X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Coach Sal
    • Aug 2006

John Wendling abused

John Wendling was directly responsible for two of the biggest plays made by Tennessee in the first half.

1. The fake punt. Wendling was the furthest player on the D-Line coming off the edge rushing the punter. Normally, that player is responsible for outside contain if the punter pulls it down and runs. That means he's supposed to make the punter turn inside of him, towards the rest of the defense, so someone can make the play before he gets the first down. Wendling completely neglected the outside contain (again, assuming he was supposed to have that), continued on towards the punter and was beaten easily to his outside. No one else was there to make the play.

2. On 4th and 2 right after the 2-minute warning, Chris Henry was sort of stymied at the line. Wendling was the only player in the hole able to make the tackle - and should have. He stopped, let Henry make a move on him, then tried to dive at his feet and tackle him. He STILL had a chance to bring him down, but completely let Henry slip through his grasp.....err......whiff.

I like Wendling's athleticism. But if this is the kind of effort and play he's going to bring to defense and special teams, get rid of him right now.

And, by the way, there's no "it's only preseason" excuses you could possibly make for these kinds of mistakes. He's now a 3-year vet who should know his assignments, as well as not miss 1-on-1 tackles on 4th down.
    Last edited by Coach Sal; 08-09-2009, 09:19 PM.
    Click to listen:

Buffalo Bills Now! and NFL Now! podcasts
    And every Saturday at 11am on WGR

"A good name is more desirable than great riches, and high esteem is better than silver and gold."

Class Character Commitment Consistency Courage
  • trapezeus
    Legendary Zoner
    • Oct 2004

Re: John Wendling abused

well said, coach.

perhaps the NFL will add a "can you jump 60 inches from a standing position for 7 points" that will make him a real steal.

Comment

• ServoBillieves
      The Voice of Reason
      • Jul 2007

Safeties will end up being Whitner, Scott, Simpson, Wilson, Byrd. Wendling impressed me his first year. That's about it.
      Bye Bye Brady...

Comment

• X-Era
        What this generation tolerates, the next generation will embrace
        • Feb 2005

Originally posted by Coach Sal
        John Wendling was directly responsible for two of the biggest plays made by Tennessee in the first half.

1. The fake punt. Wendling was the furthest player on the D-Line coming off the edge rushing the punter. Normally, that player is responsible for outside contain if the punter pulls it down and runs. That means he's supposed to make the punter turn inside of him, towards the rest of the defense, so someone can make the play before he gets the first down. Wendling completely neglected the outside contain (again, assuming he was supposed to have that), continued on towards the punter and was beaten easily to his outside. No one else was there to make the play.

2. On 4th and 2 right after the 2-minute warning, Chris Henry was sort of stymied at the line. Wendling was the only player in the hole able to make the tackle - and should have. He stopped, let Henry make a move on him, then tried to dive at his feet and tackle him. He STILL had a chance to bring him down, but completely let Henry slip through his grasp.....err......whiff.

I like Wendling's athleticism. But if this is the kind of effort and play he's going to bring to defense and special teams, get rid of him right now.

And, by the way, there's no "it's only preseason" excuses you could possibly make for these kinds of mistakes. He's now a 3-year vet who should know his assignments, as well as not miss 1-on-1 tackles on 4th down.
        I appreciate the comments of course...

But Id really like to hear what your sources are saying about our interest in Mike Vick... If any.

Comment

• Mr. Miyagi
          Lecter's Little Bitch

• Sep 2002

Oh sure. We cut him and he'll end up becoming the next Jim Leonhard in New England.

Comment

• Lexwhat
            • Feb 2005

Good points, Coach. Not to hijack your thread, but I had a few points to add about our safeties:

-- I hate to beat a dead horse, but Donte Whitner was looking very mediocre. This guy talks big, but is slow to the ball and unable to shed blocks, as usual. I only saw him involved in 2 tackles (one was a weak shove out of bounds). I just don't think this guy has the ability to read and diagnose plays.

His effort on that Lendale White TD was downright terrible.

-- I would be surprised to see Ko Simpson on our opening-day roster.

-- Bryan Scott is a pretty decent player. The Bills wouldn't do this, but I wouldn't be opposed to starting Byrd at FS (if he's ready) and Scott at SS.

