PDA

View Full Version : List of teams that have won a Super Bowl with a "Slash" Quarterback

The Juice Is Loose
07-28-2009, 11:54 AM
The end.

justasportsfan
07-28-2009, 11:56 AM
Cunningham was abetter passer and an all around qb than Vick

The Juice Is Loose
07-28-2009, 11:58 AM
Damn right. Randall Cunningham was what Vick wanted to be. He could run, make the crazy play, but when called on to drop back and make a throw he could do it as good as most guys.

If it weren't for Elway, Marino, Kelly, Simms, Moon and Montana Cunningham would've been a steady pro bowler.

Wow look at that list. We don't have half the amount of "rock solid" QB's in the league anymore.

Pinkerton Security
07-28-2009, 12:01 PM
The end.

I totally agree, sure running QB's may be exciting and an even win you some games, but they wont bring you to the promised land.

Mad Bomber
07-28-2009, 12:21 PM
The end.
:rofl:

That pretty much sums it up.

yordad
07-28-2009, 12:25 PM
How many slash QBs have there been? There percentage of the general QB population is rather low too, wouldn't you say?

justasportsfan
07-28-2009, 12:28 PM
There percentage of the general QB population is rather low too, wouldn't you say?
makes you wonder why .

kid mickey
07-28-2009, 12:44 PM
Randel El is/was a slash. In fact I believe he threw the T.D that Hines Ward caught against Seattle for the winning T.D. Yes, I do consider him as a slash player because he was a QB in college and he takes snaps as a QB in the pros. He also ran the football. So I guess it would depend on your definition of slash.

yordad
07-28-2009, 12:45 PM
makes you wonder why .Not really. It takes a world class athlete. There aren't too many Michael Vicks.

trapezeus
07-28-2009, 12:47 PM
micheal vick got the falcons to the NFC championship game and won in coldweather.

Kordell stewart took his team to the AFC Championship game.

Cunningham was a winner.

People put Mcnabb as a running QB even though he's a good pocket passer.

Steve Young knew how to scramble.

Not that i want vick, but versatile QB's who have wheels have the ability to take teams to the playoffs. at this point, i'd love to get to the playoffs.

kwharter
07-28-2009, 01:11 PM
What about Steve Young, he did it all. He even won a super bowl

kid mickey
07-28-2009, 01:15 PM
Randel El. Randel El. Randel El. I'm going to keep posting Randel El until somebody acknowledges it.

Pinkerton Security
07-28-2009, 01:39 PM
Randel El. Randel El. Randel El. I'm going to keep posting Randel El until somebody acknowledges it.

He isnt a QB. This discussion is focused on QB's who run, not WR's to sometimes throw the ball. LT has like 4 passing td's, doesnt make him a slash QB

kid mickey
07-28-2009, 01:41 PM
Randel El is a slash by definition. QB in college who ran and threw. Grew into WR in pros. Plays all three. Makes him a slash.

Ickybaluky
07-28-2009, 01:41 PM
This is kind of dumb premise.

Who says Vick has to play QB? The guy is an incredible athlete and a great runner. Even if he doesn't play QB, that kind of weapon on offense would be a boost to any team.

Leaving aside Vick's legal issues and how anyone feels about what he went to jail for, you can't deny the guy is a unique athletic talent. A creative coaching staff will find ways to utilize that talent, whether that means him throwing or running with the football. It would be an extra weapon to be accounted for, which is a help for any team.

It comes down to whether a team wants to deal with the other stuff. The talent isn't in question.

Typ0
07-28-2009, 02:40 PM
idiots really drag this board down more than anything.

Pinkerton Security
07-28-2009, 02:44 PM
Randel El is a slash by definition. QB in college who ran and threw. Grew into WR in pros. Plays all three. Makes him a slash.

He does not play QB is the point. We are talking about Quarterbacks. IE, who doesnt belong in this group: Cunningham, Vick, McNabb, Steve Young, Randle El...obviously Randle El because he isnt a QB..... If we signed up Vick to be a WR, I'd actually be excited about that.

Either way, Randle El is a gimmick player who isnt really that good unless used in the right way, so i'm not sure why you're harping on him.

kid mickey
07-28-2009, 03:01 PM
I am just validating a point that a slash player can contribute in a Super Bowl. Just because his labeled position is WR doesn't mean he's not a slash. He can play multiple positions including QB, therefor he is a slash player.

kid mickey
07-28-2009, 03:06 PM
Miami has Pat White listed as a QB, but I am willing to bet he will line up as a receiver more often than not. Does that make him a receiver? No that makes him a slash. Oh and if Vick came to Buffalo I would love to see him as a receiver as well. He can play multiple positions. That is my point.

The Juice Is Loose
07-28-2009, 06:11 PM
Randle El threw a reverse pass for a TD. Total gimmick play. Does that mean Marshawn is a slash player because he threw a TD?

You guys are mostly idiots. Steve Young wasn't a slash player. He was a QB who could throw and read a defense and when need be (only when need be) had the wheels to make a play. Same with Cunningham and McNabb.

We're talking about a player who relied on running as his sole assett for his team. Vick was DREADFUL as a passer, and he's not going to sign with a team as WR, he's going to sign as a QB.

And the "slash" term, was invented and applied to QUARTERBACKS. And even in the Cunningham.McNabb argument, how many Superbowls have they won/

Eli, Peyton, Brady. All pocket passers. Elway could scramble but was a pocket passer. Kelly and Marino were pocket passers. This game is what it is and scrambley quarterbacks rely on their running and FEAR passing.

