PDA

View Full Version : JP Losman is Tops

The King
07-21-2009, 10:46 AM
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/219769-the-top-ten-most-well-known-players-to-be-in-the-ufl/page/2#page/11

Losman is considered the most recognizable name in the UFL...

Good for him, I think he made the best possible choice, being so young he can still compete and will probably succeed.

TacklingDummy
07-21-2009, 10:56 AM
I thought for sure some NFL team would want him as a back-up. I was wrong. FYT was right.

justasportsfan
07-21-2009, 11:09 AM
I thought for sure some NFL team would want him as a back-up. I was wrong. FYT was right.
who knows if there were inquiries and that they opted to go somewhere else?

Besides it might do him good just like it did for Flutie.

Hemlepp53
07-21-2009, 11:18 AM
there looks to be a few Ex-Bills on that list. He might grow in that leauge and return to the NFL as a back up or filler for a team in the future.

Mr. Pink
07-21-2009, 11:20 AM

I'm always right.

and Justa owes me 5K in ZBs.

:rofl:

yordad
07-21-2009, 11:35 AM
I'm always right.

:rofl:Never say never. His physical skills have not diminished. Look for him to lite that league up.

hydro
07-21-2009, 11:37 AM
Never say never. His physical skills have not diminished. Look for him to lite that league up.

I bet Joey Harrington, Rex Grossman and Kyle Boller could too...

justasportsfan
07-21-2009, 11:38 AM
I'm always right.

:rofl:
find me the bet thats says it was for this year and not last year and I'll pay you.

Historian
07-21-2009, 11:43 AM
Never say never. His physical skills have not diminished. Look for him to lite that league up.

Oye vey....

ServoBillieves
07-21-2009, 11:50 AM
Looking at the names in this league, I'm intrigued to see what happens and happy that these guys can land on their feet and do what they love for a living still.

Never thought I'd say this, but good luck JP, bring Vegas a championship.

mybills
07-21-2009, 12:09 PM
Go J.P. :bf1:

yordad
07-21-2009, 12:17 PM
I bet Joey Harrington, Rex Grossman and Kyle Boller could too...okay....

yordad
07-21-2009, 12:21 PM
Archuleta has also played for the Redskins, Bears, and most recently was on the practice squad for the Oakland Raiders.How did this guy have such a long career, and still be elidgible for the Raiders PS?

Typ0
07-21-2009, 12:24 PM
It will be the same thing for him in this league probably. Tons of physical ability and no brain to help him put those physical tools to work.

ServoBillieves
07-21-2009, 12:24 PM
How did this guy have such a long career, and still be elidgible for the Raiders PS?

My exact thoughts, that might be a mistake, maybe he was on their squad in camp and got cut, I dunno I'll check...

trapezeus
07-21-2009, 01:16 PM
Prediction: Losman's team won't play in the championship game.

Ebenezer
07-21-2009, 01:19 PM
Looking at the names in this league, I'm intrigued to see what happens and happy that these guys can land on their feet and do what they love for a living still.

Never thought I'd say this, but good luck JP, bring Vegas a championship.
I never hold it against a guy where he was drafted. JP didn't choose to have the Bills move up to grab him...it wasn't his fault the team ditched Bledsoe to thrust him into the starting role...I hope he succeeds.

madness
07-21-2009, 02:21 PM

Are you not allowed to rush the QB into making decisions in the UFL?

mush69
07-21-2009, 02:48 PM

Maybe they have to count to 3 mississippi, before they can rush?

:beers:

jamesiscool
07-21-2009, 02:51 PM
It will be the same thing for him in this league probably. Tons of physical ability and no brain to help him put those physical tools to work.

This will be the best head coach he has ever had to work with, playing around inferior competitors he should be able to hone his skills and better him self as a QB. This could be a career changer and possibly make his entire career as a pro athlete not a wash. Best of luck JP.

