PDA

View Full Version : I Support Trent

Yasgur's Farm
07-28-2009, 05:44 PM
And I hope he is the leader we've been lacking... But this author shares some of my concerns.
http://www.realfootball365.com/articles/bills/14153

Let us dive into Edwards numbers from the 2008 season. His supporters will most likely point to the following statistics as proof of Edwards’ legitimacy: his good 65.5% completion percentage placing him 6th in the NFL, his respectable 7.2 YPA placing him 11th in the NFL and his middling 85.4 QB rating placing him 17th in the league. But for those caught up in a Trent Edwards love fest here is a dirty little non-secret – the Bills were not good at passing offense or offense in general last year. Neither was Edwards. He was 23rd in the league with 193 yards per game. He was 27th in the league with 11 TDs tied with such studs as Marc Bulger and Seneca Wallace. Last time I checked gaining yards and throwing TDs are a fairly basic way of evaluating quarterback play. Edwards was also unspectacular in long passes, 18th in passes over 20 yards and 19th in passes over 40 yards showing his penchant for dumping it off instead of challenging the defense downfield.
The last black mark on Trent Edwards’ 2008 season was the competition or lack thereof. The Football Outsiders used the word “comical” to describe the bottom of the barrel passing defense faced by Edwards in 2008 and ranked it as the 3rd easiest schedule for a QB since 1995. Edwards faced teams that ranked 32nd, 31st, 29th and 28th in passing defense. Seven out of Edwards’ twelve full games were against teams ranked 20th or lower. The best defense faced was Oakland at 10th. In short, while most of us agree the Edwards was average to below average last year, not all of us recognize the ridiculously low degree of difficulty he was working with. If a guy is putting up B minuses in a class with kids that ride the short bus to school and eat paste, how do you expect him to do when he is thrown back into circulation with all the smart kids?

ServoBillieves
07-28-2009, 07:42 PM
Don't know how to upload pictures, but my old thing was "In Trent I Trust." Keep him upright, work on the three step drop, put him in shotgun, we're set.

dplus47
07-28-2009, 08:52 PM
i don't think the weak defenses trent faced are that big a factor. the teams were ranked low, in part, because of the success trent had against them. you can only play the teams the league puts on your schedule.

the first part of your post is a concern: yards and TD passes are necessary. i do think, though, that YPA is a pretty good indicator of a QB's quality. i think the bills just needed to put the ball in the air more, because the team gained 7.2 yards for every time trent threw. that's pretty good.

and i want him to suck; i'm a fan of an opponent. i think he'll be a pretty good QB in this league if his health holds up. that's the big "if" with him.

Romes
07-28-2009, 09:12 PM
TO should help with the TD's. We had practically no red zone threats last year.

feldspar
07-29-2009, 12:58 AM
Funny how is best stats are based on averages, while his worst ones were based on playing time...he missed three and a half games.

Also, so what if the Bills only beat bad teams last year? The Bills were exposed as being pretty bad themselves. It's a clean slate this year. Gotta give him some time to develop.

ddaryl
07-29-2009, 07:28 AM
Trent is devloping just find, and I don't feel any of those concerns listed are traits... they're just learning curves, growing pains, and lack of weapons around him...

Dujek
07-29-2009, 07:59 AM
The yards and TD figures can also be blamed on the conservative play-calling. if Trent is 11th in the league on his YPA figure but much lower in total yardage then surely that's a failure in play-calling to take advantage of the success he was having throwing the ball?

I mean, that makes sense, right? A high average YPA means that when he was given the chance to throw the ball he got the job done, so the low total yards are due to the coaches not sending in enough passing plays...

Mathematics 101...

feldspar
07-29-2009, 01:41 PM
The yards and TD figures can also be blamed on the conservative play-calling. if Trent is 11th in the league on his YPA figure but much lower in total yardage then surely that's a failure in play-calling to take advantage of the success he was having throwing the ball?

I mean, that makes sense, right? A high average YPA means that when he was given the chance to throw the ball he got the job done, so the low total yards are due to the coaches not sending in enough passing plays...

Mathematics 101...

You make a good point, but I'd like to add that Trent averaged 216 yards per game in actuality. The official stats are warped because they include the Arizona game (where he got knocked out almost right away) and the second half of the 49ers game, where he didn't play. All things being equal, had he not missed 3 and a half games, you could project that he would have had 3,456 passing yards. This isn't so bad. It would have put him 12th in the NFL, just between Brett Favre and Tony Romo.

Likewise, had Trent not been hurt, he would have scored a few more TDs, which would have brought him up the list about 7 spots in that category. It would have looked better for him on paper, but it's no secret that the Bills have to get in the endzone more...we weren't very good at it last year. That's why we have T.O.. The guy puts points on the board.

acehole
07-30-2009, 07:05 AM
Bottom line is this offense is not a high octane arial assalt. He is the perfect QB for this dink and dunk junk that we run...should be improved with the addtion of TO inspite of some of saying in years past "Weapons dont mater" they do....and he has got some now. I don't think he is a "Football" player. My concern with him is not only his fear to take a hit and dump off to fast but his durability. We shall see.

You make a good point, but I'd like to add that Trent averaged 216 yards per game in actuality. The official stats are warped because they include the Arizona game (where he got knocked out almost right away) and the second half of the 49ers game, where he didn't play. All things being equal, had he not missed 3 and a half games, you could project that he would have had 3,456 passing yards. This isn't so bad. It would have put him 12th in the NFL, just between Brett Favre and Tony Romo.

Likewise, had Trent not been hurt, he would have scored a few more TDs, which would have brought him up the list about 7 spots in that category. It would have looked better for him on paper, but it's no secret that the Bills have to get in the endzone more...we weren't very good at it last year. That's why we have T.O.. The guy puts points on the board.

SABURZFAN
07-30-2009, 09:31 AM
Bottom line is this offense is not a high octane arial assalt. He is the perfect QB for this dink and dunk junk that we run...should be improved with the addtion of TO inspite of some of saying in years past "Weapons dont mater" they do....and he has got some now. I don't think he is a "Football" player. My concern with him is not only his fear to take a hit and dump off to fast but his durability. We shall see.

you thought Losman was the man in Buffalo so we don't care what you think. :rolleyes:

Hemlepp53
07-30-2009, 10:13 AM
TO should help with the TD's. We had practically no red zone threats last year.

This seems to be soemthing that this over looked. If he can get 10 plus from TO and more oppertunity to throw the ball due to coverage match ups his numbers cant do anything but improve.