PDA

View Full Version : BILLS: No continuity where it counts — on the O-line

madness
07-27-2009, 08:45 AM
BILLS: No continuity where it counts — on the O-line (http://www.niagara-gazette.com/sports/local_story_207205122.html)
After losing eight of their final ten games in 2008 to finish under .500 for a third straight season, the Buffalo Bills opted to keep coach Dick Jauron and the rest of the coaching staff, citing the benefits of continuity.
http://www.billszone.com/mt/images/newsicons/bills.gif niagara-gazette.com/Jonah Bronstein | Posted at 09:30 AM

Jan Reimers
07-27-2009, 09:39 AM
Continuity is extremely important, particularly for an O-Line. But when that continuity includes a slug like Dockery, a malcontent like Peters, and two non-entities like Fowler and Preston, you really need to upset the continuity and add better players.

THATHURMANATOR
07-27-2009, 09:41 AM
Seriously. They don't have continuity which is true but they have gotten rid of some scrubs and replaced them with talented players. The continuity will come. (i hope... :ill: )

HHURRICANE
07-27-2009, 09:44 AM
Continuity is extremely important, particularly for an O-Line. But when that continuity includes a slug like Dockery, a malcontent like Peters, and two non-entities like Fowler and Preston, you really need to upset the continuity and add better players.

Everyone knew that center was an issue. Dockery was not great but not as horrible as everyone here wants him to be. I'll even give the FO a pass on Dockery but when you lose Peters and have to move everysingle position on the line they deserve to be blasted.

Jan Reimers
07-27-2009, 09:52 AM
Everyone knew that center was an issue. Dockery was not great but not as horrible as everyone here wants him to be. I'll even give the FO a pass on Dockery but when you lose Peters and have to move everysingle position on the line they deserve to be blasted.
The O-Line was bad last year. Dockery was nowhere near worth what he was making, Peters didn't want to be here, and the Center position was a joke. The FO got a good young C in free agency, and two very good interior linemen in the draft. I'll give the FO credit for addressing some real needs, and will wait and see if they were successful.

madness
07-27-2009, 10:11 AM
The FO got rid of a couple of lemons, sold one they couldn't afford and used the savings to add some value-added pieces elsewhere.

Hard to argue with those business decisions. They question mark is: Did they invest wisely enough to increase GP? We'll only find the answers when it's time to produce.

DMBcrew36
07-27-2009, 10:31 AM
Time will tell. The tackle positions are still a major concern.

don137
07-27-2009, 10:37 AM
Talent and continuity are two keys to a successful offensive line. If you only have one of the two you will not be successful. The problem is to get continuity takes time. This O line will lack continuity at first resulting in many missed assignments. It takes time to know what the guy next to them is going to do when they need to adjust due to the rush. The question is how long will it take to gel.

justasportsfan
07-27-2009, 10:39 AM
I wouldn't give the FO any credit other than creating this mess to begin with.

Yasgur's Farm
07-27-2009, 10:42 AM
Everyone knew that center was an issue. Dockery was not great but not as horrible as everyone here wants him to be. I'll even give the FO a pass on Dockery but when you lose Peters and have to move everysingle position on the line they deserve to be blasted.The Bills got rid of the 2 worst players in the NFL as far as sacks allowed at their respective positions. It can be argued that they got rid of 3 if you wanna look at the combined C position.

I'm happy with the replacements and see a lot of positives coming from the FO moves!!

Lexwhat
07-27-2009, 10:51 AM
I wouldn't give the FO any credit other than creating this mess to begin with.
:bf1:

They stood around for years and watched this O-Line get manhandled. It took them half a season (or so) last year to put Fowler on the bench.

They made a step in the right direction with Wood and Levitre, but this is still far from a dominant O-Line.

Jeff1220
07-27-2009, 11:05 AM
No doubt that this is the biggest question mark on the 2009 Bills. We didn't need any mathmatical formulas or calculations to determine that every starting OLman at a new position, 3 of 5 new to the team, and 2 of 5 being rookies could be really really messy.

HHURRICANE
07-27-2009, 11:10 AM
Not one person would be *****ing right now if we had just signed Hangartner and kept Peters and Dockery. Not one.

There was nothing wrong with the right side of our line. Walker was playing fine at RT and Butler was doing well at RG. We replaced our center, Good move.

But you are going to tell me that getting rid of Peters and now having to dimanstle the right side because you don't have a choice is a good thing?

The line lacked a center that was it. A good center and this line would have been better than average.

Jeff1220
07-27-2009, 11:17 AM
Not one person would be *****ing right now if we had just signed Hangartner and kept Peters and Dockery. Not one.

There was nothing wrong with the right side of our line. Walker was playing fine at RT and Butler was doing well at RG. We replaced our center, Good move.

But you are going to tell me that getting rid of Peters and now having to dimanstle the right side because you don't have a choice is a good thing?

The line lacked a center that was it. A good center and this line would have been better than average.

I don't really agree w/HH on much, but I agree w/this completely. With the addition of Hangartner and resigning JP, this line would've seemed pretty well set.
I realize JP was a malcontent and all that, and maybe made his demands werevunreasonable because he didn't want to be in Buffalo anyway, but most of us would've thought a Walker-Butler-Hangartner-Dockery-Peters line to be pretty nice.

yordad
07-27-2009, 11:25 AM
I would rather have our current line. Dockery sucked, and Peters didn't try as hard as he should have.

madness
07-27-2009, 11:27 AM

The line was pathetic last year and never reached the promise it was supposed to even before that. Seriously, how do you have the biggest line in the NFL and continue to let your backs get hit multiple times before they even get to the line?

Yes, we would have preferred the Peters situation to go down differently but Dockery was a waste of money and space. Butler was doing well but we had one of the worst interior OL (both run and pass blocking) in the entire league.

When something is broke beyond repair, no band aid is big enough. It was time to start over and get rid of the dead weight which was Fowler and Dockery.

Yasgur's Farm
07-27-2009, 11:32 AM

The line lacked a center that was it. A good center and this line would have been better than average.True... As long as you keep ignoring the fact that our 2 overpaid (& wanna be overpaid) left siders led the league in sacks.

WeAreArthurMoates
07-27-2009, 11:52 AM

R you kidding I hated Dockery and was glad to see him go. He was worthless. It's true I would of liked to keep Peters but I love Wood so it's a wash to me. In fact, Wood will be more valuable to us in the long run.

Al the Bills Fan
07-27-2009, 12:13 PM
R you kidding I hated Dockery and was glad to see him go. He was worthless. It's true I would of liked to keep Peters but I love Wood so it's a wash to me. In fact, Wood will be more valuable to us in the long run.
You love Wood huh?

Jeff1220
07-27-2009, 01:31 PM
Nobody expected Dock to be cut. Sure he was overpaid, but that was more about the ridiculous deal the team gave him. I'd bet he performs well for the Skins. And if Peters was resigned, most of the people here would be saying how we have the premier young LT in the game. It's easy to talk about the sacks now, but if the guys were still here, many of us would be looking at the players quite differently.
Not to say I don't like Wood and Levitre as draft picks, but the whole line is way more of a ? as it is than it would've been.