PDA

View Full Version : Why the Lynch suspension will help the team

northernbillfan
08-06-2009, 08:42 AM
I think Marshawn's suspension will help be a better player. It may even help him be a better person and learn not to hang with the thugs he grew up with.

One thing that hangs over Lynch's head is his ability to be a solid back for a complete season and maintain his style of running over 16 games. With this suspension he has the first three weeks off so he will be strong at the finish of the season.

I know it doesn't answer the question "Can he play a full season?" but it makes the BIlls stronger in the later part of the season where they usually fall apart.

That's my two cents.

trapezeus
08-06-2009, 08:47 AM
i agree with that. i think with him fresh from three weeks off and hopefully playing against a marginally dinged dolphins team, he might pick up yards faster and easier. it could make lasting the season even easier.

Also if rhodes isn't a totally washed up back, he'll get some time in there and the 1-2 rotation will get ML off the field for a few more plays without sacrificing too much.

Mr. Pink
08-06-2009, 09:25 AM
I agree it helps the team, it gets the better player on the field...at least for 3 games.

Too bad this team likely won't go all 16 with the better player.

madness
08-06-2009, 10:27 AM
Not a :goodpost:

The Juice Is Loose
08-06-2009, 10:28 AM
I agree it helps the team, it gets the better player on the field...at least for 3 games.

Too bad this team likely won't go all 16 with the better player.

Your high.

Prov401
08-06-2009, 10:35 AM
Your high.

I second this...

madness
08-06-2009, 10:38 AM
I saw that, DB. You can't hide!

psubills62
08-06-2009, 10:47 AM
Lynch's suspension has a couple of positive things about it:

1) it gets Fred Jackson in against the team he ran over at the end of last year. I didn't see the game, but it amazes me how many yards Jackson got when New England KNEW we would be running the ball. I'm really hoping they stick with Freddie in the opener too.

2) Lynch is fresh for Weeks 4-6 which are: @MIA, CLE, @NYJ. I think having Lynch motivated and itching to bust butts for those first few weeks will be key.

Jaybird
08-06-2009, 10:49 AM
I would much prefer having him play week 1... this is not a good thing!!!

northernbillfan
08-06-2009, 11:23 AM
I would much prefer having him play week 1... this is not a good thing!!!I know it's not a good thing. I'm just looking at teh poisitives.

Bruce is Loose
08-06-2009, 11:26 AM
I think that we have some other players who have had some injurys and are important to this team...
We should probably sit Trent and Stroud the first three weeks as well since that increases the chances of going the rest of the full season for them too... that would make our team better.

Who needs a chance of winning in the first three weeks anyway?

Mr. Pink
08-06-2009, 12:11 PM
Someone prove to me, use facts, that supports Marshawn is a better football player than Fred Jackson...and no saying I'm high doesn't count.

Fred stays on the field, doesn't get hurt, doesn't get suspended.

Fred has a higher career yards per carry.

Fred has more catches, more yards, higher average.

Fred is a better blocker.

Fred can return punts in a pinch.

Fred sees the hole and goes to it. Meanwhile Marshawn runs to contact either by choice or poor field vision. Both aren't easy to bring down.

So, where exactly is Marshawn better than Fred?

Hemlepp53
08-06-2009, 12:18 PM
Someone prove to me, use facts, that supports Marshawn is a better football player than Fred Jackson...and no saying I'm high doesn't count.

Fred sees the hole and goes to it. Meanwhile Marshawn runs to contact either by choice or poor field vision. Both aren't easy to bring down.

WE dont need our starting back to be a punt returner so that is pointless to mention. 2nd and 3rd strings return kicks. If you take the ammount of carries and passes caught by Lynch vs. Jackson do Jackson's numbers still look as sexy???

Mr. Pink
08-06-2009, 12:44 PM
WE dont need our starting back to be a punt returner so that is pointless to mention. 2nd and 3rd strings return kicks. If you take the ammount of carries and passes caught by Lynch vs. Jackson do Jackson's numbers still look as sexy???

So just because you're higher on the depth chart it automatically makes you better?
Is that what you are trying to convey?

There's been plenty of backups who are just as good, Michael Turner in SD, or better, Priest Holmes backup to Erric Rhett and 4th string RB as a rookie in Baltimore.

The franchise has much more invested in Lynch than they do Jackson, so economics says Lynch is the starter. Kinda like we stuck with Losman, stupidly, for how long? And no I'm not comparing talent of the two, I'm using the example when you're drafted higher a franchise has to put you on the field to justify the pick.

Stat wise...of course Lynch has the advantage, he has more field time. Funny part? Jackson still has more receiving yards on less catches.

And you're right about the PR aspect, that really doesn't matter except to show Fred is a more complete player.

Fact of the matter is, thus far, Lynch is no better than this list of RBs we've had since OJ. Cribbs, Bell, Thomas, Smith, Henry, McGahee. We've had spot starters in between but those are the main workhouse backs between OJ and today.

northernbillfan
08-07-2009, 08:26 AM
So just because you're higher on the depth chart it automatically makes you better?
Is that what you are trying to convey?

There's been plenty of backups who are just as good, Michael Turner in SD, or better, Priest Holmes backup to Erric Rhett and 4th string RB as a rookie in Baltimore.Well said.

Fact of the matter is, thus far, Lynch is no better than this list of RBs we've had since OJ. Cribbs, Bell, Thomas, Smith, Henry, McGahee. We've had spot starters in between but those are the main workhouse backs between OJ and todayI think he's much better than McGahee.

madness
08-07-2009, 09:21 AM

Good point. Having to carry the ball only 342 less times does does wonders for the body.
I could only imagine Fred would have no problem keeping that number if he carried the ball...say...342 more times.
Good thing we wouldn't have to subtract #'s for the times Lynch was on the field selling the run. (Yes, Fred is the better receiver... mark one down for him!)
Yes, Fred has been in the league a lot longer than 2 years to perfect his blocking technique.
How could this not make someone the better running back? I heard Marshawn has been practicing long snapping to help his ypc.
Little known facts about #23: Marshawn runs with his eyes close to make his learning curve a little more challenging. Why learn to see running/cutback lanes when you feel them? He also spends times a gay dance clubs to learn to avoid contact.

Ball security, scoring, inside the 20, 2nd half, home games... not that any of those matter in a game.

northernbillfan
08-07-2009, 11:14 AM
Fred is a better blocker because that's his job. He is a blocking back!

Lynch doesn't run into contact. The teams he is running against have some knowledge about the game as well and know how to cover him better. I would say the coverage goes to Lynch.