this is what pisses me off about Dick and his coaches. They are behind compared to other teams.
      Isn't the point of this tidbit that Jauron is diversifying his defense in effect making him more advanced than other teams rather than behind other teams?

Comment

• justasportsfan
        • Jul 2002

Originally posted by Mahdi
        Isn't the point of this tidbit that Jauron is diversifying his defense in effect making him more advanced than other teams rather than behind other teams?

diversifying sounds to me like he screwed up picking the wrong system and is slowly imlementing the 3-4 because the successful teams in the league use it and Dick and his coaches couldn't beat it.

Sounds like Dick is saying ... If you can't beat em' join em.

He picked Fewell becuase of his cover 2 knowledge. I wonder if he knows how to run a 3-4.
        Last edited by justasportsfan; 07-21-2009, 08:57 AM.
        sacrifice1

Comment

• Mahdi
          • Mar 2004

diversifying sounds to me like he screwed up picking the wrong system and is slowly imlementing the 3-4 because the successful teams in the league use it and Dick and his coaches couldn't beat it.

Sounds like Dick is saying ... If you can't beat em' join em.

He picked Fewell becuase of his cover 2 knowledge. I wonder if he knows how to run a 3-4.
          K its not like we are going to use the 3-4 50% of the time. I would be surprised if I saw it more than 2ice in an entire game.

I think Jauron just figures since he has a player like Maybin, maybe the easiest way to get him to succeeded is to stand him up and let him run a couple times a game. That's not screwing up that's a little innovation and using yer tools.

I can tell you this, if we didn't have Maybin, Jauron wouldn't be trying this. Kelsay or Schobel coming off the edge in a 3-4 set isn't exactly frightening.

Comment

• Mahdi
            • Mar 2004

A little side note:

If Jauron fails this year and is fired, I wouldn't be surprised to see the next coach implement the 3-4 especially since it wouldn't be a tough transition.

We already have Maybin, Ellis, and Schobel (Maybe) as potential rushers, Mitchell and Poz as ILBs, Stroud and Johnson as 5 Technique DEs, McCargo might be able to put on weight and anchor as a NT but either way the draft would include 1 or 2 monster NTs in the neighborhood of 340 pounds and another 5 technique DE.

So basically 1 draft could cover the remaining needs. Mount Cody could be an option in round 1.

Comment

• justasportsfan
              • Jul 2002

I think Jauron just figures since he has a player like Maybin, maybe the easiest way to get him to succeeded is to stand him up and let him run a couple times a game. That's not screwing up that's a little innovation and using yer tools.

I can tell you this, if we didn't have Maybin, Jauron wouldn't be trying this. Kelsay or Schobel coming off the edge in a 3-4 set isn't exactly frightening.
              My porblem with Dick is that he's a step or behind other teams.

It's like when he thought a light DL is whats works best. Then he changes his mind and then brings in heavy players like Stroud who isn't idealy a cover 2 player .

This is his 4th year. He had 3 years to make the tampa 2 work and now he's thinking of adding more stuff to something that he hasn't even perfected yet?

He needs to stop experimenting but instead start producing.
              Last edited by justasportsfan; 07-21-2009, 09:25 AM.
              sacrifice1

Comment

• Mahdi
                • Mar 2004

My porblem with Dick is that he's a step or behind other teams.

It's like when he thought a light DL is whats works best. Then he changes his mind and then brings in heavy players like Stroud who isn't idealy a cover 2 player .

This is his 4th year. He had 3 years to make the tampa 2 work and now he's thinking of adding more stuff to something that he hasn't even perfected yet?

He needs to stop experimenting but instead start producing.
                Jauron has not gone away from what he initially started doing with the DL at all. Stroud is not a heavy DT. He is at max weight 310. That is still cover 2 weight. He just gives the added benefit of being a powerful guy.

We still have no one over 310 pounds. Even McCargo trimmed down to give himself a better shot of getting quality playing time.

