PDA

View Full Version : Cold Weather Super Bowl?

imbondz
05-21-2003, 11:50 AM
I didn't search the archives, this may have been already discussed, but I'm on dial-up, and I don't have the patience.

The Washington Post (http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A15742-2003May20.html) is reporting that Washington D.C. and New York City have made the final four cities competing to host the 2008 Super Bowl.

My pick for a Super Bowl site, regardless of the parties, Rich Stadium or Lambeau Field. The SuperBowl in snow. Or rain. We need Football Weather, not wuss weather.

Turf
05-21-2003, 12:14 PM
Huge huge mistake for a northern Super Bowl in an outdoor stadium.
Do you remember this past winter when the Super Bowl was on, it must have been -5 degrees here in NYS with wind. There is no freakin way that would be a good Super Bowl. I say keep all the games in the warm weather or indoors. There could be no halftime show, it would really suck IMO.

The Natrix
05-21-2003, 12:20 PM
yeah, the only time Arctic temps are good is during the regular season or playoffs, because of the advantage for the home team.

What if it is TB vs Jacksonville at The Ralph. Absurd.

THATHURMANATOR
05-21-2003, 12:25 PM
I don't think it would be a good idea either. Imagine if it was here and the weather was like the Miami game last year! I personally would love it but I doubt if most of America would!

imbondz
05-21-2003, 12:28 PM
Originally posted by Travis Hunter
Huge huge mistake for a northern Super Bowl in an outdoor stadium.
Do you remember this past winter when the Super Bowl was on, it must have been -5 degrees here in NYS with wind. There is no freakin way that would be a good Super Bowl. I say keep all the games in the warm weather or indoors. There could be no halftime show, it would really suck IMO.

I disagree. there's nothing better than watching a playoff game played in the snow. there's been so many classic games due to the weather. I think this San-Diego/Tampa/Atlanta rotation blows. And who cares about a half-time show. I'd love for the NFL to have the balls to try it. If it doesn't work, go back to domes.

The Natrix
05-21-2003, 12:34 PM
Imbondz, aren't you sick of the winter come late Jan (or early Feb a couple years back)? I like the winter a lot. I enjoy skiing and would probably never move too far South, but enough is enough. I am sure 97.5% of the players agree with me.

Earthquake Enyart
05-21-2003, 12:43 PM
Super Bowl at all new Soldier Field. :up:

Pride
05-21-2003, 12:47 PM
Super Bowls in the North are a great idea. As far as a half time show goes, do it in a hockey arena in the city you are having the SB in, and make it a free concert, but televise it live on TV.

No big deal.

How sweet would it be? SB at the Ralph, Bills vs. Cowgirls? LOL!!

The_Philster
05-21-2003, 03:49 PM
As far as DC and NYC, that was talked about because of the 9/11 attacks...help them out a little extra with the added income that a Super Bowl would provide for the regions. I'd personally love to see one in Buffalo or even in Soldier Field or Lambeau Field...where football tradition is rich. But I don't see it happening as Super Bowls aren't for the fans to attend, but for the corporate sponsors...and they don't have the toughness to sit outside in a blizzard like Bills fans do!!

WCoastFin
05-21-2003, 04:19 PM
I read somewhere that Miami will host the 2007 SuperBowl, not sure if this is true though.

TigerJ
05-21-2003, 08:32 PM
I could see perhaps the Meadowlands or DC as a Superbowl site. I don't really expect it will ever happen in a "real" northern city like Buffalo or Chicago unless it has a dome. The reason is that a lot of the tickets go to celebrities and corporate big shots who'd have a fit if they had to sit through a snow storm in subzero weather. The NFL is too smart to anger their customer base like that.

Lone Stranger
05-21-2003, 09:16 PM
Neither DC nor NYC are acceptable sites since they don't have a dome. Minneapolis was OK for that reason plus they had wonderful interconnected walkways between buildings which do not exist in the aforementioned cities. In addition to that the whole Minn-ST.Paul area was totally devoted to the game. Not going to be that way in the other places.