PDA

View Full Version : Bills' Hangartner in the middle of things

madness
07-27-2009, 08:46 AM
Bills' Hangartner in the middle of things (http://www.buffalonews.com/452/story/745469.html)
Since Kent Hull retired after the 1996 season, the center position has been pedestrian at best for the Buffalo Bills, which is why they made Geoff Hangartner a top priority signing during the offseason.
http://www.billszone.com/mt/images/newsicons/bills.gif buffalonews.com/Rodney McKissic | Posted at 09:36 AM

Jan Reimers
07-27-2009, 09:42 AM
The guy is still fairly young, has started 27 games on a very good O-Line, and scored 47 on his Wonderlic. I'd say his detractors on here should at least give him a chance.

THATHURMANATOR
07-27-2009, 09:43 AM
Who is detracting Hangartner?

Jan Reimers
07-27-2009, 09:56 AM
Who is detracting Hangartner?
I remember some of the negative posters on here (I won't name names) bashing him because he was a career backup who only started a "handful of games," was unproven, etc.

madness
07-27-2009, 10:04 AM
The guy is still fairly young, has started 27 games on a very good O-Line, and scored 47 on his Wonderlic. I'd say his detractors on here should at least give him a chance.

One of the main reasons he was persued was how well he handles the POA against larger DT's and how he finishes in the run game. If he can carry those two things over to the OL this year, it's an automatic upgrade over anything we've had recently.

justasportsfan
07-27-2009, 10:14 AM
"A very, very smart guy.... " Thats all Dick ever says about his players but hardly ever shows on the field. If Hangartner doesn't pan out, maybe we should hire dumb players for a change.

don137
07-27-2009, 10:31 AM
"A very, very smart guy.... " Thats all Dick ever says about his players but hardly ever shows on the field. If Hangartner doesn't pan out, maybe we should hire dumb players for a change.

We did...McGahee and Peters were about as dumb as they come...Good talent but just listened to their agents and ended up getting shipped out due to contract problems.

justasportsfan
07-27-2009, 10:44 AM
We did...McGahee and Peters were about as dumb as they come...Good talent but just listened to their agents and ended up getting shipped out due to contract problems.
but at least we got something out of them right?

Lexwhat
07-27-2009, 10:47 AM

I can name 5 "smart" players for every "dumb" player on this team.

madness
07-27-2009, 10:49 AM
but at least we got something out of them right?

Yep, 1 1/2 good seasons and future draft picks.

justasportsfan
07-27-2009, 10:55 AM
Yep, 1 1/2 good seasons and future draft picks.
we haven't gotten anything out of our smart players yet and we're on our 4th year of hiring smart players.

I may sound negative about this and I actually like the players we've brought in but I'm tired of Dicks same old BS when he can't make these smart players produce on the field.

In the meantime teams like the Pats make their players look like genius' on the field whether they're rookies or a back ups. Dick needs to STFU trying to talk up his players. If they're so smart and can't produce then maybe out coaches are idiots.

Lexwhat
07-27-2009, 10:55 AM
I remember some of the negative posters on here (I won't name names) bashing him because he was a career backup who only started a "handful of games," was unproven, etc.

As far as I'm concerned, Hangartner is an unknown.

That means we don't know if he's going to be good OR bad.

BillsWin
07-27-2009, 11:31 AM
Hes grown on me as a center. I never doubted him as a player, but when Wood was drafted I became a major lobbyist for Geoff moving to RG and putting Wood at his natural spot, center. I had and still have a feeling that Wood could be the next Hull, he was a brute of a center in college and it appears as though he could do the same here. It was on senior day when he got some reps at guard, and he was demolished. Toward the end of that practice he picked it up, but he still seems to me to be a GREAT center and an OK guard.

regardless, Geoff remains the center, and from what Ive heard, he is doing a good job and learning the reads and blitz pickups well enough.

Now Wood needs to get his ass into camp so the line can grow together.

Jan Reimers
07-27-2009, 04:22 PM
As far as I'm concerned, Hangartner is an unknown.

That means we don't know if he's going to be good OR bad.
I think the Bills studied film and scouted him in Carolina, because he was high on their FA list. At least the FO feels he's good, but time will tell. They thought Fowler was good, too.

Hemlepp53
07-27-2009, 05:52 PM
I am glad we got him on the roster. He seems to be into the game more than into the BS that comes with the game. He seems aggressive and we need front line fighters. Guys who will chop and punch off the line.