Comment

• justasportsfan
                  • Jul 2002

Jauron has not gone away from what he initially started doing with the DL at all. Stroud is not a heavy DT. He is at max weight 310. That is still cover 2 weight. He just gives the added benefit of being a powerful guy.

We still have no one over 310 pounds. Even McCargo trimmed down to give himself a better shot of getting quality playing time.
                  Really? Fewell said after his couple of yeare he wanted more beef up the middle.
                  Last edited by justasportsfan; 07-21-2009, 09:35 AM.
                  sacrifice1

Comment

• Mr. Pink
                    Peterman Sucks!
                    • Mar 2006

How is this team gonna run the 3-4?

We don't have the personnel.

If I were an opposing coach or QB and saw the Bills line up in the 3-4 I'd audible to a run. Easy 7-10 yard pick up every time.

There's no beef among our d-line, outside of Stroud.

Comment

• Mahdi
                      • Mar 2004

Really? Fewell said after his couple of yeare he wanted more beef up the middle.
                      Yeah he wanted a stronger player. Not necessarily heavier. Stroud was targeted as much for his penetration abilities as he was for his strength.

Stroud was simply a great fit because he brings some power but also has traits required for a cover 2 scheme.

Comment

• justasportsfan
                        • Jul 2002

They drafted McCargo and brought in Tripplett and then got rid of Tripplet and tried to get rid of Mcargo. Both light players up the middle.

They wanted fast players up the middle. Not players who could collapse a pocket. That didn't work so they brought in Stroud can collapse the pocket.

That means they screwed up. They tried to bring in players who they thought FIT A SYSTEM. They were inlove with asystem that didn't work so now they are trying to add some 3-4 now?
                        Last edited by justasportsfan; 07-21-2009, 09:39 AM.
                        sacrifice1

Comment

• Mahdi
                          • Mar 2004

They drafted McCargo and brought in Tripplett and then got rid of Tripplet and tried to get rid of Mcargo. Both light players up the middle.

They wanted fast players up the middle. Not players who could collapse a pocket. That didn't work so they brought in Stroud can collapse the pocket.

That means they screwed up. They tried to bring in players who they thought FIT A SYSTEM. They were inlove with asystem that didn't work so now they are trying to add some 3-4 now?
                          They got rid of Triplett because he was not a good player, not because he was too light. McCargo was traded because at the time the Bills were set at DT and he was not happy working with the last DL coach.

If you are still unconvinced look that the undrafted DTs the Bills signed. They are all fast, penetrating DTs under 310 pounds. That right there tells the whole story.

The Bills still are very much a cover 2 defense and their DL operates with a cover 2 mentality of speed and penetration.

Stroud is simply a better player than the other DTs, has nothing to do with collapsing versus penetrators.
                          Last edited by Mahdi; 07-21-2009, 09:57 AM.

Comment

• jamze132
                            • Jun 2003

Dick will invent the newest fad in defenses. They will call it the "I'm ****ing ******ed."

Comment

• psubills62
                              Legendary Zoner
                              • Sep 2008

Originally posted by FunTimesYaY!
                              How is this team gonna run the 3-4?

We don't have the personnel.

If I were an opposing coach or QB and saw the Bills line up in the 3-4 I'd audible to a run. Easy 7-10 yard pick up every time.

There's no beef among our d-line, outside of Stroud.
                              It's not like it would be a hugely effective 3-4, but a lot of other base 3-4 teams won't have much beef up front in passing situations either. Robert Ayers (275 pounds) in Denver is expected to be a DE in passing situations.

It's possible to put Stroud at NT. He wouldn't be effective there over a whole game, but he should be sufficient for a few plays. Spencer Johnson and Kyle Williams could be the DE's, with Maybin/Schobel as the OLB's and Poz/Mitchell as the ILB's.

Like I said, it wouldn't make for the best base defense, but it could be effective when used properly.
                              "Misguided political correctness tethers our intellects."
                              - Nicholas Cummings

Comment

Working...
                              X