PDA

View Full Version : 2: Can Edwards handle added responsibility?

madness
07-23-2009, 08:37 AM
2: Can Edwards handle added responsibility? (http://www.buffalobills.com/news/article-3/2-can-edwards-handle-added-responsibility/7464f1f0-3e09-4ee9-b3ab-c16f5d7c8fed)
For some it’s the biggest question on any list concerning the Bills and their fortunes in 2009. In a quarterback driven league it’s no surprise that most feel the play of Trent Edwards will largely determine just how successful Buffalo can be this season. Now entering year three, Edwards is expected to be more consistent, more effective and ultimately more productive when it comes to scoring.
http://www.billszone.com/mt/images/newsicons/bills.gif buffalobills.com/Chris Brown | Posted at 09:24 AM

The Popcorn
07-23-2009, 09:01 AM
Having Terrell Owens to throw to should make his life easy and his stats look good. That's if he can stay healthy.

Jan Reimers
07-23-2009, 09:02 AM
While we still have holes, we have filled enough of them that discussion of our QB situation has become relevant again.

I think we have given Trent enough weapons that he finally has a chance to succeed. IF our O-Line comes together.

The Popcorn
07-23-2009, 09:08 AM
I think we have given Trent enough weapons that he finally has a chance to succeed. IF our O-Line comes together.

The coaching staff will have to resort to the shotgun and/or a 3 step drop and release playcalling to help the offensive line keep Trent Edwards protected.

psubills62
07-23-2009, 09:26 AM
While we still have holes, we have filled enough of them that discussion of our QB situation has become relevant again.

This is the problem. While I understand that there will always be some sort of question mark...I'd really prefer to just solidify one side of the ball for a year. The only way we'll be able to tell if Edwards is the real thing without any excuses is if we've got solidified starters on the OL (a la NY Giants) AND legitimate receivers. Obviously it's hard to come by both of those things at once, but it will really be the only true way to tell in one year if Edwards is the real deal.

Hopefully the OL can perform well enough that Edwards gets the scrutiny. And hopefully he comes through cleanly.

Philagape
07-23-2009, 09:51 AM
This is the problem. While I understand that there will always be some sort of question mark...I'd really prefer to just solidify one side of the ball for a year. The only way we'll be able to tell if Edwards is the real thing without any excuses is if we've got solidified starters on the OL (a la NY Giants) AND legitimate receivers. Obviously it's hard to come by both of those things at once, but it will really be the only true way to tell in one year if Edwards is the real deal.

Hopefully the OL can perform well enough that Edwards gets the scrutiny. And hopefully he comes through cleanly.

One might say that the best way to tell if a QB is the real deal is how he performs under adversity, when he has to make plays on his own skills. That's when you can truly judge him.
Any competent QB should do well when everything else is solid (see Matt Cassel).

psubills62
07-23-2009, 09:55 AM
One might say that the best way to tell if a QB is the real deal is how he performs under adversity, when he has to make plays on his own skills. That's when you can truly judge him.
Any competent QB should do well when everything else is solid (see Matt Cassel).

Very true. I guess it depends on what model you want to follow to win the SB...the model of the Ravens, where you've got a great overall team (defense, running game) and an OK QB, or if you want to follow the Colts and Patriots, where you've got a QB that can carry the team despite weaknesses elsewhere.

Philagape
07-23-2009, 09:57 AM
Very true. I guess it depends on what model you want to follow to win the SB...the model of the Ravens, where you've got a great overall team (defense, running game) and an OK QB, or if you want to follow the Colts and Patriots, where you've got a QB that can carry the team despite weaknesses elsewhere.

I think we have no choice but with weaknesses elsewhere :ill:

madness
07-23-2009, 10:11 AM
We should be happy just that we are running the same exact offense for two seasons in a row!

Well... sort of.

yordad
07-23-2009, 10:25 AM
I guess the o-line is the #1 question. :idunno:

jamze132
07-23-2009, 11:29 AM
I guess the o-line is the #1 question. :idunno:
It should be.

yordad
07-23-2009, 12:59 PM
It should be.I thought #3 should be #1, making this #2 a #3.