But I'm still hapoy he's not in a Bills uni.

mybills
07-21-2009, 02:52 PM
I'll bet they have better coaches than the last 3 stooges we had.

trapezeus
07-21-2009, 02:58 PM
I don't get why playing with competiton below him is going to make NFL scouts willing to jump back on the JP train. He already played well by just running around however he pleased at Tulane, it didn't translate into much at the NFL.

Whether he does well or not, i really can't see an NFL team giving him a shot to back up their team. we've seen him back up an NFL team and he lost every game.

Good luck to JP, but like someone else said, i'm happy he isn't a bill.

Philagape
07-21-2009, 03:11 PM

Intentional grounding is allowed ... aka The JP Rule.

Philagape
07-21-2009, 03:12 PM
I bet Joey Harrington, Rex Grossman and Kyle Boller could too...

Drew Willy should go there

LtFinFan66
07-21-2009, 03:23 PM
I thought for sure some NFL team would want him as a back-up. I was wrong. FYT was right.I thought the same thing that you did

LtFinFan66
07-21-2009, 03:25 PM
Prediction: Losman's team won't play in the championship game.if they don't, it won't be because of JP

The King
07-21-2009, 03:34 PM
Prediction: Losman's team won't play in the championship game.Can you have a championship with only 4 teams?

Philagape
07-21-2009, 03:57 PM
Can you have a championship with only 4 teams?

I bet he'll make it to the semifinals!

ServoBillieves
07-21-2009, 04:43 PM
I bet he'll make it to the semifinals!

He may have something here...

trapezeus
07-21-2009, 04:58 PM
are we all going to join the vegas message board as counselors to their fans who wonder why he can't make the 5 yard throw and loses games that they should have won?

Mike13
07-21-2009, 08:15 PM
I hope the UFL suceeds, the NFL needs a D-League

yordad
07-21-2009, 09:26 PM
I don't get why playing with competiton below him is going to make NFL scouts willing to jump back on the JP train. He already played well by just running around however he pleased at Tulane, it didn't translate into much at the NFL.

Whether he does well or not, i really can't see an NFL team giving him a shot to back up their team. we've seen him back up an NFL team and he lost every game.

Good luck to JP, but like someone else said, i'm happy he isn't a bill.Well, you've been wrong before.

TacklingDummy
07-21-2009, 10:55 PM
Sounds like Losman did a UCLA to Tulane move. He knew he couldn't hack it with the big boys so he took his ball and went elsewhere.

LOS ANGELES -- Forced to choose between being an NFL backup or a starter in a fledgling league, J.P. Losman has taken playing time.

How do you "choose" when no one wanted you in the NFL?

jamze132
07-22-2009, 12:05 AM
Sounds like Losman did a UCLA to Tulane move. He knew he couldn't hack it with the big boys so he took his ball and went elsewhere.

LOS ANGELES -- Forced to choose between being an NFL backup or a starter in a fledgling league, J.P. Losman has taken playing time.

ESPNs headline says that JP choses UFL over NFL. I almost fell out of my chair laughing.

djjimkelly
07-22-2009, 12:45 AM
best possible career move for JP. all the best to him i blame a horrific organization and coaching for his lack luster bills career hopefully he turns it around.

djjimkelly
07-22-2009, 12:48 AM
ESPNs headline says that JP choses UFL over NFL. I almost fell out of my chair laughing.

so your saying ud take same money to be a 2nd or a 3rd to be an nfler for 2009 instead of taking a real chance to showcase yourself and be reborn for 2010

sounds like you choose the easy route in life everytime.

this is the smartest thing he could do for his career.

snow1989
07-22-2009, 04:18 AM
so your saying ud take same money to be a 2nd or a 3rd to be an nfler for 2009 instead of taking a real chance to showcase yourself and be reborn for 2010

It is only a smart thing to do IF he is successful......it could also be the end of the line if he doesn't "light it up" and the talent is considered inferior to the NFL. If that happens very few would bother with him after the UFL stint.....

