PDA

View Full Version : Ok, the ball is in Maybin's court now

The Juice Is Loose
07-31-2009, 01:20 PM
Let's get real. The excuses are out the window. Slotting schmotting. If a d end 2 picks after you is signed you have the parameters in place.

Let's see if Maybin actually wants to get to camp. Or if he wants to get a sweet contract. If I'm Maybin I'm telling my agent we have the parameters and to get me to camp. The agent works for the player, not the other way around.

So let's see what happens.

Pinkerton Security
07-31-2009, 02:06 PM
Let's get real. The excuses are out the window. Slotting schmotting. If a d end 2 picks after you is signed you have the parameters in place.

Let's see if Maybin actually wants to get to camp. Or if he wants to get a sweet contract. If I'm Maybin I'm telling my agent we have the parameters and to get me to camp. The agent works for the player, not the other way around.

if only it were that simple..

OpIv37
07-31-2009, 02:12 PM
Have the Bills made Maybin an offer? Until they do, the ball can't possibly be in his court. He has to wait until the team makes him an offer, then he can accept, decline or counter-offer. In the meantime, there's literally nothing he can do except wait and maybe give the team some idea of what he expects.

Look, I don't like the Maybin pick either. I don't like the way the Bills are counting on an undersized rookie for pass-rushing help and I don't like the fact that a guy with such high expectations isn't in camp yet. But I think you're putting far too much blame on Maybin for this situation. It's not his fault that the Bills didn't address the pass rush in any other manner and it's not his fault that the NFL has a really ****ty system for signing first round draft picks.

Bulldog
07-31-2009, 02:23 PM
Have the Bills made Maybin an offer? Until they do, the ball can't possibly be in his court. He has to wait until the team makes him an offer, then he can accept, decline or counter-offer. In the meantime, there's literally nothing he can do except wait and maybe give the team some idea of what he expects.

Look, I don't like the Maybin pick either. I don't like the way the Bills are counting on an undersized rookie for pass-rushing help and I don't like the fact that a guy with such high expectations isn't in camp yet. But I think you're putting far too much blame on Maybin for this situation. It's not his fault that the Bills didn't address the pass rush in any other manner and it's not his fault that the NFL has a really ****ty system for signing first round draft picks.

Do you know that the Bills haven't made him an offer? Or are you just being you usual pissy self?

yordad
07-31-2009, 02:28 PM
How could the Bills not have made him an offer yet?

ddaryl
07-31-2009, 02:32 PM
How many 1st rd picks in the top 12 have signed ????

how many 1st rd picks in general ???

and stop hating maybin already. At least give him a preseason before you bombard the board with I hate maybin posts

OpIv37
07-31-2009, 02:34 PM
Do you know that the Bills haven't made him an offer? Or are you just being you usual pissy self?

Do I know? no, but first round picks in Maybin's range are just starting to sign, so it's not unreasonable to think that the Bills haven't made him an offer.

In addition, the original poster said the ball was in Maybin's court without any proof that the Bills made him an offer. I don't know why you're singling me out when his conjecture is as bad- if not worse- than mine.

Friggin' A, I was defending a draft pick that I don't even like and I'm still getting called out. WTF do you people want from me?

yordad
07-31-2009, 02:36 PM
I think it would be unreasonable to think the Bills have not made an offer. Very unreasonable. Then again, the Bills don't always seem reasonable.

Mahdi
07-31-2009, 02:38 PM
When it comes to signing draft picks it really has nothing to do with offers. Its all about who got what last year in my spot and how much more im making than him AND who signed for what before and after me. Its more scientific for draft picks than it is for FAs.

Maybin will not miss much more time. The only other hold up now is the language in rookie contracts that agents and FO's haggle over.

Not much of this process has to do with what Maybin wants.