Vick will never help another team ever. He'll hurt whoever is dumb enough to take, if anybody is dumb enough to take him.

I say again good luck in the UFL.

Mr. Pink
07-28-2009, 06:18 PM
FYI Elway was not a pocket passer. He wasn't a slash type player either though.

In fact that term has only existed for about 14 years when Kordell Stewart came in to the league. That Steeler team made the SB with many contributions from Kordell during the year, including but not limited to, catching a TD pass against the Colts in the AFC Championship game.

So who fits the slash type QB moniker exactly?

theanswer74
07-28-2009, 06:22 PM
The end.

Well, there havent really been that many.

Do I beleive one day some coach will bring the spread option to the NFL? I think one day it will happen, maybe if Urban Meyer ever tries the NFL. I think the spread option might work in the NFL, but you would basically need a QB built like a LB, like Tim Tebow.

Philagape
07-28-2009, 06:27 PM
Elway and Young were scramblers, but they were good in the pocket too, not a liability like Vick.
Whether Vick still has value or not depends entirely on his role.
As a starting QB, he's done. He's become available just as camps are starting, so he'd have to learn an offense from scratch. And that's after being out of football for two years.
His skills are so unique -- and narrow -- that offenses have been built around him. He needed that to succeed. And that's never going to happen again.
As a gimmick role player, he may be able to stay in the league. But since he relies entirely on his athleticism, he ain't getting any younger, and what kind of game shape is he in now? And is a part-time player whose ability to win games won't be what it used to be worth the distractions he'll bring?

nateodoms'bff
07-28-2009, 06:30 PM
Favre was a scrambler too. 3 time MVP and owns every major passing record. I'd say that the QB with legs can and does win championships. In fact some of the greatest QB's of all time have been mobile.

The problem with Vick isn't that he can't throw the ball, its that he can't throw it with accuracy or any kind of touch.

Like Tavarous Jackson. Or Aaron Brooks. Or Anthony Wright. Or Daniel Zabransky. All of these guys have/had a canon for an arm and could run. None of them can win a championship in the NFL. Its because they can't make the crucial throws when they need to be made.

RamblingMisnomer
07-28-2009, 06:40 PM
Vick-6 years Pro:
2001-2 GS, 44.2cmp%, 2 TD, 3 INT
2002-15 GS, 54.9cmp%, 16TD, 8 INT
2003-4 GS, 50% cmp%, 4 TD, 3 INT
2004-15 GS, 56.4 cmp%, 14 TD, 12 INT
2005-15 GS, 55.3cmp%, 15 TD, 13 INT
2006-16 GS, 52.6%, 20 TD, 13 INT
Career-67 GS, 53.8 cmp%, 71 TD, 52 INT

Eli Manning
2004-7 GS, 48.2%, 6 TD, 9 INT
2005-16 GS, 52.8%, 24TD, 17 INT
2006-16GS, 57.7%, 24 TD, 18 INT
2007-16 GS, 56.1%, 23TD, 20 INT
2008-16 GS, 60.3%, 21TD, 10 INT
Career-71GS, 55.9%, 98 TD, 74 INT

Trent Edwards:
2007-9 GS, 56.1%, 7 TD, 8 INT
2008-14GS, 65.5%, 11 TD, 10 INT
Career-23GS, 61.6%, 18 TD, 18 INT

I like perspective....

Joe Fo Sho
07-28-2009, 07:15 PM
The end.

List of QB's who suck cuz they haven't won a Superbowl...

Warren Moon
Jim Kelly
Dan Marino
Boomer Esiason
Dan Fouts
Fran Tarkenton

What a ridiculous thread. How many "slash" QBs have there been??? There has only been like 43 Superbowls.

There's what, 3 coaches in the NFL who have won a Superbowl???

Christ, 29 coaches in this league must be a**...

chubluv
07-28-2009, 08:13 PM
I agree with NE39. Vick doesn't have to be a QB. He could be used in multiple ways. I think a team will take a chance on him and move him all over the Field to utilize his skills.

The Juice Is Loose
07-28-2009, 09:18 PM
Well, there havent really been that many.

Do I beleive one day some coach will bring the spread option to the NFL? I think one day it will happen, maybe if Urban Meyer ever tries the NFL. I think the spread option might work in the NFL, but you would basically need a QB built like a LB, like Tim Tebow.

maybe you can run that in a 10 game season where half the teams you play don't even belong on the same field as you. in a 16 week grueling schedule your playing against trained professionals. the talent difference between the best team and worst team in the NFL isn't near the difference in the average college game. That's why there are rarely 50 point blowouts in the NFL.

you run that spread BS and it takes one hit for your linebacker quarterback to be done for the season, and when you run that spread your putting yourself in line for that hit 1000 percent more. it won't ever happen.

Nighthawk
07-28-2009, 09:59 PM
List of people on this board who want to keep reading this crap...

...THE END!

camelcowboy
07-28-2009, 11:19 PM
I am just validating a point that a slash player can contribute in a Super Bowl. Just because his labeled position is WR doesn't mean he's not a slash. He can play multiple positions including QB, therefor he is a slash player.
Just because u post something over and over won't make it true. Randell El is a receiver. Enough Bettis threw passes too doesn't make him a qb.