I don't care either way....but a different league could be interesting to watch

Typ0
07-22-2009, 06:18 AM
if they don't, it won't be because of JP

not sure what excuse to use yet are you?

jamze132
07-22-2009, 06:19 AM

Relax sparkles, you're taking what I said the wrong way. JP didn't "chose" the UFL over the NFL. The NFL made it abundantly clear that he wasn't going to start for any of the 32 teams. He is doing the right thing by trying to revitalize his career and I applaud him for that. I just think the title was a little misleading. They made it sound like he had the choice to start in the NFL.

And by the way, I don't take shortcuts through life.

TacklingDummy
07-22-2009, 07:11 AM
JP has a 1 and 4 chance of winning the championship. That's pretty good odds.

Will they have a All-Star game?

ChristopherWalken
07-22-2009, 07:15 AM
I wish the best for Losman. He was dealt a ****ty hand with the Mularkey, Donahoe nonsense and I believe that he could have excelled had the right personel been there to get thim the right support.

He has a tremendous amount of atheletic ability and has one of the strongest arms I have ever seen. His downfield accuracy is quite amazing.

This new league should slow things down for him on the field allowing him time to make better decisions. It might be just what he needs to get back into the game.

Despite all that he has been through with the fans and the FO, he's never said one sour thing about the city of Buffalo or the franchise.

Good luck Losman! I'll be rooting for you!

Jan Reimers
07-22-2009, 07:19 AM
Yeah, some choice. UFL or. . ."fries with that?"

THATHURMANATOR
07-22-2009, 07:55 AM
I personally wish him the best. While he did not work out as our QB at all he seemed like a decent guy and was always good to the City.

Jan Reimers
07-22-2009, 08:03 AM
I wish the best for Losman. He was dealt a ****ty hand with the Mularkey, Donahoe nonsense and I believe that he could have excelled had the right personel been there to get thim the right support.

He has a tremendous amount of atheletic ability and has one of the strongest arms I have ever seen. His downfield accuracy is quite amazing.

This new league should slow things down for him on the field allowing him time to make better decisions. It might be just what he needs to get back into the game.

Despite all that he has been through with the fans and the FO, he's never said one sour thing about the city of Buffalo or the franchise.

Good luck Losman! I'll be rooting for you!
While JP has his shortcomings with pocket presence, making quick reads, etc., I agree with you. I'm surprised there wasn't more NFL interest in making him a reclamation project. He has really good athleticism and a cannon arm.

Must be the thinking is that he'll never get the mental part right.

Ebenezer
07-22-2009, 08:11 AM
I hope the UFL suceeds, the NFL needs a D-League
that is exactly what this is going to be...I think it is a good idea. The NFL doesn't have a minor league system. IF this works it could clean up college football.

Ebenezer
07-22-2009, 08:12 AM
While JP has his shortcomings with pocket presence, making quick reads, etc., I agree with you. I'm surprised there wasn't more NFL interest in making him a reclamation project. He has really good athleticism and a cannon arm.

Must be the thinking is that he'll never get the mental part right.
why be a backup or a third stringer and not play when you can take a year and learn under Fassl and improve?

Jan Reimers
07-22-2009, 09:24 AM
why be a backup or a third stringer and not play when you can take a year and learn under Fassl and improve?
My point was that JP apparently was not offered even a reserve role in the NFL, possibly because teams felt he would never master the mental aspects of the QB position. He waited a long, long time to sign with Las Vegas, so I imagine his agent was trying to get him an NFL gig, with no luck.

Thus I don't believe he had the choice that your post implies.

trapezeus
07-22-2009, 11:15 AM
that's when i lost faith in the coaching staff of the bills. when they tried to sell us the belief that JP was the best backup option we had last year. i am not alone when i say, i would have rather had gibran hamdad back there for the games he lost.

Despite my lack of football respect to JP, he seems like a good guy. I would hope the UFL works to either provide competition to the NFL, give buffalo a chance to get a team in the event the NFL abandon's us, and/or gives me more football to watch during the fall.

