Philagape
08-10-2009, 06:37 PM
Agreed to terms, per vtext

pjw
08-10-2009, 06:38 PM
Per V-text

seanbillsfan
just gonna post this. love this signing!

pjw
Damn you! someone please merge.

OpIv37
08-10-2009, 06:45 PM
So basically.... Numminen for Grier? I like it a lot. Great move.

SabreEleven
08-10-2009, 06:59 PM
This front office so ****ed up why would ANYBODY come back to this organization.

SabreEleven
08-10-2009, 07:00 PM
I've heard this some where before...

Michael82
08-10-2009, 07:59 PM
Yeah baby! I never understood why they let him leave in the first place....

Nighthawk
08-10-2009, 08:35 PM

Do you really need to ask? This is the Sabres FO afterall...what's hard to understand?

bigbub2352
08-10-2009, 09:09 PM
good pickup now sign stafford aka siler and trade hecht

BillsSabresB.C.T. Fan
08-10-2009, 09:10 PM
The deal, it's a two way deal, meaning that the Sabres can send him to Portland. He's not the same type of player he was the first time he was here.

Grier (1/5/1975, 6’1”, 225 lbs.) had 23 points (10+13) in 62 games for San Jose last season. He was third on the Sharks in hits with 147, and was tied for 12th in the NHL with four SH points. Grier missed 20 games with a knee injury last season, after averaging 77 games played during his first 11 NHL seasons. He has played at least 81 games in a season five times during his career.
http://sabres.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=469827&navid=DL|BUF|home

I wonder if this why the deal is a two way deal

Dr. Lecter
08-10-2009, 09:39 PM
Where did you hear it was a two way deal?

BTW, the "they let him leave" stuff is simply not true. His case was nothing like Drury or Briere.

THATHURMANATOR
08-10-2009, 10:15 PM
No one could hate this signing I am pleasantly surprised. Great depth and leadership.

Philagape
08-10-2009, 10:16 PM
If nothing else, this team should be pounding the crap out of teams in the near future.

THATHURMANATOR
08-10-2009, 10:18 PM
If nothing else, this team should be pounding the crap out of teams in the near future.
Hardest working team in the NHL :hi5:

BillsSabresB.C.T. Fan
08-10-2009, 10:30 PM
Where did you hear it was a two way deal?

BTW, the "they let him leave" stuff is simply not true. His case was nothing like Drury or Briere.

NHL Network
http://www.nhlnetwork.com/en_US/shows/NHLOnTheFly

also they also announced it on NHL Home Ice which can be found on Sirius/XM channel 208 but you have to have the Best of XM package to listen.
http://www.sirius.com/servlet/ContentServer?pagename=Sirius/Page&c=Channel&cid=1217516684664&s=person

Ebenezer
08-10-2009, 10:31 PM
They did not "let him leave". They offered him the same deal as the Sharks but he CHOSE to leave and even said that he didn't like the direction the team was going. It was all on Grier. I'm surprised the Sabres are taking him back.

Philagape
08-10-2009, 10:44 PM
he didn't like the direction the team was going.

He was right.

Ebenezer
08-10-2009, 10:46 PM
He was right.
not at the time...he was the only one they "didn't bring back" and they made another run.

Typ0
08-10-2009, 10:48 PM
I'm very surprised by this. It's the last thing I thought would happen to be honest. It's a very pleasant surprise.

Typ0
08-10-2009, 10:48 PM
not at the time...he was the only one they "didn't bring back" and they made another run.

They were not a better team after he left.

Philagape
08-10-2009, 10:49 PM

But summer of 2006 was when the seeds of the collapse were sown by not locking up their leaders. Grier saw it coming, and so did some of us here.

Ebenezer
08-10-2009, 11:04 PM
But summer of 2006 was when the seeds of the collapse were sown by not locking up their leaders. Grier saw it coming, and so did some of us here.
Really? Link to where you predicted they would let DB and CD go.

Philagape
08-10-2009, 11:23 PM
Really? Link to where you predicted they would let DB and CD go.

Several of us were nervous, to say the least.

http://www.billszone.com/fanzone/showthread.php?t=103971&page=7&highlight=briere

BillsSabresB.C.T. Fan
08-10-2009, 11:25 PM
courtesy WGRZ 2 on your side Stu Boyer

