PDA

View Full Version : Bills' No. 1 pick Maybin a likely holdout

madness
07-23-2009, 10:38 AM
Bills' No. 1 pick Maybin a likely holdout (http://www.buffalonews.com/sports/story/741095.html)
Buffalo Bills No. 1 draft choice Aaron Maybin is expected to be a contractual holdout when the team opens training camp Saturday.
http://www.billszone.com/mt/images/newsicons/bills.gif buffalonews.com/Mark Gaughan | Posted at 11:35 AM

madness
07-23-2009, 10:41 AM
The reason is the Bills open camp a week early this year, and that is making it harder for the team's top draft picks to negotiate deals in time for the first practices.
The Bills will be the first team in the NFL to open training camp to both rookies and veterans this summer. The Bills get to open early because they are one of two teams in the league that will play an extra preseason game. The Bills meet the Tennessee Titans in the Pro Football Hall of Fame game in Canton, Ohio, on Aug. 8. The Bills camp starts four days sooner than every other team and a week sooner than some clubs.

So is the extra preseason game worth the risk of our rookies losing time or would we have been better off without the HOF game?

psubills62
07-23-2009, 10:50 AM
This article doesn't make sense to me. It's as if Gaughan is assuming that OBD doesn't know that TC starts a week earlier. It's as if he expects Overdorf to wake up today and found out about TC starting from Gaughan's article. Does he really think they're not going to push to get Maybin's contract done until a week after TC starts?

If there's something you do every year, but this year it starts a week earlier...then start doing it a week earlier! I could be wrong, but I thought that last year we started signing our draft picks a couple days before camp too.

Granted, it's true that the Bills don't usually set the market for draftee contracts, but I don't see that being as much of a priority (waiting for the market to be set) as getting them into TC is.

What am I missing here that Gaughan is seeing?

psubills62
07-23-2009, 11:02 AM
As someone mentioned on bb.com, the Bills are actually opening TC on essentially the same date as last year, not a week early. McKelvin signed on July 26th last year, and camp officially started on the 25th. Not sure where Gaughan got that they were starting a week early.

Hemlepp53
07-23-2009, 11:16 AM
There is always some dispute between what the team feels a non proven player with potential should be paid, what the player who should feel like he awoke in a dream should feel he is worth and What that players AGENT FEELS HE PERSONALLY DESERVES... Keep in mind the agents fight this and drag it out for two reasons... they get a cut and they get to go to potential clinets and say look what i got Maybin...

Just get it done when it needs to be done. we dont need the guys missing time on the field but we also do not want to be one of the teams that bend when resistance is on the board.... We handled Peters great in this sense i think...

ServoBillieves
07-23-2009, 11:19 AM
Not shocked, at all. Always seems to happen.

don137
07-23-2009, 11:19 AM
Rookie contracts in the NFL are out of control IMO. Unproven players get millions of dollars while some veterans that end up playing better than them make far less. Look at Mike Williams. Did play at the level he earned?

jamze132
07-23-2009, 11:21 AM
I really don't think it's imperative that Maybin is on board when the team breaks camp. If he wants to hold out, let him. I think he's going to turn out like Whitner on the field anyways.

Jan Reimers
07-23-2009, 01:03 PM
We are counting on several rookies to make contributions this year, so any missed time at training camp hurts. Maybin is young and raw, with only one productive college season behind him. Wood, Levitre and Byrd are most probably changing positions, and Byrd missed the OTAs because of his school's exam schedule. Nelson is very raw, too.

The sky isn't falling, but this is not the best year for any prolonged holdouts.

yordad
07-23-2009, 01:30 PM
I really don't think it's imperative that Maybin is on board when the team breaks camp. If he wants to hold out, let him. I think he's going to turn out like Whitner on the field anyways.You think Maybin will be widely accepted as a top 10 plater at his position? Sweet!

DMBcrew36
07-23-2009, 02:10 PM
He can hold-out, only to finally show and eventually become a bust. Glorious.

