PDA

View Full Version : Tim Graham's Thoughts From Last Night...

DraftBoy
08-10-2009, 11:17 AM
http://myespn.go.com/blogs/afceast/0-9-141/Five-Bills-observations-from-Hall-of-Fame-Game.html

CANTON, Ohio -- The Buffalo Bills opened their preseason schedule Sunday night with a 21-18 loss to the Tennessee Titans in the annual Pro Football Hall of Fame Game.

Here are five Bills observations from Fawcett Stadium:

Hemlepp53
08-10-2009, 11:27 AM
http://myespn.go.com/blogs/afceast/0-9-141/Five-Bills-observations-from-Hall-of-Fame-Game.html

Good read .. thanks DB

BillsWin
08-10-2009, 11:45 AM
Im really excited about this no-huddle offense. We need to work on converting the 3rd downs and 4th downs, but the no-huddle worked great. It did what it was supposed to, create mismatches in opposing defenses and tire them out.

The Bills QBs seemed to have no problem calling plays and getting the line ready.

I think why we didnt look that good, or put points on the board was that we had absolutely no push up front.

Our running lanes would collapse before the RBs would get to the holes. CORRECTION: there were no holes...

We will get better as the preseason rolls on. I wouldnt be surprised if Edwards drives it down the field and scores Saturday.

Levitre got schooled, but like Chris Brown said in his chat. He needs more time. I standby what I said after the draft. Levitre and Wood will be anchors for the Bills' offensive line for years to come. Growing pains are expected. Levitre had his welcome to the NFL moment last night.

Im worried about McKelvin. Is he still hurt? he was getting abused. Not deep or anything. But he was giving up to much. McGee was lockdown. Corner is awesome. Florence was a fantastic pick up.

We NEED more pressure on the QB. Schobel was in his face alot, but couldnt get there. and with lack of pressure from the other side, Collins and Young could just step to their right and avoid the rush.

Ellis was ok. But I think Maybin needs to get his ass on the field. Reports coming out of OBD say he MAY sign this week. GOOD.

Harris is the real deal. He is still transitioning, but he may steal Ellison's spot sooner than we thought. No matter how bad Young was last night, it is still difficult to chase him down and Harris did it from the opposite side of the field.

Our 1st team defense would do better if we had a rush. It wasnt that they were HORRIBLE, it was just that the DBs had to cover longer as Collins had more time to throw.

Our run defense was pretty stout with Stroud in there. We were crushing Chris Johnson and had alot of TFLs until we switched units.

Poz looks like he was the right pick when we moved up for him.

Mitchell was flying around.

Any doubts Owens is the man? He made the guy covering him look like a fool when he planted his foot and turned on that curl route.

Even though it looked bad last night, thinking about it today, I am still really excited for this season. Everyone of our mistakes last night are fixable.

Step One: Levitre needs to get better
Step Two: blitz more or provide a better pass rush
Step Three: buckle down more on the underneath routes.
Step Four: get better at run blocking.

justasportsfan
08-10-2009, 11:49 AM
but the no-huddle worked great. It did what it was supposed to, create mismatches in opposing defenses and tire them out.

great?

I think why we didnt look that good, or put points on the board was that we had absolutely no push up front.

Our running lanes would collapse before the RBs would get to the holes. CORRECTION: there were no holes...

We will get better as the preseason rolls on. I wouldnt be surprised if Edwards drives it down the field and scores Saturday.

Levitre got schooled, but like Chris Brown said in his chat. He needs more time. I standby what I said after the draft. Levitre and Wood will be anchors for the Bills' offensive line for years to come. Growing pains are expected. Levitre had his welcome to the NFL moment last night.

Step One: Levitre needs to get better
Step Two: blitz more or provide a better pass rush
Step Three: buckle down more on the underneath routes.
Step Four: get better at run blocking.