OpIv37
07-31-2009, 02:40 PM
I think it would be unreasonable to think the Bills have not made an offer. Very unreasonable. Then again, the Bills don't always seem reasonable.

agreed, the Bills aren't always reasonable. But teams don't like to sign their picks- or even make offers- until the players drafted around them have signed with their respective teams. It's just the way it works. Considering Orakpo was close to Maybin in the draft and just signed in the last day or so, it's not unreasonable to think the Bills haven't made an offer yet.

Bulldog
07-31-2009, 02:43 PM
Do I know? no, but first round picks in Maybin's range are just starting to sign, so it's not unreasonable to think that the Bills haven't made him an offer.

In addition, the original poster said the ball was in Maybin's court without any proof that the Bills made him an offer. I don't know why you're singling me out when his conjecture is as bad- if not worse- than mine.

Friggin' A, I was defending a draft pick that I don't even like and I'm still getting called out. WTF do you people want from me?

I'm having a hard time beleiving the Bills haven't made him an offer yet. To lay the blame at the feet of the front office at this point is crazy. And by no means am I saying Maybin is in the wrong either. I think it has more the crap system the NFL has than anything. That and agents who want to make a name for themselves by trying to land unrealistic deals.

OpIv37
07-31-2009, 02:48 PM
I'm having a hard time beleiving the Bills haven't made him an offer yet. To lay the blame at the feet of the front office at this point is crazy. And by no means am I saying Maybin is in the wrong either. I think it has more the crap system the NFL has than anything. That and agents who want to make a name for themselves by trying to land unrealistic deals.

I agree- it's a crap system. But due to the crap system, it's entirely possible that the Bills haven't made him an offer. And that's not entirely a knock on the FO- they are somewhat bound by the aforementioned crap system. I just have a hard time seeing how the ball is in Maybin's court at this point. We have no idea what the status of the contract is- if the Bills have made him an offer, if he's declined or made a counter-offer, etc- so I don't understand how anyone can say that the ball is in Maybin's court without that information.

Bulldog
07-31-2009, 02:49 PM
I agree- it's a crap system. But due to the crap system, it's entirely possible that the Bills haven't made him an offer. And that's not entirely a knock on the FO- they are somewhat bound by the aforementioned crap system. I just have a hard time seeing how the ball is in Maybin's court at this point. We have no idea what the status of the contract is- if the Bills have made him an offer, if he's declined or made a counter-offer, etc- so I don't understand how anyone can say that the ball is in Maybin's court without that information.

And I agree with you on that point.

jamze132
07-31-2009, 03:46 PM
Maybin should not ever be in Bills camp because we never hould have drafted him. Go ahead and bump this thread 3 years from now.

ddaryl
07-31-2009, 03:50 PM
Maybin should not ever be in Bills camp because we never hould have drafted him. Go ahead and bump this thread 3 years from now.

The draft is over and he is a Bill at least have the decency to put that behind you and give the guy a chance.. he's going ot be here for 5 years you better hope your wrong instead of wanting to be right :handball:

Mahdi
07-31-2009, 03:53 PM
Who does your crystal ball say we should have drafted?

jamze132
07-31-2009, 04:06 PM
The draft is over and he is a Bill at least have the decency to put that behind you and give the guy a chance.. he's going ot be here for 5 years you better hope your wrong instead of wanting to be right :handball:
Well **** man, I hope I'm wrong too. I would love nothing more than to eat som ****ing crow for breakfast. :brilliant:

jamze132
07-31-2009, 04:08 PM
Who does your crystal ball say we should have drafted?
It's hard to say but I sure as hell would have tried real hard to trade down. But if I was stuck, I would have taken Orakpo.

yordad
07-31-2009, 04:18 PM
agreed, the Bills aren't always reasonable. But teams don't like to sign their picks- or even make offers- until the players drafted around them have signed with their respective teams. It's just the way it works. Considering Orakpo was close to Maybin in the draft and just signed in the last day or so, it's not unreasonable to think the Bills haven't made an offer yet.Then why wouldn't the Skins have waited until the Bills signed Maybin?

