PDA

View Full Version : It's just preseason. The SB Bills stunk in preseason

billsfanone
07-23-2009, 02:44 PM
I DO NOT WANT TO HEAR THIS AT ALL THIS YEAR! :mad:

These guys better look sharp early and often.

psubills62
07-23-2009, 02:52 PM
Would you rather hear that the 0-16 Lions went 4-0 in preseason last year?

I'm sure the SB Bills did stink in preseason...in terms of record. But I'd have a hard time believing that the first team offense and defense stunk.

All in all, I agree that I'm expecting the first team Buffalo Bills to do well moving the ball and stopping opponents in preseason. I'll be intrigued by how well the depth players do, but the first team better be ready to play.

Jan Reimers
07-23-2009, 02:58 PM
Marv preferred to rest the veterans and use the preseason to evaluate the new guys. We don't have that luxury anymore.

Luisito23
07-23-2009, 04:35 PM
We get this same thread every single year, yeah we know it's only pre-season, but I hate when people use the 90's team as a comparison...

Mudflap1
07-23-2009, 07:23 PM
When you have had 49 regular season wins in 4 years, you have the luxury of resting your veterans, writing off the preseason (for starters), and having no expectations during preseason. That is not the case when you have had 26 wins in 4 years. Case closed.

OpIv37
07-23-2009, 08:02 PM
Marv preferred to rest the veterans and use the preseason to evaluate the new guys. We don't have that luxury anymore.

no one really does. With FA, rosters change every season. During the SB days, we'd bring back 9-10 starters on O every year. It was practically the same team. Now, it's all new guys.

Let's be realistic. W/L doesn't mean **** in preseason. But the first team O and first team D better look sharp or else we're in for a LOOOOONGGG season yet again. Every year, I criticize the first team O and the first team D in preseason and get chewed out for it, but every year the team looks like **** once the real games start.

People tend to forget that it's preseason for our opponents too and they're just as inexperienced and out of practice as we are.

billsfanone
07-23-2009, 08:07 PM
Exactly OP. I'm not talking about wins and losses. I'm talking about the starters looking good and in sync when they are out there.

MikeInRoch
07-24-2009, 10:32 PM
You know, just like last year when we dominated the Super Bowl champs to be while the starters were in. That sure led to good things.

jamze132
07-24-2009, 11:47 PM
You know, just like last year when we dominated the Super Bowl champs to be while the starters were in. That sure led to good things.
So what's your take on this thread?

MikeInRoch
07-25-2009, 07:32 AM
My take is that it would generally be better to look sharp than to not in pre-season, but it's not the end of the world if they aren't perfect, especially in the first couple games.

GreedoII
07-25-2009, 09:43 AM
Those Bills team stunk because they didn't need too much time on the field. They were a well oiled machined by the time 1990 rolled around. The team now is constantly changing with FA and the fact they have sucked for the last 10 yrs. Continuity was the key back then. They didn't need much preseason and that's why they also stayed healthy all those yr too. Not to many injuries on those Super Bowl teams.

HHURRICANE
07-25-2009, 10:08 AM
I DO NOT WANT TO HEAR THIS AT ALL THIS YEAR! :mad:

These guys better look sharp early and often.

Amen. The FO said playoffs and decided a hodge-podge o-line can get us there.

If we fail this season i won't be blaming Dick Jauron.

billsfanone
08-14-2009, 01:55 PM
Sounds like we're hearing this nonsense already.

yordad
08-14-2009, 01:57 PM
Sounds like we're hearing this nonsense already.Well yeah. It's true isn't it?

billsfanone
08-14-2009, 01:59 PM
Well yeah. It's true isn't it?

Is what true?

sdbillsfan2
08-14-2009, 02:33 PM
The SB Bills lost in preseason , but never stunk.
These Bills have lost and the jury is still out on the stunk part ! I will admit , i wasn't impressed . (yet)

billsfanone
08-14-2009, 02:34 PM
The SB Bills lost in preseason , but never stunk.
These Bills have lost and the jury is still out on the stunk part ! I will admit , i wasn't impressed . (yet)

Very well put.

yordad
08-14-2009, 02:35 PM
Is what true?The SB Bills lost many a preseason game. They tinkered. They evaluated. It was a glorified practice.

billsfanone
08-14-2009, 02:37 PM
The SB Bills lost many a preseason game. They tinkered.

ok. I get that part. Are you saying it's ok for the current bills to tank in the preseason simply because the old school sb bills did?

Let me make it clear. The win or loss doesn't matter. How well they play does. they look horrible year after year in ps and it's always dismissed as "it's only preseason." I KNOW it was only 1 game so far, but so far so horrible.

yordad
08-14-2009, 02:51 PM
ok. I get that part. Are you saying it's ok for the current bills to tank in the preseason simply because the old school sb bills did?

Let me make it clear. The win or loss doesn't matter. How well they play does. they look horrible year after year in ps and it's always dismissed as "it's only preseason." I KNOW it was only 1 game so far, but so far so horrible.Well, our first team D did their job on the first drive. NTM they did no stunts, and no bltzes. Our offense looked crisp, and if it wasn't for a rookie on his 7ish NFL play getting a violent NFL bull rush for the first time in his life.... we might be signing a different tune. And, the Titans left their first stringers in longer. And, the Bills pulled a lucky fake punt off (the difference in the game) duping a guy who is likely to be cut in three weeks. Also, they went for it on 4th down in the red zone (and failed, with their backups) leaving points on the board. They figured giving the backup the pressure was better then kicking a meaningless feildgoal.

I'm just saying, if it was a real game, things would have been different. But, your right, Jauron probably would have snatched defeat from the jaws of victory late in the game.

All I am saying is, you cannot judge the Bills on this game. You can only try and grade individual performances.

Would you be happier if the first stringer looked super crappy and won by 3?

Ingtar33
08-14-2009, 10:19 PM
here is a tip to watching the preseason.

1) ignore the final score or any score.

end of tips.

justasportsfan
08-15-2009, 09:16 AM
Exactly OP. I'm not talking about wins and losses. I'm talking about the starters looking good and in sync when they are out there.
We can't give out our "secrets" when BB is watching our team especially since we are playing the Pats in our 1st game