BillsWin
08-10-2009, 11:58 AM
great?

for a first preseason game, it worked great because it did what I said, the d-line couldnt get set and Owens had no problem getting open. If the line was any good we would have put some points on the board.

justasportsfan
08-10-2009, 12:00 PM
for a first preseason game, it worked great because it did what I said, the d-line couldnt get set and Owens had no problem getting open. If the line was any good we would have put some points on the board.
but you went on to post the missmatches it created .....against our very own players.

THe no huddle ended up in an INT.Great would be if we scored a TD.

THe no huddle was neither here nor there, IMO.

BillsWin
08-10-2009, 12:04 PM
but you went on to post the missmatches it created .....against our very own players.

THe no huddle ended up in an INT.Great would be if we scored a TD.

THe no huddle was neither here nor there, IMO.

maybe great isnt the word then. worked well? we moved the ball with Trent.

Youre right, if that pass was a TD wed all feel differently about last night.

but Trent didnt go 4/4 50 yards and a TD he went 3/4 34 yards and an INT.

I still think we moved the ball well, and tired out the D, they couldnt get set and there were some mismatches there.

Like I keep saying, this offense will go where the line takes us.

HHURRICANE
08-10-2009, 12:07 PM
I'll say this again. If this is the o-line we are playing with this year than we are screwed.

alohabillsfan
08-10-2009, 12:08 PM
Well, i have seen worst offensive performances in our first preseason game, so overall I was happy with the execution. As far as the run game, I seem to remember that the staple of the Bills run game during the K-gun were draws and screens (which is essentially, a run play).

Not happy with the play call or execution inside the opponents 5 yard line, we have to smash that in every time!

psubills62
08-10-2009, 12:14 PM
I'll say this again. If this is the o-line we are playing with this year than we are screwed.

You're right. Rookies NEVER improve on their first preseason game. :rolleyes:

TigerJ
08-10-2009, 12:27 PM
I thought a lot of the Bills problems last night had to do with execution more than talent or lack thereof. The line struggled with run blocking, but I suppose that's to be expected at this point of the preseason considering how much it's changed. I don't expect Bruce Hall to be handling returns come regular season. I'd like to see what Ellis Lankster can do in that regard. John Wendling may play himself off he team if he doesn't handle special team responsibilities any better han he did last night.

justasportsfan
08-10-2009, 12:29 PM
maybe great isnt the word then. worked well? we moved the ball with Trent.

Youre right, if that pass was a TD wed all feel differently about last night.

but Trent didnt go 4/4 50 yards and a TD he went 3/4 34 yards and an INT.

I still think we moved the ball well, and tired out the D, they couldnt get set and there were some mismatches there.

Like I keep saying, this offense will go where the line takes us.
there were times last yeaar when we moved the ball well and either ended up w/ an int in the redzone or a fg. I hope this year isn't the same. I think Trent has the brain to run the no huddle, I just hope the coaches don't ruin it for him.

trapezeus
08-10-2009, 12:34 PM
i'm worried about our no huddle being too basic and not having enough plays in the arsenal.

On the 4th down in the redzone, no huddle or not, for the last three years, jauron has always run it on the right side for no gain. if you have the same bozo's coming up with these schemes, it really doesn't matter if they huddle or don't huddle.

BillsWin
08-10-2009, 12:46 PM
i'm worried about our no huddle being too basic and not having enough plays in the arsenal.

On the 4th down in the redzone, no huddle or not, for the last three years, jauron has always run it on the right side for no gain. if you have the same bozo's coming up with these schemes, it really doesn't matter if they huddle or don't huddle.

It is preseason though. We didnt see one deep ball from the first two units. but weve seen them in camp. Trust me, that was not all our offense is capable of.

I can see the potential of the offense.

Im pumped.

but if there is ZERO improvement on saturday we have issues. Really, Im waiting until the third game to panic.

Actually, to be honest, Im waiting until monday night against NE to panic. If we dont hold our own I will start to think there is no hope.

mayotm
08-10-2009, 12:47 PM
I'll say this again. If this is the o-line we are playing with this year than we are screwed.I agree. Most of your comments are extremely repetitive. Also, plesae stop writing "we". You lost the right when you threatened to become a Pats fan.