At every pool party, someone has to jump in the pool first.

yordad
07-31-2009, 04:20 PM
I wanted Orakpo too, and I really hope I was wrong.

Either way, I ain't mad at Maybin or the Bills. These things happen.

Typ0
07-31-2009, 04:51 PM
op where do you come up with this stuff. Maybe they made him an offer and they haven't come to terms yet.

OpIv37
07-31-2009, 08:04 PM
op where do you come up with this stuff. Maybe they made him an offer and they haven't come to terms yet.

where do I come up with this stuff? You can't be serious. EVERY year teams hold back on making offers until they see what other draft picks are getting. No one close to Maybin signed until yesterday. It's no big secret that the Bills are careful about how they spend money.

I really don't see why anyone would be shocked that they haven't made him an offer yet. That's just how the system works. Yes, it's conjecture because we don't know the status, but it's reasonable conjecture given how business gets done with first-round draft picks in the NFL.

The Juice Is Loose
08-01-2009, 01:33 AM
IDK if I was him I'd do this:

"Hey agent, get on the phone and get me f'n signed! Today!"

If Orakpo signed two days ago there's no excuse. Buffalo has every pick signed but him, so I'm sure they've done their due effort.

I hate Maybin strictly because he comes off as insanely arrogant to me. I think he's going to be a bust, yes, but I wouldn't hold that against someone personally.

Mark Sanchez is signed. Matt Stafford is signed. The agent works for the player. He could be signed if he wanted to. But he'd rather do his own excercises for 2 hours a day and then post on twitter about it 50 times.

Not that anybody in the universe reported it but he posted some thing denying he was dating Kim Kardashian. Maybin, your Aaron Maybin, undersized one year wonder from the most boring college on earth. Kardashian is with Bush, a superstar from the coolest college on earth.

He just thinks he's a celebrity which pisses me off. He's a cocky douche and he's headed for bustville. He could be signed if he wanted to be.

Tinboy
08-01-2009, 04:18 AM
I rather wait a day or two extra and get a good contract then have a hold out next year.

tampabay25690
08-01-2009, 07:18 AM

It has nothing to do with MAYBIN what part don't you understand.....
His agent will tell him when it is time to sign the dotted line..

Typ0
08-01-2009, 07:36 AM
and some [idiots] think there is no negotiating going on until the top draft pick is signed and then the next and so on.

Historian
08-01-2009, 07:56 AM
Traditionally, the Bills get the rookie deals done in a reasonable time.

It's the second contract the Bills drag their heels on.

The Juice Is Loose
08-01-2009, 08:48 AM
It has nothing to do with MAYBIN what part don't you understand.....
His agent will tell him when it is time to sign the dotted line..

THE AGENT WORKS FOR THE PLAYER

EricStratton
08-01-2009, 09:53 AM

They do but that doesn't start actually happening until the player has some experience in th eleague with contracts.

This is Maybins first dealings with an agent (he didn't go to USC after all) so in te case of rookies they traditionally do what the agent tells them to do.

The Juice Is Loose
08-01-2009, 10:04 AM
there are 16 first round picks signed

Typ0
08-01-2009, 10:06 AM

and the college kid player hires the agent because making those deals is not his area of business. So you hire someone to do a job and you let them do it.

EricStratton
08-01-2009, 10:13 AM
I'll be suprised if the agent allows him to sign before either Crabtree or Moreno.

Nighthawk
08-01-2009, 10:29 AM

:ignore:

OpIv37
08-01-2009, 02:11 PM
and some [idiots] think there is no negotiating going on until the top draft pick is signed and then the next and so on.

negotiation is NOT the same as a contract offer.

Akhippo
08-01-2009, 06:28 PM
At this point in time, Maybin should be signed. Orakpo is signed, all of our other picks are signed. That means the FO has sole focus and parameters. Maybin has to authority to influence the agent. So both sides should be pushing towards the middle to have him here now. It shouldnt be out of the question for Maybin to be near camp ready to hit the ground running either.

