PDA

View Full Version : contract issues

Billsouth
08-02-2009, 09:28 PM
i have no inside infor on the maybin contract situation but wonder why is it that anytime there is a delay in signing a draft pick that it is always the player's fault. while i love the bills i do believe that it is just as likely that they have been slow in getting to where they need to be (numbers and years) to get the deal done. the fact that we did not sign any of our 1st or 2nd rounders until after camp started seems to indicate that at least some of the blame falls on the front office.

Goobylal
08-02-2009, 09:31 PM
Um, no. The Bills started camp earlier than any other team, because of the (extra) preseason (HOF) game this coming weekend. That already put them behind the 8-ball. Then there has been a delay in the top-15 contract because of Michael Crabtree. Since Maybin's agent likes/wants to see what Crabtree gets, so that he can tell the Bills to give him closer to that number, the contract is getting held-up. Expect it to take awhile because I don't see the Bills giving Maybin numbers close to what Crabtree is looking for.

Billsouth
08-02-2009, 09:37 PM
the entire concept of waiting to see what the pick before u gets is a myth. many first round picks signed before the pick before and after them signed. the basic framework that is used is the pick from the year before. we knew we started before any other team (except the titans) long before the draft. the number 1 pick and sanchez were signed long time ago. while i understand there is some need to wait we cannot automatically assign the blame on the player and assume he is lazy and does not want to be in camp.

Goobylal
08-02-2009, 10:01 PM
the entire concept of waiting to see what the pick before u gets is a myth. many first round picks signed before the pick before and after them signed. the basic framework that is used is the pick from the year before. we knew we started before any other team (except the titans) long before the draft. the number 1 pick and sanchez were signed long time ago. while i understand there is some need to wait we cannot automatically assign the blame on the player and assume he is lazy and does not want to be in camp.
For starters, Stafford and Sanchez are QB's and their (QB's) pay is out-of-line with other slotted players (look at what Josh Freeman got from the Bucs, compared to what the pick before him, Larry English, got). Moreover, everyone thinks both teams overpaid, especially the Jets, and as a result, the Raiders had to sorely overpay for Darius Heyward Bey.

Maybin's agent, Joel Segal, has a history of waiting until the guys around his clients have signed, and in Maybin's case, neither have signed, and Crabtree wants top-3 money. Segal, like any good agent, will wait until Crabtree signs, so that he can present that offer to the Bills and say "we want slightly less than that amount." To which the Bills will likely say "take a hike."

OpIv37
08-02-2009, 10:10 PM
Honestly, who knows? The players are basically controlled by scumbag agents trying to squeeze every last dollar out of the team. As for the Bills' FO, well, their record speaks for itself. We don't have any inside info so either one- or both- could be the problem at this point. There's no way to know.

Goobylal
08-02-2009, 10:37 PM
Honestly, who knows? The players are basically controlled by scumbag agents trying to squeeze every last dollar out of the team. As for the Bills' FO, well, their record speaks for itself. We don't have any inside info so either one- or both- could be the problem at this point. There's no way to know.
The Bills' track record with signing their picks is that they get into camp at worst a couple days late. Not 2-3 weeks late. This is purely from Maybin's side.

BillsWin
08-03-2009, 01:19 AM
with rookie contracts, the player's hands are usually tied for the most part. Aside from telling the agent, sign the next deal they give me no matter the money, there isnt much say they have. The agents tend to wait for other players around their client to sign before they make a push to get signed themselves. We can sit around here an point fingers at Maybin all we want, but in truth it isnt all his fault. Relax though, it isnt like it is a franchise QB holding out. Its a situational pass rusher.

jamze132
08-03-2009, 06:12 AM
Our pass rush is going to be flatlined with or without Maybin...

Typ0
08-03-2009, 07:21 AM

but the league isn't run by scumbag owners trying to squeeze every last dollar out of poor working people and wanting to keep it all for themselves.

Night Train
08-03-2009, 07:35 AM
8,9,10,11(Maybin) & 12 are not signed.

They're all slotted and someone needs to sign so the rest will fall like domino's.

Hemlepp53
08-03-2009, 07:52 AM
Again as i have stated in the past the players are listening to their team (Agent, and finicial planners) who they have assembeled to guide them through this process. Our most important picks have signed so far. I am more concerned with the new additions to the o-line getting to camp. Maybin will fall in place as soon as a starting market is set for the 1st round DLinemen. I think he will produce for us but he needs as much time as possible to get things down and put them to use.

ddaryl
08-03-2009, 08:02 AM
8,9,10,11(Maybin) & 12 are not signed.

They're all slotted and someone needs to sign so the rest will fall like domino's.

this is the real issue... until the slots surrounding Maybin are filled in there isn't going to be a signing IMO...

The Bills will wait they won't be the ones to offer a contract and start the dominoe affect.. unfortunately

Marvelous
08-04-2009, 01:19 AM
While i love the bills i do believe that it is just as likely that they have been slow in getting to where they need to be (numbers and years) to get the deal done. the fact that we did not sign any of our 1st or 2nd rounders until after camp started seems to indicate that at least some of the blame falls on the front office.

:clap:
You got it bro.. The Bills aren't the cheapest team in the league or close to it.. BUT, it's a freaking fact that we aren't very into signing expensive players. Our draftees leave The Ralph & OBD no choice, but it seems to drag & if ya listen closely, you can almost hear the rumblings.. :lol:
--Also, for the record- IMO--it's still early w/ the 11th pick Maybin's contract.. Doesn't seem unusual. would be nice to have er done, but how often does that happen in todays money games..

-I could throw together 4-5 quick negs about Jason Peters and even 5 more about how his team of advisers,him,agent,family ETC dropped the ball.. BUT, it's a hard fact that the Bills FO/OBD shoulda, YES! Should have paid him last offseason or maybe the one before..
--TWO offseasons ago Peters was a obvious star & a superstar LT. LEFT! LT! So, if he was top 5 or hell, even top 7 at his position & his position is one of the top 3 HIGHEST PAID POSITIONS IN THE LEAGUE.. Well why ddin't we pay him what he was worth before the situation escalated..
--On the flipside in the teams/OBD defense, Eric Moulds, my former fav player, handled his contract situation 100% the wrong way & even said he wanted to play for a winner. & signed with the team with the #1 pick in the draft. :wtf: So kudos to the FO for that situation, but i/we know that The Ralph is cautios with his money. I do believe that The Ralph would spend lots if he could guarantee playoffs, but since that's not guaranteed...

---Mike WIlliams- The Texas tackle. #4 overall pick--When did we get him signed? Now that was a tough contract & dmn-near almost gave Tom Donahoe a stroke form the stress of it...

---I love the Ralph, but he needs to put trust into some up&coming super talented business minded president. i dunno :shrug:

Typ0
08-04-2009, 09:08 AM
The Bills have a long time losing history aligned with Ownership. Sure, they have spent and gotten lucky with the right players a couple times but as a whole this is consistently a losing franchise that has had a few good players at a time to maintain interest. They just never get over the hump because RW isnt' willing to pay the price to do that.

Raptor
08-04-2009, 12:18 PM
Bills are at least half at fault