Comment

• Coach Sal
              • Aug 2006

Originally posted by EdwardsEra
              I appreciate the comments of course...

But Id really like to hear what your sources are saying about our interest in Mike Vick... If any.
              I have not heard a single thing regarding the Bills being interested in Vick from any of my sources.

Doesn't mean they are completely void of interest. But I have heard squat about it if they are at all.

I don't think they have any interest, personally.
              Click to listen:

"A good name is more desirable than great riches, and high esteem is better than silver and gold."

Comment

• Coach Sal
                • Aug 2006

Originally posted by Lexwhat
                -- Bryan Scott is a pretty decent player. The Bills wouldn't do this, but I wouldn't be opposed to starting Byrd at FS (if he's ready) and Scott at SS.
                I said last year that Scott has been a better safety than Whitner.

Not a popular opinion. But it's the truth.
                Click to listen:

Comment

• X-Era
                  What this generation tolerates, the next generation will embrace
                  • Feb 2005

I have not heard a single thing regarding the Bills being interested in Vick from any of my sources.

Doesn't mean they are completely void of interest. But I have heard squat about it if they are at all.

I don't think they have any interest, personally.
                  I just think Fitz showed us nothing tonight and I have a real concern about Trent lasting all year.

Comment

• Lexwhat
                    • Feb 2005

I said last year that Scott has been a better safety than Whitner.

Not a popular opinion. But it's the truth.
                    Agreed 100%.

Comment

• TigerJ
                      • Jul 2002

The "It's only preseason," comment only applies to wins and losses. When it comes to individual players, at least the fringe guys (and Wendling is one of them) they are playing for their jobs. If Wendling doesn't redeem himself with some stellar play in future preseason games, he might well get cut on the basis of his play. Wendling's reputation as a special teams standout not withstanding, he is turning out to be something of a classic "looks like Tarzan-plays like Jane" player.
                      I've made up my mind. Don't confuse me with the facts.

I'm the most reasonable poster here. If you don't agree, I'll be forced to have a hissy fit.

Comment

• thenry20
                        • Jan 2004

Hey Coach thanks for echoing my thoughts in the game thread earlier. Whendling DID miss his assignment on the contain. Let's say the Titans run the reverse, it still would've been a positive gain for them since John decided he was going to chase the end around no matter what. He's an idiot and he does know better because he is no rookie.

There were two "gunners" inside of him who were going for the punt block as they should have.

Comment

• SABURZFAN
                          short bus extraordinaire
                          • Jul 2002

i couldn't agree more.
                          Originally posted by yordad
                          Christ, you are the queerest person in the history of Bills fanhood. I swear to god I would stomp you.

Comment

• Lexwhat
                            • Feb 2005

Overall, I feel our Defense is hurting. We have incredible depth at CB, but our Safety, LB, and DE depth is poor.

Unless Maybin really steps up, our pass-rush will be nearly as bad as last season. I expect a 6-8 sack season from Schobel, which is unspectacular.

This defense won't be that bad against average offenses, but will really be exploited against high-powered offenses like the Patriots and Saints.

Comment

• psubills62
                              Legendary Zoner
                              • Sep 2008

Originally posted by Lexwhat
                              Overall, I feel our Defense is hurting. We have incredible depth at CB, but our Safety, LB, and DE depth is poor.

Unless Maybin really steps up, our pass-rush will be nearly as bad as last season. I expect a 6-8 sack season from Schobel, which is unspectacular.

This defense won't be that bad against average offenses, but will really be exploited against high-powered offenses like the Patriots and Saints.
                              Completely agree. Why is it that the short passes turn into HUGE gains against our defense...but whenever our offense uses the short pass against our opponent's defense, it gets stymied? It's unbelievably frustrating to see someone like Alge Crumpler running free for 10 yards without ANYONE near him.

Fewell: stop putting defensive ends on tight ends!!

Oh, and how hard is it to tell our CB's to guard the first down marker when it's 3rd and long??? Seriously...if we play zone that much, it shouldn't be that difficult.
                              "Misguided political correctness tethers our intellects."
                              - Nicholas Cummings

Comment

Working...
                              X