PDA

View Full Version : I just met Scott Norwood....

OpIv37
08-08-2009, 01:19 AM
...in a bar in Pittsburgh, PA.

I saw a guy in a Bills shirt so I started talking to him. It turned out to be Jimmy, the owner of Jimmy's Old Town Tavern, which is a bar in Herndon, VA where the Northern VA Bills Backers hang out. He was on his way to the HOF ceremonies, and he introduced me to his friend, who happened to be Scott Norwood.

We talked briefly and I got a picture, then we ran into them again in a different bar later on. Scott is very down-to-earth and easy to talk to. He even showed us his watch from the '89 pro bowl.

Here's a pic with me, Scott, and Jimmy (in that order):

ServoBillieves
08-08-2009, 01:34 AM
Damn it, I live in Pittsburgh and missed the opportunity -_-.

Congrats meeting him Op, guy is a legend, either loved or hated in Bills history.

Buffalogic
08-08-2009, 03:14 AM
Wow what was your initial reaction when you realized it was really him? My eyes would have widened if I saw Scott Norwood in real life that's for sure.

Mr. Miyagi
08-08-2009, 03:54 AM
Damn the guy looks real old.

First thing out of my mouth would've been that my fantasy team name is Wide Righters lol.

Meathead
08-08-2009, 05:21 AM
nice to meet you mr norwide

realdealryan
08-08-2009, 05:49 AM
We talked briefly
http://careersi.files.wordpress.com/2009/05/elephany.jpg

"So......Scott.......ummm........about SB XXV............"

Jan Reimers
08-08-2009, 06:53 AM
One more time: Our loss in SB XXV was not Scott Norwood's fault.

mayotm
08-08-2009, 07:09 AM
One more time: Our loss in SB XXV was not Scott Norwood's fault.People act as though he missed a chip shot. He missed a 48 yarder. It would have been the longest kick on grass in his career.

Jan Reimers
08-08-2009, 07:16 AM
People act as though he missed a chip shot. He missed a 48 yarder. It would have been the longest kick on grass in his career.
And in the rain, after the Bills had been outcoached all game, dominated in time of possession, and failed to execute on a number of key plays.

mybills
08-08-2009, 07:59 AM
He was awesome all season long, too!

DynaPaul
08-08-2009, 08:02 AM
Man he looks fat and old. I know those Philly Cheesesteak sandwiches he was eating didn't go wide right. Guy must have had a tough life after that game though.

OpIv37
08-08-2009, 08:58 AM

That's kind of how it was.

I don't blame him for that game at all- that was an extremely tough kick and a lot of players made a lot of mistakes to get to that point. But at the same time, it's hard NOT to bring it up. I asked him about Bruce and we talked about Reed and Tasker not being in the Hall, about his Pro Bowl in 89 and talked a little about the current team, and I avoided the SBXXV stuff because I'm sure he's heard it a million times. But it wasn't easy.

OpIv37
08-08-2009, 09:00 AM

btw how'd you get a picture of Mike Williams, and where's his Redskins jersey?

Mr. Miyagi
08-08-2009, 10:26 AM
And in the rain, after the Bills had been outcoached all game, dominated in time of possession, and failed to execute on a number of key plays.
I'm with you. I don't hate on him. Just amusing that's all.

northernbillfan
08-08-2009, 11:06 AM
That's kind of how it was.

I don't blame him for that game at all- that was an extremely tough kick and a lot of players made a lot of mistakes to get to that point. But at the same time, it's hard NOT to bring it up. I asked him about Bruce and we talked about Reed and Tasker not being in the Hall, about his Pro Bowl in 89 and talked a little about the current team, and I avoided the SBXXV stuff because I'm sure he's heard it a million times. But it wasn't easy.Well played Op. I know I would have tried to avoid the topic all together.

I heard he was clinically depressed after that game and never fully recovered

ALL D
08-08-2009, 11:26 AM
Damn the guy looks real old.

First thing out of my mouth would've been that my fantasy team name is Wide Righters lol.

He aged thirty years within one after that superbowl...

I aged 50 :down:

ALL D
08-08-2009, 11:28 AM
Be careful in the bathroom peeing next to him. He might miss the urinal and hit your foot...:mad:

TheBrownBear
08-08-2009, 11:28 AM
Yeah...I never ever blamed Norwood. It was out of his range and I honestly never thought he had a shot at it...maybe something like 20%. Also, I met him when I was younger and he's a real good guy. He did a lot of stuff with Camp Good Days when I used to attend as a kid.

