PDA

View Full Version : Byrd out for two weeks...

sauce
07-29-2009, 03:57 PM
http://www.buffalonews.com/sports/story/748269.html (http://www.buffalonews.com/sports/story/748269.html)

Buffalo Bills rookie safety Jairus Byrd underwent surgery to repair a sports hernia two weeks ago and will be on the shelf for at least the next two weeks, team and league sources told The News.

Byrd had not yet reported to Bills training camp as of Wednesday, but his agent was close to an agreement on a contract with the Bills.

The injury hinders the chances of the University of Oregon product to make an immediate impact on the field.

The Bills have designs on installing Byrd as a starter at free safety this season. A sports hernia injury generally has a wide recovery range — from four to eight weeks. Byrd's surgery was considered routine and it's believed he may be closer to the four-week recovery period.

Byrd already figured to arrive at camp a tad behind the other rookies. He was not able to participate in any of the Bills' spring practices because Oregon had a late May start date for its final exam schedule. The NFL has a rule prohibiting rookie participation in minicamps if final exams don't start by a certain date.

Byrd did visit team headquarters in Orchard Park after minicamp. It was decided by the team to take care of his hernia before training camp rather than have the injury potentially linger into the season.

The Bills consider Byrd a playmaker in the secondary. He had the second most interceptions (17) of any player in the draft this April. He also deflected 53 passes in college, fourth best in Oregon history. He was a three-year starter at cornerback for the Ducks. The Bills see him as a ball-hawker who is a natural to convert to the back line of the secondary.

Donte Whitner and Bryan Scott are the incumbent starters at safety for the Bills. While the safeties are somewhat interchangeable, Scott is mostly a strong safety. Whitner can play free safety or strong safety. When Byrd proves he's ready to get on the field, Whitner would shift back to strong safety with Byrd playing a center-field role.

Even if he wasn't going to miss practice time, it might be asking a lot for Byrd to take the field as a starter in the season opener Sept. 14, since the Bills will face star quarterback Tom Brady and the powerful New England Patriots' offense. Scott is a seventh-year veteran who brings plenty of experience to the secondary. He figures to be on the field a lot the first game.

Byrd was the 42nd overall pick in the draft. When his contract is completed, it's expected to be worth about $4.3 million over four years.
<!-- / message --><!-- sig -->__________________

cocamide
07-29-2009, 03:58 PM
Here comes 100 'the sky is falling' posts.

sauce
07-29-2009, 04:05 PM

Exactly which is why I debated not posted it....

RamblingMisnomer
07-29-2009, 04:07 PM
The sky is not falling but this will severely hurt any contributions people may have been hoping Byrd would make this season.

realdealryan
07-29-2009, 04:09 PM
aaaaaaahhhhhhh Cut him!

Oaf
07-29-2009, 04:12 PM
Why is this NOT terrible news. He pretty much loses ANY chance of being a playmaker before week 8. No mini-camp, no contract, and no training camp for two weeks- how's he possibly going to be ready to start and be the ballhawk we desperately need?

While not the same situation, this kinda reminds me of Crowell getting surgery before the season.

Oaf
07-29-2009, 04:13 PM
Exactly which is why I debated not posted it....
Heh, maybe you shouldn't post it next time, then we'd never ever hear what happened. :rolleyes:

k-oneputt
07-29-2009, 04:15 PM
Another useless first day draft pick. Do the Bills actually look for guys that are injured to draft ?

HHURRICANE
07-29-2009, 04:18 PM
Let's not be negative. The rookies usually aren't any better in year two.

trapezeus
07-29-2009, 04:28 PM
does this kind of thing not hamper the negotiations? even if its a regular type of surgery, you drafted him in the place you took him because you expected him to be able to contribute. Shouldn't this affect his contract in a normal world?

HHURRICANE
07-29-2009, 04:49 PM
does this kind of thing not hamper the negotiations? even if its a regular type of surgery, you drafted him in the place you took him because you expected him to be able to contribute. Shouldn't this affect his contract in a normal world?

Totally agree.

RamblingMisnomer
07-29-2009, 05:25 PM

Which is probably why its taking so long, along with the fact that Butler (pick ahead of him) signed for less money than Brown (pick behind him) signed for. I imagine his contract may be a little more incentive laden.

Jan Reimers
07-29-2009, 05:25 PM
Another useless first day draft pick. Do the Bills actually look for guys that are injured to draft ?
The guy may have only a couple of more weeks before he's ready to go. If you've read about him, he's bright, and a student of the game who loves to study film. He will make up for lost time in a hurry.

Neither the Bills nor Byrd knew he was going to suffer this injury - it happened long after the draft - and it is ridiculously premature to label him as a "useless first day pick" before he even hits the field.

Scumbag College
07-29-2009, 05:31 PM
Byrd was my favorite player and now I hate him.