BertSquirtgum
07-23-2009, 02:12 PM
what an @sshole

EricStratton
07-23-2009, 02:32 PM
The issue with the early camp start is so few picks have signed there is no price slot yet set for him.

Without that is is nearly impossible from either side to work out a deal.

yordad
07-23-2009, 04:17 PM
The issue with the early camp start is so few picks have signed there is no price slot yet set for him.

Without that is is nearly impossible from either side to work out a deal.Someone has to be the first to jump in the pool at any party.

realdealryan
07-23-2009, 05:07 PM
Someone has to be the first to jump in the pool at any party.

The unimpressive draft pick in a small market won't be....

HotRod
07-23-2009, 05:44 PM
Rookie contracts in the NFL are out of control IMO. Unproven players get millions of dollars while some veterans that end up playing better than them make far less. Look at Mike Williams. Did play at the level he earned?

I completely agree.

TigerJ
07-24-2009, 05:42 PM
This article doesn't make sense to me. It's as if Gaughan is assuming that OBD doesn't know that TC starts a week earlier. It's as if he expects Overdorf to wake up today and found out about TC starting from Gaughan's article. Does he really think they're not going to push to get Maybin's contract done until a week after TC starts?

If there's something you do every year, but this year it starts a week earlier...then start doing it a week earlier! I could be wrong, but I thought that last year we started signing our draft picks a couple days before camp too.

Granted, it's true that the Bills don't usually set the market for draftee contracts, but I don't see that being as much of a priority (waiting for the market to be set) as getting them into TC is.

I don't know whether it was here or on another board, but I had said I saw a potential problem with the Bills' early camp start. That problem being that generally the Bills have been followers when it comes to rookie contract negotiations. They wait for other teams to set the framework for salaries, particularly for their higher picks. With later camp starts, other teams aren't feeling the pinch like the Bills are. A lot of first thru third round picks aren't going to get signed until next week. If the Bills wait for that in order to inform them how much they should offer Maybin, Wood, Byrd and Levitre, they're all going to end up being holdouts.

X-Era
07-24-2009, 06:30 PM
Not shocked, at all. Always seems to happen.

No, just 3 of the last 4 years.

Goobylal
07-24-2009, 09:19 PM

It's actually not really an issue with the Bills. It's an issue with Maybin's agent wanting to see what the guys around Maybin gets, and going from there. And with Crabtree's (who went 10th overall) agent (the despicable Eugene Parker) looking to get top-5 money for him and that situation dragging-out, Maybin could be out awhile as his agent tried to get him closer to Crabtree than Moreno (who was taken 12th).

X-Era
07-24-2009, 09:20 PM
It's actually not really an issue with the Bills. It's an issue with Maybin's agent wanting to see what the guys around Maybin gets, and going from there. And with Crabtree's (who went 10th overall) agent (the despicable Eugene Parker) looking to get top-5 money for him and that situation dragging-out, Maybin could be out awhile as his agent tried to get him closer to Crabtree than Moreno (who was taken 12th).

Well thats what you have read. The truth may lie elsewhere.

Goobylal
07-24-2009, 09:21 PM
As someone mentioned on bb.com, the Bills are actually opening TC on essentially the same date as last year, not a week early. McKelvin signed on July 26th last year, and camp officially started on the 25th. Not sure where Gaughan got that they were starting a week early.
The first game of the season starts September 13th (and for the Bills, it's the 14th, on MNF). Last year it started September 7th. That's where the "a week early" comes from.

Goobylal
07-24-2009, 09:22 PM
Well thats what you have read. The truth may lie elsewhere.
Maybe, but doubtful. If Maybin's agent knows that Crabtree's agent wants his client to be paid like a top-5 pick, he'll wait until Crabtree signs and try and get Maybin something close. That's what any good agent would do.

HHURRICANE
07-25-2009, 10:26 AM
The good news is that by saving the money on not paying for a proven player like Peters we should have extra cash available to over pay for a guy like Maybin.

:up: Get it done!