The King
07-22-2009, 11:17 AM
ITS OFFICIAL!

http://www.ufl-football.com/press/2009/07/22/losman_signs_with_las_vegas_of_ufl

slakjaw157
07-22-2009, 11:43 AM
Maybe they have to count to 3 mississippi, before they can rush?

:beers:

Don't forget to yell "BLITZ"

The King
07-22-2009, 12:05 PM
Losman is probably the UFL's marquee player. That may sound sort of like being named the coolest guy camping out in line for Star Wars tickets, but everybody's got to find a home somewhere. At the end of the day, J.P. Losman is still getting paid to play professional football, and that's still pretty sweet.

jamze132
07-22-2009, 01:10 PM
Maybe "He Hate Me" can be the RB for JP.

The King
07-22-2009, 01:27 PM
wasnt he a corner?

yordad
07-22-2009, 01:27 PM
Intentional grounding is allowed ... aka The JP Rule.That doesn't make sense. JP wasn't exactly one for grounding.

justasportsfan
07-22-2009, 01:50 PM

How ironic ,the move is exactly what your boy Flutie did . Couldn't hack it in the NFl in his early years so he went to Canada.

NC-BILLS44
07-22-2009, 01:51 PM
Good luck JP. Nice guy, but not a solution at QB.

Philagape
07-22-2009, 02:30 PM
That doesn't make sense. JP wasn't exactly one for grounding.

No QB is. Because it's illegal.

But not in the UFL. Now he doesn't have to panic in the pocket anymore. He can just put it in the dirt anywhere.

(Intentionally.)

TacklingDummy
07-22-2009, 02:56 PM
How ironic ,the move is exactly what your boy Flutie did . Couldn't hack it in the NFl in his early years so he went to Canada.

Canada >>>>>>>UFL

trapezeus
07-22-2009, 03:01 PM
That doesn't make sense. JP wasn't exactly one for grounding.

right,....because most qb's throw it into the ground when hurried to avoid a sack.

JP threw it into the ground because he can't throw anything under 20 yards with any sort of accuracy. it's either way too high or a grounder.

i believe that's what phil was joking about.

Philagape
07-22-2009, 03:03 PM
There's enough humor here for several angles.

The Natrix
07-22-2009, 04:17 PM
It's a good move for JP, although it is potentially high risk/reward. The fact is, no one knows how much success or lack of he will have in the UFL.

Being a 6 game season, there won't be any time for growing pains. And with so few teams, if year one doesn't work out for a starting QB, I doubt another team will want them.

I wish luck to JP. Hopefully they will utilize him well. Let him be JP Losman.

trapezeus
07-22-2009, 04:51 PM
in a cruel world, Michael Vick will get picked up by the vikings and thwart Brett Favre's desire to remain in the news. Depressed, Favre will call las vegas and ask if he can play. Vegas will agree and ask JP to ride the bench while his idol pushes him out of the way. Favre will get hurt and JP will come into the game.

A strong run game will all but guarantee the vegas team a win and fassell will call a play action roll out with 2 minutes to play. JP will throw an interception that gets returned for a TD.

Two unnamed posters on the Vegas fanboard will claim, he needs more time. Another two (ironically named Justagambler and Yormom) will tell us that fassell ruined him, and one particularly enterprising Mcdonalds manager will ask for losman's resume to see if he is willing to work the drive thru window at the vegas mcdonalds. Losman Wins and DJJimkelly will fall to the ground screaming "STELLA" at the unfortunate circumstance that made JP a never has and a never was.

I am now covering my crystal ball. donations accepted.

yordad
07-22-2009, 05:26 PM
No QB is. Because it's illegal.

But not in the UFL. Now he doesn't have to panic in the pocket anymore. He can just put it in the dirt anywhere.

(Intentionally.)Oh... that still doesn't make sense. The same exact thing could be said for every single QB. You just can't get him out of your mind.
There's enough humor here for several angles.Humor? Calling those replies humorous was way funnier then the replies themselves and even still not all too funny.

