PDA

View Full Version : Rogers is excited to be back at work

Gunzlingr
05-21-2003, 09:10 AM
ALLEN PARK -- Charles Rogers went back to work with a smile.

With a two-week rest from his first mini-camp as a pro, Rogers, the Lions' highly touted first-round draft pick, was refreshed and eager when the off-season workout program for rookies began Tuesday.

"I was smiling getting back -- getting back to work," Rogers said. "I was definitely excited."

Rogers had a crash course in playing wide receiver during a three-day mini-camp May 2-4, one week after the draft.

The pace this time will be slower and more measured.

Tuesday, Rogers caught passes from quarterbacks Joey Harrington and Mike McMahon and took part in a conditioning program that included running and weight training.

Except for conditioning, this week's drills are devoted primarily to rookies and quarterbacks. Veterans report today to begin three weeks of on-field drills.

"We probably had like 40 plays in three days," Rogers said of the initial mini-camp. "It was a little bit of a cram. Now, you get a chance to cut back and regroup and come back fresh.

"Right now, we're doing a little bit of everything -- getting ready for the whole package, from running and lifting to mentally preparing."

After the first mini-camp, Rogers spent a week in Florida, where he worked out to stay in shape in preparation for the draft. He returned to his home in Saginaw to spend time with his family.

Rogers will stay near the Lions' headquarters for the rest of the summer. Rookies report to training camp July 23.

Players can participate in the off-season program even if they aren't under contract. However, no player can take part in training camp without a contract. Rogers doesn't envision a holdout.

"Everything is going as planned," Rogers said. "That's really between the management and my agent. I think everything is going great."

MORE (http://www.detnews.com/2003/lions/0305/21/e02-171054.htm)