We have a preseason game coming up and if you were a rookie, you figure that you would want to totally immerse yourself. Wood set the bar to high I guess.

TigerJ
08-01-2009, 06:51 PM
My understanding is that Maybin's agent has a reputation for being very patient. That said, the actual dollar amount of Maybin's contract is probably not that much of an issue in because: A. the slotting has begun and he's not going to get a whole lot more than Orakpo and B. The rookie salary pool has been established for Buffalo, and with everyone else signed, they know exactly how many dollars are available.

Hence the negotiating sessions between the Bills and Maybin's agent are about: A. the percentage of guaranteed money, and B. the length of the contract.

The Bills will argue for less guaranteed money and a longer contract. Maybin's agent will argue for more guaranteed money and a shorter contract. Fairly simple really.

lmcshadow
08-01-2009, 08:03 PM
IDK if I was him I'd do this:

"Hey agent, get on the phone and get me f'n signed! Today!"

If Orakpo signed two days ago there's no excuse. Buffalo has every pick signed but him, so I'm sure they've done their due effort.

I hate Maybin strictly because he comes off as insanely arrogant to me. I think he's going to be a bust, yes, but I wouldn't hold that against someone personally.

Mark Sanchez is signed. Matt Stafford is signed. The agent works for the player. He could be signed if he wanted to. But he'd rather do his own excercises for 2 hours a day and then post on twitter about it 50 times.

Not that anybody in the universe reported it but he posted some thing denying he was dating Kim Kardashian. Maybin, your Aaron Maybin, undersized one year wonder from the most boring college on earth. Kardashian is with Bush, a superstar from the coolest college on earth.

He just thinks he's a celebrity which pisses me off. He's a cocky douche and he's headed for bustville. He could be signed if he wanted to be.
sounds like jealousy to me..or Maybin PEN** envy....:funny:

LtFinFan66
08-01-2009, 08:41 PM
All the Fins picks are signed and will be in camp when it starts tomorrow:up:

Typ0
08-01-2009, 09:14 PM
negotiation is NOT the same as a contract offer.

the minute negotiations indicate an agreement can be reached there is a contract. Are you saying the organization should just throw contract offers at the hiree? That's how a lot of job's are negotiated. It's much more likely the incoming party is denying the contracts because it's their only leverage.

LtFinFan66
08-01-2009, 10:15 PM
Maybin last AFC East rookie unaccounted for (http://myespn.go.com/blogs/afceast/0-9-97/Maybin-last-AFC-East-rookie-unaccounted-for.html) http://assets.espn.go.com/profile/i/trans/icon_report_hi.gif (http://myespn.go.com/profile/violation?ou=afceastadmin&at=7&vid=1249170167430)
August 1, 2009 7:42 PM
Posted by ESPN.com's Tim Graham
The Buffalo Bills (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/clubhouse?team=buf) have the AFC East's last meaningful rookie contract to hammer out.
The Miami Dolphins (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/clubhouse?team=mia) reportedly have reached terms with their final three unsigned draft picks, making sure everybody will be on the field when training camp opens Sunday in Davie, Fla.
The Dolphins have reached agreements with quarterback Pat White (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/players/profile?playerId=12485) (second round) and Chris Clemons (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/players/profile?playerId=12645) (fifth round). The club announced it signed cornerback Vontae Davis (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/players/profile?playerId=12424), the 25th overall pick.
http://myespn.go.com/blogs/afceast/0-9-97/Maybin-last-AFC-East-rookie-unaccounted-for.html

Meathead
08-02-2009, 04:20 PM
I was defending a draft pick that I don't even like and I'm still getting called out. WTF do you people want from me?
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_NF7xwXt5JvU/SWbjl8mWihI/AAAAAAAABTw/-Q2uPFQ0Cx4/s320/jump_off_cliff.jpg