Jan Reimers
07-29-2009, 05:34 PM
Byrd was my favorite player and now I hate him.
Why?

Scumbag College
07-29-2009, 05:39 PM
Why?

Because he's going to miss at least the first three preseason games.

Maybe I was overreacting.

Jan Reimers
07-29-2009, 05:45 PM
Because he's going to miss at least the first three preseason games.

Maybe I was overreacting.
I don't think he tried to hurt himself. And now that he's in camp, he'll be working with his position coach, watching drills, studying film, etc. He's smart and he'll catch on quickly. If he can get back on the field by mid-August, he can still make a big contribution.

mysticsoto
07-29-2009, 06:55 PM
If Byrd is not ready this year, then so be it. But he will first likely replace Wilson or Wendling (if he can play STs) initially and then attempt to challenge Byron Scott. For this year, I wasn't expecting much from him anyway.

OpIv37
07-29-2009, 07:32 PM
Typical Buffalo luck- the guy misses mini camp but we manage to get him in camp early... then he gets hurt.

WTF?

kid mickey
07-29-2009, 08:04 PM
Typical Buffalo luck- the guy misses mini camp but we manage to get him in camp early... then he gets hurt.

WTF?

No he was already hurt. We got him in today, but he got hurt while working out on his own time. I wasn't expecting him to start right away but I was eager to see what he could do in the pre-season. The injury will sideline him for at least 2 more weeks and could hold him out for up to 6 more weeks. The injury bug in Buffalo is biting already. I seriously think Buffalo should have a better medical staff to keep all these guys off IR.

OpIv37
07-29-2009, 08:14 PM
No he was already hurt. We got him in today, but he got hurt while working out on his own time. I wasn't expecting him to start right away but I was eager to see what he could do in the pre-season. The injury will sideline him for at least 2 more weeks and could hold him out for up to 6 more weeks. The injury bug in Buffalo is biting already. I seriously think Buffalo should have a better medical staff to keep all these guys off IR.

well same difference- the point is that this is a guy we were hoping could start, and instead he gets held out of mini camps due to a stupid rule and held out of training camp due to injury. This team can't catch a break and it's incredibly frustrating.

kid mickey
07-29-2009, 09:26 PM
well same difference- the point is that this is a guy we were hoping could start, and instead he gets held out of mini camps due to a stupid rule and held out of training camp due to injury. This team can't catch a break and it's incredibly frustrating.

No they really can't. Maybe this year things fall into place, but it seems like every year Buffalo finds a way to take itself out of the play-off pictures. I am anxious for the team this year and I want to be optimistic, but every year its the same song and dance so I realistically expect nothing more than 7-9. Do I want better? Hell yea we all do, but I'm not raising the bar on my expectations, but the damn team better be raising the bar on theirs.

MikeInRoch
07-29-2009, 09:27 PM
I seriously think Buffalo should have a better medical staff to keep all these guys off IR.

Exactly how would a 'better medical staff' have prevented this injury?

X-Era
07-30-2009, 06:09 AM
No they really can't. Maybe this year things fall into place, but it seems like every year Buffalo finds a way to take itself out of the play-off pictures. I am anxious for the team this year and I want to be optimistic, but every year its the same song and dance so I realistically expect nothing more than 7-9. Do I want better? Hell yea we all do, but I'm not raising the bar on my expectations, but the damn team better be raising the bar on theirs.

Problems abound in the organization. We can find flaws just about everywhere in the organization.

I think the next opportunity for real change to the fortunes of this team will be after Ralph passes away. But that will also be a time of great concern... it could go either way.

Jan Reimers
07-30-2009, 06:46 AM
Exactly how would a 'better medical staff' have prevented this injury?
The same way they could have prevented Johnson's bruised ribs, DiGiorgio's torn ACL and most other injuries that happen to very physical guys playing a very physical game - confining them to their rooms and limiting their competitive activities to playing Madden football.

Ickybaluky
07-30-2009, 07:09 AM
Maybe they can hire Michael Jackson's doctor.

M
07-30-2009, 01:29 PM
Well, here's a nice write-up about him in SI. Hopefully he gets better sooner rather than later.

Searching for hidden rookie gems as team training camps open

Buffalo -- Jairus Byrd (http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/football/nfl/players/9306) (2nd round, 42nd overall)
All the attributes that made Byrd a huge impact player at Oregon are translating well thus far to the bigger stage. He has proved to be one of those rare instinctive players who just always manages to get his hands on the football (17 career interceptions for the Ducks).
He will play and he will find a way to be around the ball. With good size at 210-pounds and the bloodlines to match (father, Gill, was a Pro Bowler for the Chargers), Byrd may have been a surprising pick considering the Bills had other needs, but he simply was too good to pass up. He's showing he's too good to pass against, too.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2009/writers/john_lopez/07/29/rookies/index.html?bcnn=yes