• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • PA Season Ticket Holder
    You mess up my night, and I'll mess up your day
    • Jul 2002

No need for playoff expansion

PHILADELPHIA (May 20, 2003) -- The NFL playoffs offer plenty of excitement and entertainment in their current form.

Members of the league's Competition Committee came to that realization during a conference call a couple weeks ago. Their 8-0 vote against a proposal to add playoff teams for the 2003 season looks as if it will be enough to convince owners that they don't even have to take a vote of their own on the subject before adjourning their meetings here on May 21.

And that can only be a good thing.

I concede that one can make a legitimate argument that adding an extra playoff team in each conference, thus creating two more playoff games, is a sound business idea. Two more filled stadiums and two more games on television translate into more revenue. Why would any NFL owner oppose that?

Simple. By looking into the not-too-distant future, one can make an equally legitimate argument that the short-term pursuit of more money could have negative long-term repercussions.

The official source for NFL news, video highlights, fantasy football, game-day coverage, schedules, stats, scores and more.

BUFFALO BILLS AND MLB POOLS

http://www.billszone.com/YourSite/global/nfl/pool.php?action=home
Working...
X