Anyway, that game was all on Levy and Kelly. Kelly didn't play a bad game statistically, but his ego got the best of him and he called a horrible game. Hand the ball to Thurman 30 times and we probably win that game by 7-10 points.

BillsNick
08-08-2009, 11:30 AM
Scott Norwood didn't lose the game. But he sure as ***** didn't win it.

Having said that, I don't hate the guy. I just hate the years of nightmares and therapy I had to go through.

FlyingDutchman
08-08-2009, 11:36 AM
Scott Norwood didn't lose the game. But he sure as ***** didn't win it.

Having said that, I don't hate the guy. I just hate the years of nightmares and therapy I had to go through.

kinda how i feel. I dont hate the guy. Ive been arrested before, ive been in a motorcycle accident, ive been let go from a job, ive had girlfriends break up with me....but January 27th 1991 is the worst day of my life....

Dr. Lecter
08-08-2009, 11:46 AM
I still hate Mark ****ing Ingram.

Hope is enjoying jail. He deserves it.

TacklingDummy
08-08-2009, 11:54 AM
Scott Norwood is the main reason of many reason's why the Bills lost the game.

Ginger Vitis
08-08-2009, 11:56 AM
I still hate Mark ****ing Ingram.

Hope is enjoying jail. He deserves it.

lol.. How do you feel about the 3 bills who missed tackles on him that allowed Mark to convert that 3rd and 13?

FlyingDutchman
08-08-2009, 11:59 AM
i hate the thoughts this thread is starting to stir up in my head

Dr. Lecter
08-08-2009, 11:59 AM
TD, Norwood was not the main reason. Not even close.

ALL D
08-08-2009, 12:04 PM
A horrible time in my life... I can say that. I was only able to watch this superbowl twice since 90... I do blame Scott. It is his job to kick a ball through uprights and he got paid more than I ever will a year...

THATHURMANATOR
08-08-2009, 01:17 PM
People act as though he missed a chip shot. He missed a 48 yarder. It would have been the longest kick on grass in his career.
47 yards actually

BAM
08-08-2009, 01:18 PM
I was only 10 when that happened but re-watching the game a couple times it's hard to put the blame solely on him. We should have scored a few more times than we did.

That's cool that you met him Op. From everything I've heard and read about him, he seems like a very cool guy. It's sad that he has to carry that burdon the rest of his life. It appears he's cool with it though.

Miami_Vice
08-08-2009, 01:54 PM
The fact is, if he would of made that kick...you guys would of won a SuperBowl.

But instead you went on to lose 4 straight. ouch.

As a Fin fan, I was actually rooting for you guys to win all those. Obviously you guys had the best chance vs the Gmen but Scott screwed up.

Mr. Pink
08-08-2009, 02:19 PM
Scott Norwood is probably the lowest reason on the list of why the Bills lost that superbowl.

Play calling, poor tackling, Jeff Hostetler and Ottis Anderson are the main reasons.

A case can be made for any of the 4 to be the main reason.

mayotm
08-08-2009, 04:03 PM
47 yards actuallyI stand corrected. It was a chip shot.

realdealryan
08-08-2009, 05:43 PM
I always liked to think that Scott Norwood was the last reason of many we lost the game.

billsburgh
08-08-2009, 08:07 PM
which bar in pittsburgh was this?

Jeff1220
08-08-2009, 09:23 PM
What is that on Jimmy's head?

billsfanone
08-08-2009, 09:57 PM
Did you think Norwood for ruining all of our lives?

:jk:
:calm:

Billz_fan
08-08-2009, 11:13 PM
Bah, I made peace with that game long ago. If Scotts kick went through Thurman woulda been MVP of the Super Bowl. Bruce also had a nice game.

Anyway, I watched that game at a little sports bar in Seneca Falls NY. Place was half Bills and half Giants fans. We were all holding hands during the kick just like the players were. My buddy was saying right away it was to far, I was the optomist lol.

That loss was actually alot easier than the rest for me. It was because it was the first and I knew we were gonna be good for several years so I immediatly set my sights on next year. I would say the Washington SB was the worst for me. I was angry for a long time after that. There were problems with the officiating in that game. In my mind anyway. I think Andre Reed would agree. I also felt out talent was much better than theres.