Philagape
07-22-2009, 05:34 PM
The same exact thing could be said for every single QB.

But not with this level of appropriateness. That's what gives it rich irony. Which, of course, wouldn't be grasped by a JP fan who sees nothing wrong with having the pocket prowess of Charlie Brown.

The Jokeman
07-22-2009, 06:26 PM
wasnt he a corner?
No Rod "He Hate Me" Smith was a RB. Ironically enough he played most of his NFL career with the Carolina Panthers who were also in the running to sign JP. Though if you read the articles about JP signing it sounds like to me JP is hoping he can dominate the UFL and use it to springboard him to a big pay day or starting gig in the NFL. Perhaps be another Tommy Maddox as it were.

yordad
07-22-2009, 08:20 PM
But not with this level of appropriateness. That's what gives it rich irony. Which, of course, wouldn't be grasped by a JP fan who sees nothing wrong with having the pocket prowess of Charlie Brown.OK, so let me summarize for you.... You feel that because JP looks alittle jittery in the pocket, kind of like Payton Manning, they should call their rule for allowing grounding the JP rule? Call me logical, but I don't see the correlation, and I think its "level of appropriateness" is on par with farting at the dinner table.

:console:

The Natrix
07-22-2009, 09:39 PM
No Rod "He Hate Me" Smith was a RB. Ironically enough he played most of his NFL career with the Carolina Panthers who were also in the running to sign JP. Though if you read the articles about JP signing it sounds like to me JP is hoping he can dominate the UFL and use it to springboard him to a big pay day or starting gig in the NFL. Perhaps be another Tommy Maddox as it were.

You're both wrong. He is RB Rod Smart.

Philagape
07-22-2009, 09:58 PM
looks a little jittery in the pocket

Well, if you leave out the sacks and fumbles and failure to read defenses and bad decisions and bad passes ... then yeah.
That's how we know the problem is more than what he "looks" like.

The UFL correlation is that instead of panicking under pressure, which leads to all of the above -- a bit more often than for Peyton Manning and most other QBs -- he can just ground it.
It's a rule so convenient that while I wouldn't put money on it, it's not outside the realm of imagination to think it was made for him.

Mr. Pink
07-22-2009, 10:21 PM
One thing to say about the league itself...

It's in A LOT of trouble if it's hanging its head on JP as the poster child.

yordad
07-23-2009, 07:01 AM
Well, if you leave out the sacks and fumbles and failure to read defenses and bad decisions and bad passes ... then yeah.
That's how we know the problem is more than what he "looks" like.

The UFL correlation is that instead of panicking under pressure, which leads to all of the above -- a bit more often than for Peyton Manning and most other QBs -- he can just ground it.
It's a rule so convenient that while I wouldn't put money on it, it's not outside the realm of imagination to think it was made for him.Oh gez, please. It was made to entice top named QBs into the league. Maybe those a little past their primes. I mean, JP has been named the most recognizable face, but I think they were after bigger fish, and it had nothing at all to do with how jittery a particular QB looks in the pocket.

I am glad I could clear that up for you. Anything else?

Philagape
07-23-2009, 08:01 AM
"top named" ??

To the UFL??

The UFL??

The Popcorn
07-23-2009, 08:26 AM
How does somebody "demand" being a starter at UCLA and then serve as a backup for two years at Tulane? I find the family and friends distraction funny as well.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/J._P._Losman

Bert102176
07-24-2009, 12:50 PM
good luck JP I'm one that believed in ya, and will follow how he does in Vegas

SABURZFAN
07-25-2009, 05:54 PM
it appears that the Bills had no takers for trading him last year. 31 other teams could have had him this year and nobody wants him.

hold the applause.... :bravo:

Night Train
07-25-2009, 07:50 PM
Million dollar arm with a 10 cent brain.

No NFL coach was willing to put up with his high number of negative plays.

SABURZFAN
07-26-2009, 11:05 AM
no CFL coach was willing to take a chance either.

once again, hold the applause. :bravo: