PDA

View Full Version : D. Florence has taken 1st team nickel reps 3 straight days

yordad
07-31-2009, 08:16 PM
D. Florence has taken 1st team nickel reps 3 straight days. It's early, but it appears he may be ahead of Corner and Youboty for the position right now.

Wowser! That is a really good problem to have. Youboty was awesome when he was on the field last year. The dude might only be the Bills 5th best CB. Talk about depth!

:gobills:

Lexwhat
07-31-2009, 10:12 PM
Hate to be a pessimist here, but Florence makes way too much money ($6.6 million over 2 years) to be a Nickel/Dime CB.

And from what I have read, I thought Reggie Corner was the front-runner for Nickel CB?

yordad
07-31-2009, 11:36 PM
Hate to be a pessimist here, but Florence makes way too much money ($6.6 million over 2 years) to be a Nickel/Dime CB.

And from what I have read, I thought Reggie Corner was the front-runner for Nickel CB?I guess Corner was, at one point. Strange they would pay him that much. Florence isn't likely to bump McGee or Mckelvin. Maybe they were looking to the future a year with tat one.

Jeff1220
08-01-2009, 07:56 AM
I'm one who thinks the Bills secondary could be a dominant unit this year - especially if QB pressure improves.

OpIv37
08-01-2009, 02:30 PM
I'm one who thinks the Bills secondary could be a dominant unit this year - especially if QB pressure improves.

I don't think so- we're still hurting at S. Whitner is... well, Whitner. Simpson sucks, Wilson is a back-up and Byrd won't be ready after missing mini camps and the start of training camp. I like our CB's a lot but I just don't see dominance from these S's.

RamblingMisnomer
08-01-2009, 04:19 PM
I wouldn't read much into Florence getting a lot of reps in TC early. He is new to this scheme coming from a 3-4 and he is the 3rd highest paid CB so Im sure they want to make sure he gets plenty of reps to ensure they get something out of their investment.

Scumbag College
08-01-2009, 04:25 PM
I don't think so- we're still hurting at S. Whitner is... well, Whitner. Simpson sucks, Wilson is a back-up and Byrd won't be ready after missing mini camps and the start of training camp. I like our CB's a lot but I just don't see dominance from these S's.

I agree about most of this post, but i do think that improvements at CB can really spill over to opportunities for INTs from safeties, as average as the Bills' safeties are.

The real wildcard is the pass rush from the DE spot. If Maybin can contribute there and if Schobel can get back to where he was before the injury, then that can cause problems with sacks and turnovers for the opposition, especially on third and long.

BillsWin
08-01-2009, 04:34 PM
Like I said in another thread. The reason why Bills fans are not getting nervous that T.O and Lee have been torching our DBs is that we all know that McGee and Leodis are the real deal. We know that Corner can play, and the Florence is starting Calibur. We also like Youboty and are deep in the defensive backfield. Plus, Lee Evans is one of the best WRs ever to play his career out in Buffalo and TO is a future Hall of Famer.

Plus, playing against the best in practice will make them better in the long run.

Its hard to cover TO or Lee one on one, and Ive heard that Trent is throwing perfect deep balls right into their hands.

At least the defense seems to be improving.

I like Florence. Good depth.

Canadian'eh!
08-05-2009, 06:55 AM

And from what I have read, I thought Reggie Corner was the front-runner for Nickel CB?

Well, Florence was SIGNED to compete as the Nikel. They never thought he would be replacing McGee or McKelvin as a starter I would think.

So I'm not sure how his very reasonable contract makes him overpaid to play a very important position in todays NFL... you need 3 starting CB's with the way passing attacks are now.

Florence is overpaid if he DOENS"T win the Nikel role. In which case I don't think he actually makes the team.

If one of the Mc's gets hurt, don't be surprised to see Corner starting with Florence staying at Nikel. Where is he far better suited anyway, and Corner has more atheleticism to be the top backup at CB and groomed to eventually start fulltime.

jamze132
08-05-2009, 07:01 AM
Florence is a prime example of OBD having to overpay to bring someone in.