OpIv37
08-09-2009, 01:36 AM
which bar in pittsburgh was this?

Jacks on E Carson, then we saw him again at Fat Heads a little later on. The pic is at Jacks.

Barb
08-09-2009, 03:46 AM

it doesn´t matter if you get dominated, got outplayed etc. he had a chance to win it in the end and he choked, end of the story

Buffalogic
08-09-2009, 03:58 AM
If only Hostetler fumbled that ball in the endzone when Bruce grabbed his throwing arm and took him down for a safety..

TacklingDummy
08-09-2009, 06:33 AM
TD, Norwood was not the main reason. Not even close.If he made the kick would the Bills have won?

TacklingDummy
08-09-2009, 06:35 AM
Scott Norwood is probably the lowest reason on the list of why the Bills lost that superbowl.

Play calling, poor tackling, Jeff Hostetler and Ottis Anderson are the main reasons.

Even with all that it still came down to one play, if it's good the Bills win.

Billz_fan
08-09-2009, 06:36 AM
it doesn´t matter if you get dominated, got outplayed etc. he had a chance to win it in the end and he choked, end of the story

Choke is when you miss an extra point or a 20 yard FG, not when you miss a kick thats at the edge of your range.

Choke is missing a lay up not a 3 pointer.

Choke is not executing something you do everyday, not something you do less than 30% of the time.

Night Train
08-09-2009, 06:45 AM
Yeah...I never ever blamed Norwood. It was out of his range and I honestly never thought he had a shot at it...maybe something like 20%. Also, I met him when I was younger and he's a real good guy. He did a lot of stuff with Camp Good Days when I used to attend as a kid.

Anyway, that game was all on Levy and Kelly. Kelly didn't play a bad game statistically, but his ego got the best of him and he called a horrible game. Hand the ball to Thurman 30 times and we probably win that game by 7-10 points.

Dead On :bf1:

Mr. Pink
08-09-2009, 07:51 AM
Even with all that it still came down to one play, if it's good the Bills win.

Or if Mark Ingram is tackled, the Bills win.

Or if Bruce swats the ball out of Hoss's arm, the Bills win.

Or if Jim Kelly hands the ball off to Thurman Thomas a few more times, the Bills win.

Dr. Lecter
08-09-2009, 10:00 AM
If he made the kick would the Bills have won?

God, that is such a stupid oversimplification I don't know where to start.

elltrain22
08-09-2009, 10:12 AM
One more time: Our loss in SB XXV was not Scott Norwood's fault.

I agree 110%.

kelly2reed4six
08-09-2009, 11:25 AM
Jimmy's is the *****! Do you go there often Opi?

Meathead
08-09-2009, 11:34 AM
it certainly is an honor to meet you mr norwide, ... err oh no wait, ... dammit

that works much better

TacklingDummy
08-09-2009, 12:18 PM
Or if Mark Ingram is tackled, the Bills win.

Or if Bruce swats the ball out of Hoss's arm, the Bills win.

Or if Jim Kelly hands the ball off to Thurman Thomas a few more times, the Bills win.

All those things happened before the final play of the game and are reasons the Bills lost.

The main reason they lost though was because even though all those things happened, at the end of the game the Bills still could have won but Norwood missed the kick.

trapezeus
08-09-2009, 01:17 PM
no one gets on bruce smith for not ripping the ball that was dangling in hoestler's hands on the safety. he gets it out and they get they the touchdown. that's the win right there.

I agree with the other posters, norwood looks really old now.

Ginger Vitis
08-09-2009, 02:18 PM
I agree with the other posters, norwood looks really old now.

Many sleepless night staring at the ceiling, waking up from nightmares will do that to a person

Dr. Lecter
08-09-2009, 10:54 PM
All those things happened before the final play of the game and are reasons the Bills lost.

The main reason they lost though was because even though all those things happened, at the end of the game the Bills still could have won but Norwood missed the kick.

So if he tried a 90 yard field goal you would say the same thing?

There is not just one play in a football game.

footballhottie
08-09-2009, 11:26 PM
O f this. You should have hit him or at least put a few choice words his way. pussy

footballhottie
08-09-2009, 11:28 PM
Same goes for thurman and kelly

dmosher12
08-10-2009, 01:06 AM
no one person deserves the blame for a million people. let the poor guy live. some of you are evil. you know there were 4 not just that one. He only had a part in the f up of one.