• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • madness
    • Apr 2003

The Ten: Safety edition

The Ten: Safety edition
    The ball-hawkers and the heavy hitters. These guys might not receive the same attention as the linebackers in front of them or the same money (on average) as the corners to their left and right, but the ones who get the freedom to do their thing have a shot at some serious glory—picks, devastating blows, even touchdowns.
    theScore.com/Brad Gagnon | Posted at 11:21 AM
  • ServoBillieves
    The Voice of Reason
    • Jul 2007

Re: The Ten: Safety edition

RUN!!!!! EVERYBODY RUN!!!!!
    Bye Bye Brady...

Comment

• The King
      Without me it's just Awe so
      • Jun 2004

I would take Oj Atogwe over any of the players on that list.
      I remember that one fateful day when Coach took me aside. I knew what was coming. "You don't have to tell me," I said. "I'm off the team, aren't I?"
      "Well," said Coach, "you never were really ON the team. You made that uniform you're wearing out of rags and towels, and your helmet is a toy space helmet.
      You show up at practice and then either steal the ball and make us chase you to get it back, or you try to tackle people at inappropriate times."
      It was all
      true what he was saying. And yet, I thought something is brewing inside the head of this Coach.
      He sees something in me, some kind of raw talent that he can
      mold. But that's when I felt the handcuffs go on.

Comment

• billsfanone
        Majored in Home Economics
        • Sep 2008

Sounds right. 9 is average. Figure there are a few really top safeties, a lot of average safeties, and a few really bad ones. Who the hell can really judge among the average ones?

Comment

• Mr. Pink
          Peterman Sucks!
          • Mar 2006

Whitner doesn't belong on that list.

Comment

• ServoBillieves
            The Voice of Reason
            • Jul 2007

We've heard from FTY so far in this thread, where's Op when you need him...
            Bye Bye Brady...

Comment

• more cowbell
              • Apr 2006

lol whitner is a joke
              The last time the Bills made the playoffs was 1999.

Comment

• Jaybird
                • Dec 2005

Originally posted by MBBedard
                I would take Oj Atogwe over any of the players on that list.
                That would be a huge mistake!!

Comment

• Jan Reimers
                  Thank You, Terry and Kim, for Saving the Bills. Now, Work on the Sabres.
                  • May 2003

I think it's human nature to expect more from our Bills' players, and to think that other teams' players are always better. It's the "Grass is always greener" syndrome.

Whitner almost always makes the top ten on these lists, so he may not be as bad as many think.
                  Should have known, way back in 1960 when we drafted Richie Lucas Number 1, that this would be a long, hard ride. But who could have known it would be THIS bad?

Comment

• madness
                    • Apr 2003

Originally posted by Jan Reimers
                    I think it's human nature to expect more from our Bills' players, and to think that other teams' players are always better. It's the "Grass is always greener" syndrome.

Whitner almost always makes the top ten on these lists, so he may not be as bad as many think.
                    Whitner makes a top 10 safety list

By Chris Brown - Posted July 21st, 2009
                    Donte Whitner claims he loves the haters as much as those fans that support him. Both parties may want to take a closer look at one of the latest rankings of the top safeties in the game.
                    TheScore.com did a top 10 safety list and Whitner made the cut. The Bills safety checked in at number 9 right behind Green Bay’s Nick Collins and Jermaine Phillips of Tampa Bay.
                    I don’t know if Bills fans fully recognize the sacrifices Whitner has made for the overall good of the defense switching roles on the fly week to week and season to season. If he had manned one position his entire career his big play numbers undoubtedly would be better.

Comment

• BillsHound
                      • May 2009

Originally posted by madness
                      Whitner makes a top 10 safety list

By Chris Brown - Posted July 21st, 2009
                      Donte Whitner claims he loves the haters as much as those fans that support him. Both parties may want to take a closer look at one of the latest rankings of the top safeties in the game.
                      TheScore.com did a top 10 safety list and Whitner made the cut. The Bills safety checked in at number 9 right behind Green Bay’s Nick Collins and Jermaine Phillips of Tampa Bay.
                      I don’t know if Bills fans fully recognize the sacrifices Whitner has made for the overall good of the defense switching roles on the fly week to week and season to season. If he had manned one position his entire career his big play numbers undoubtedly would be better.
                      Brown should just become Whitner's agent. All he does is apologize for his average play every week. This last comment has no credence to it at all. Players make plays when the ball is in the air. It's called reaction. It's called having a feel for the game. You are telling me because Whitner lines up five yards away one week from the next that he can't make any big plays? That he can't grab an interception? That he can't cause a fumble? That's crap. We are just making excuses for a guy the Bills drafted in the Top 10 who is nothing more than an average football player. If Whitner was on the Patriots we would all be laughing at what an awful pick he was instead of making excuses for why he has failed to live up to his high draft status. End of story.

Comment

• evol4276
                        • Oct 2005

i love how nothing about whitner was explained in that

Comment

• OpIv37
                          Acid Douching Asswipe
                          • Sep 2002

Originally posted by Jan Reimers

I think it's the opposite.

Half these people writing these articles barely even watch the Bills. If they did, and they paid more attention to Whitner, they'd stop overrating him. He lives off his college reputation and the fact that he keeps getting his name in the paper.

And btw, when we're 7-9 for 3 consecutive years and out of the playoffs for pretty much an entire decade, it's really not a stretch to think players on other teams are better than the players on our team. And it's really not unreasonable to expect a lot out of a player drafted #8 overall.
                          MiKiDo Facebook
                          MiKiDo Website

Comment

Working...
                          X