Can we please stop with thinking that Trent Edwards is good.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Pecan
    • Nov 2008

Can we please stop with thinking that Trent Edwards is good.

Look, I understand that this is "only" his third year but i'm sick of this content that we as fans have with him. I know we as fans really havent had anything substantial in terms of quarterbacks since Jim Kelly retired but we cant just jump on to this guy with out him really proving anything. I'm aware that everyone likes how he is so politically correct and non-confrontational and how he stuck up for his coach when the fans and media were thirsty for Jauron's blood but when it comes to on the field he just isn't impressing me.

JaMarcus Russell, Kyle Orton, Jason Campbell and Matt Schaub are quarterbacks that are roughly the same in regards to experience and team strength and they all had better numbers than Trent Edwards.

People want to harp on the idea that he is filled with tremendous "potential" and "upside" , while this may someday be true but from what i've seen from him ( The terrible cold weather games, the complete break downs in big games and the amount of checking down) I just don't think he is the right quarterback for our Buffalo Bills.
  • ServoBillieves
    The Voice of Reason
    • Jul 2007

Re: Can we please stop with thinking that Trent Edwards is good.

Epic fail.
    Bye Bye Brady...

Comment

• The Spaz
      • Mar 2003

Make me a pie *****.

Comment

• SABURZFAN
        short bus extraordinaire
        • Jul 2002

i think most fans feel that the jury is still out on Edwards. just because a couple people say Edwards is good, it doesn't mean EVERYBODY thinks that.
        Originally posted by yordad
        Christ, you are the queerest person in the history of Bills fanhood. I swear to god I would stomp you.

Comment

• northernbillfan
          Hello, I'm Mike and I'm a Bills fan.

Administrator Emeritus
          • Jul 2002

It's hard to be so critical of a QBs numbers with the O-line the Bills have had over the past few years.
          When I die, please don't let my wife sell my camera equipment for what I told her I paid for it.

Comment

• trapezeus
            Legendary Zoner
            • Oct 2004

yet, Edwards seems to have a better win loss record than those other QB's. He actually makes decisions. and based on the last guy, that's a real novel concept here in buffalo. So i'm willing to let the guy come into his own this year. if he regresses, its back to the chalk board.

but the guy is jonesing for a new contract this year. The team wants him to play well this year, they've given him some tools. if the offense can start humming early, perhaps they can compensate for a weak to really awful defense.

Comment

• Jan Reimers
              Thank You, Terry and Kim, for Saving the Bills. Now, Work on the Sabres.
              • May 2003

Originally posted by SABURZFAN
              i think most fans feel that the jury is still out on Edwards. just because a couple people say Edwards is good, it doesn't mean EVERYBODY thinks that.
              Exactly right. And the notion that 4 year guys Orton and Campbell, (and JaMarcus Russell, the only guy comparable to Trent in years in the league with 2) are better, is questionable. Russell and Orton have lower QB ratings, and Campbell's is only fractionally higher. Schaub is a 5 year guy who had three years to watch and mature before starting for two years. Is he really comparable to Trent, a 2 year guy who was thrown into the fray, almost immediately, as a rookie?
              Should have known, way back in 1960 when we drafted Richie Lucas Number 1, that this would be a long, hard ride. But who could have known it would be THIS bad?

Comment

• Pecan
                • Nov 2008

Im not trying insult anyone by saying this it is just my oppinion that we are settling. To put it in analogy form; its kinda like (the bills) could never get a girlfriend but all of a sudden a frumpy girl with a uni-brow and a weird growth on her neck came along and we want to marry her. Sure its better than nothing but why do we settle when we can put in the work and get a super model.....just doesnt make sense to me.

Comment

• SABURZFAN
                  short bus extraordinaire
                  • Jul 2002

Originally posted by Pecan
                  To put it in analogy form; its kinda like (the bills) could never get a girlfriend but all of a sudden a frumpy girl with a uni-brow and a weird growth on her neck came along and we want to marry her.

that would be the booze that's talking.
                  Christ, you are the queerest person in the history of Bills fanhood. I swear to god I would stomp you.

Comment

• Jan Reimers
                    Thank You, Terry and Kim, for Saving the Bills. Now, Work on the Sabres.
                    • May 2003

Im not trying insult anyone by saying this it is just my oppinion that we are settling. To put it in analogy form; its kinda like (the bills) could never get a girlfriend but all of a sudden a frumpy girl with a uni-brow and a weird growth on her neck came along and we want to marry her. Sure its better than nothing but why do we settle when we can put in the work and get a super model.....just doesnt make sense to me.
                    Trent is only going into his 3rd year, and was probably thrust into action before he was ready. But he was a super model coming out of high school, a super model in the eyes of Bill Walsh, and has played respectably in his short tenure with the Bills. It might be that experience and better offensive weapons will remove that growth, pluck that unibrow, and turn a frump into a stately runway beauty.

I think he's at least worthy of another year to see how he develops.
                    Should have known, way back in 1960 when we drafted Richie Lucas Number 1, that this would be a long, hard ride. But who could have known it would be THIS bad?

Comment

• trapezeus
                      Legendary Zoner
                      • Oct 2004

but he isn't the unibrow girl. no one can tell. it's like our 3rd date this year. this is where you'll find out if you want to get into something long term or if it was just a mistake. If you are confident that he's the ugly chick, then you are probably the guy who never finds anyone because no one is good enough.

the knock on edwards of being bad in bad weather has little merit. the games quoted are often the browns game of two years ago and last year's pats game. these were awful for both QB's. They were their own unique storms. HE seemed to play well in the giants game that they botched two years ago during the first half. that was a bad weather game. Even last year's season opener was no picnic and he performed well.

True his durability is a big question mark. This year he'll have to step up.

The check down critique always goes one way for him, but if nothing is open longer, than what are you throwing the ball long for? just to make some billszone fans happy that you can throw long? You take your shots and he is incredibly accurate in that 10-20 yard range where most plays happen.

Comment

• yordad
                        • Dec 2007

Can we still hope? Or should we stop that too?
                        "Heck, now I am glad his overrated arce made the pro bowl, else we would have only got a 3rd." ~ yordad

"I've just been hit with a piece of sky. " ~ yordad

"Forgive my opinion, but...." ~ yordad

"Warning: I might be hammered." ~ yordad

"I don't care if the word is "your" or "you're", so buzz off. Its (it's) a frickin(') message board." ~ yordad

Comment

• Pecan
                          • Nov 2008

Can we still hope? Or should we stop that too?
                          Nope, not allowed.

You guys bring up good points, maybe im a little hasty to bail on him but i have a feeling we are going to have a new coach along with a new QB next year.

Comment

• justasportsfan
                            • Jul 2002

With all the weapons he's got now, Trent should easily do better than 11 ranked qb in the league . No excuses.
                            sacrifice1
                            https://theinterviewwithgod.com/video/

Comment

• Hemlepp53
                              • Jul 2004

Nope, not allowed.

You guys bring up good points, maybe im a little hasty to bail on him but i have a feeling we are going to have a new coach along with a new QB next year.
                              Pecan - couldnt agree more about the coaching staff being upgraded. We do need to look for improvement on the sidelines regardless where we end up this season in January.

Originally posted by justasportsfan
                              With all the weapons he's got now, Trent should easily do better than 11 ranked qb in the league . No excuses.
                              Justa - Correct. There is not a single reason why he shouldnt excel this year and prove to be a top QB in the league. The only thing that may hold him back early is the OLine but if they can get it together by week two he should have a run at it.
                              @Hemlepp53

Comment

Working...
                              X