• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • mysticsoto
    Too sober for this...
    • Apr 2004

Tidbits from Training Camp

I was going to write an article on my visit to Training Camp, but they only did what I considered a light workout and rather than fill the piece up with fluff, I decided to just post what I thought stood out.

First, I'll start with the pros:

- Well everyone has been saying it, but it's true. TO runs crisp routes, looks solid and catches pretty much anything thrown his way. He missed one catch which was a poorly thrown ball behind him. But doing exactly what he should, he still stuck his hand out to bat the ball down and make sure it didn't get intercepted. McGee thought he had an easy one and TO took it away from him.

- There were a few interceptions today, as the CBs were all over the receivers in tight coverage. While I liked it, in real games they give receivers so much space that interceptions seem to come far and few inbetween. Still, I'll give McGee and McKelvin credit for their interceptions regardless.

- I liked some of the drills that the DEs were doing in the far corner - practicing their swim moves by batting several pads out of the way and then having to run forward and dive on floor pads as though they were trying to trip up the QB or a RB in the backfield. Nice drills.

- Like TO, Steve Johnson caught virtually everything thrown his way also. I really like what I saw from this guy.

- Though I think Schouman outperformed him throughout the day, I like what I saw from Shane Nelson. He seemed to have a swagger about him and was not lost out there. For a rookie, he seemed to be doing well. I think he will develop to be a top notch TE for us.

- In the penetration drills between the Oline and Dline, I found one particular Oline player outstanding. I don't know how this will translate into actual playing, but he would latch and lock on to his player and stick with them. Not recognizing who he was I had to go look his number up. It was Jonathan Scott from the Practice Squad. I was shocked.

- Demetrious Bell and Stroud were talking for a long time together. They seemed very friendly with each other. If Stroud can give Bell any pointers that can help him, I'm all for it!!!

- April had them practicing alot of different onside kicks.

- The quarterbacks did some drills early where they had to roll out and throw on the run. Later, when playing 11 on 11, a situation presented itself where Fitzpatrick had to run from the pressure and throw on the run. He executed it flawlessly and completed a 15-20 yard pass b'cse of it.

- Props to Steve Johnson, Kirck Chambers and Trent Edwards for coming to sign autographs and even handing out items here and there like - their gloves, etc

Cons:

- At the top of my list was what I saw from our new Center Hangartner - he was owned several times in the drills for penetration of the line. I don't even remember who it was got through, but he was owned every time. Very disappointing.

- Walker, Wood and Bell all had both plus and minus moments in their blocking. Walker is still pretty big and I wonder if it might help him to lose a good 10 lbs or so to help speed him up at LT.

- Hamdan never seems to improve. I almost feel like we should draft a raw project kid next year that might need a few years but that might amount to something. Right now, it is apparent to me that Hamdan has shown us his best.

- There were alot of players on the sidelines while others practiced. I suppose Jauron was taking it light on them since they have a game Sunday, but I would have liked to see less downtime while on the field. It was beautiful weather and temperature was in the low to mid 70s...perfect for practice.

That's about all I remember right now. If I think of anything else, I'll post it later.
  • mybills
    81 st zoner
    • Jul 2002

Re: Tidbits from Training Camp

Thanks!
    I didn't come here to fight, I hate fighting. Life is way too short to spend it on fighting! Go fight with yourself, one of you will eventually win!

Comment

• capitolneal
      • Sep 2003

nice read

Comment

• DraftBoy
        Administrator
        • Jul 2002

How much time is Matt Baker getting at QB? Is he really even seeing any snaps?
        COMING SOON...
        Originally posted by Dr.Lecter
        We were both drunk and Hillary did not look that bad at 2 AM, I swear!!!!!!

Comment

• mysticsoto
          Too sober for this...
          • Apr 2004

Originally posted by DraftBoy
          How much time is Matt Baker getting at QB? Is he really even seeing any snaps?
          Actually, yesterday they gave each QB a chance to go down the field. In my opinion, Baker looked better than Hamdan...

Comment

• DraftBoy
            Administrator
            • Jul 2002

Originally posted by mysticsoto
            Actually, yesterday they gave each QB a chance to go down the field. In my opinion, Baker looked better than Hamdan...
            BAKER BALL!!!!

In all seriousness though I have heard almost nothing about Baker this TC as compared to last year when he was regularly in both Mikey's and CB camp reports, and with how bad Hamdan has looked so far, I was hoping he could make the team this year as opposed to just being on our PS. Hopefully he gets some good PT tomorrow. Maybe a whole quarter to show what he's got.
            COMING SOON...
            Originally posted by Dr.Lecter
            We were both drunk and Hillary did not look that bad at 2 AM, I swear!!!!!!

Comment

• mysticsoto
              Too sober for this...
              • Apr 2004

Took some pictures and am looking through them now. Looks like I got a good one of Hangartner getting owned:
              Attached Files

Comment

Working...
              X