<object classid='clsid:d27cdb6e-ae6d-11cf-96b8-444553540000' codebase='http://download.macromedia.com/pub/shockwave/cabs/flash/swflash.cab#version=9,0,0,0' width='320' height='305' id='embeddedplayer'><param name='movie' value='http://gannett.a.mms.mavenapps.net/mms/rt/1/site/gannett-wgrz-3315-pub01-live/current/articleplayer/singleclip/client/embedded/embedded.swf'/><param name='allowFullScreen' value='true'/><param name='allowScriptAccess' value='always'/><param name='scale' value='noscale'/><param name='salign' value='LT'/><param name='bgcolor' value='#000000'/><param name='wmode' value='window'/><param name='FlashVars' value='playerId=articleplayer&referralObject=1211106696&referralPlaylistId=playlist&adServerBasePath=http://gannett.gcion.com/adrawdata/.0/5111.1/506910/0/0/header=yes;cc=2;cookie=info;alias=&adPositionId=video_prestream&adSiteId=video.wgrz.com/&SSTSCode=news&gpaperCode=gntbcstwgrz&marketName=Buffalo, NY&division=broadcast&pageContentCategory=video&pageContentSubcategory=articleplayer'/><embed type='application/x-shockwave-flash' src='http://gannett.a.mms.mavenapps.net/mms/rt/1/site/gannett-wgrz-3315-pub01-live/current/articleplayer/singleclip/client/embedded/embedded.swf' id='embeddedplayer' pluginspage='http://www.macromedia.com/go/getflashplayer' menu='false' quality='high' play='false' name='articleplayer' height='305' width='320' allowFullScreen='true' allowScriptAccess='always' scale='noscale' salign='LT' bgcolor='#000000' wmode='window' flashvars='playerId=articleplayer&referralObject=1211106696&referralPlaylistId=playlist&adServerBasePath=http://gannett.gcion.com/adrawdata/.0/5111.1/506910/0/0/header=yes;cc=2;cookie=info;alias=&adPositionId=video_prestream&adSiteId=video.wgrz.com/&SSTSCode=news&gpaperCode=gntbcstwgrz&marketName=Buffalo, NY&division=broadcast&pageContentCategory=video&pageContentSubcategory=articleplayer'/></object>

Ebenezer
08-10-2009, 11:27 PM
Several of us were nervous, to say the least.

http://www.billszone.com/fanzone/showthread.php?t=103971&page=7&highlight=briere
we were all nervous...you didn't predict anything. i wonder what grier was thinking when they made a run at the Presidents trophy. Maybe if he had stayed they would have beat Ottawa.

Philagape
08-10-2009, 11:41 PM
we were all nervous...you didn't predict anything. i wonder what grier was thinking when they made a run at the Presidents trophy. Maybe if he had stayed they would have beat Ottawa.

And why were we nervous?!!?? :insane:

And maybe if he had stayed, WE WOULD HAVE MADE THE PLAYOFFS THE LAST TWO YEARS TOO!!!
:insane: :insane: :insane:
I wonder what he was thinking then????? How about :phew:

Ebenezer
08-10-2009, 11:44 PM
And why were we nervous?!!?? :insane:

And maybe if he had stayed, WE WOULD HAVE MADE THE PLAYOFFS THE LAST TWO YEARS TOO!!!
:insane: :insane: :insane:
I wonder what he was thinking then????? How about :phew:
because there are always people that predict the worst.

Philagape
08-10-2009, 11:47 PM
because there are always people that predict the worst.

AND

THEY

WERE

RIGHT

Ebenezer
08-10-2009, 11:49 PM
AND

THEY

WERE

RIGHT
THEN

STOP

ROOTING

FOR

THEM

Philagape
08-11-2009, 12:29 AM
THEN

STOP

ROOTING

FOR

THEM

How many years have you people used that line or some variation, and we're still here. You'll never understand. Buffalo fans of all people should understand, yet you don't.

clumping platelets
08-11-2009, 12:39 AM
:bf1:

chernobylwraiths
08-11-2009, 06:30 AM
They did not "let him leave". They offered him the same deal as the Sharks but he CHOSE to leave and even said that he didn't like the direction the team was going. It was all on Grier. I'm surprised the Sabres are taking him back.

All true, but he was right.

chernobylwraiths
08-11-2009, 06:33 AM

Didn't Mckee leave too that same offseason. Then Dumont left after arbitration. No, he was exactly right. Sure they won the president's trophy that season, but were no where near physical enough to win the Stanley Cup. They looked like crap against the Islanders, barely squeaked by the Rangers and got annihilated by the Senators.

rbochan
08-11-2009, 07:04 AM
So happy, I could almost cry.

trapezeus
08-11-2009, 10:13 AM
the skeptic in me thinks that the 3 years that grier is gone that he has diminished skills. and the only way they got him back was in a TO like deal where no one else wanted him. except for TO, he's in great shape, its his attitude that got him in trouble.

For grier, it may mean he's getting too old.

either way, i loved what he brought to the team back in the day and hope he can do that again.

the sabres might not be signing big names, but they seem to be signing bigger bruiser types that this team desperately needs.

Typ0
08-11-2009, 11:40 AM
yeah he won't be the same player physically but the guy was a monster mentally and a driving force on the team IMO. He's still going to bring the right attitude to the table.

the skeptic in me thinks that the 3 years that grier is gone that he has diminished skills. and the only way they got him back was in a TO like deal where no one else wanted him. except for TO, he's in great shape, its his attitude that got him in trouble.

For grier, it may mean he's getting too old.

either way, i loved what he brought to the team back in the day and hope he can do that again.

the sabres might not be signing big names, but they seem to be signing bigger bruiser types that this team desperately needs.

mchurchfie
08-11-2009, 11:53 AM
I love this signing. :bf1:

Mitchell55
08-11-2009, 12:43 PM
I love this signing. He was my favorite player before he left and was the only reason I watched SJ.

SabreEleven
08-11-2009, 12:46 PM
He won't be the same player as he was the first time he was here. This signing won't get us in the playoffs. I don't think this is that great of a signing.

BlackMetalNinja
08-11-2009, 03:58 PM
Wow, S11 finally brings the sense in here. I'm not sure what everybody is drooling about. It's a decent addition as he specifically brings something we need, but he's nothing special as a player and he's simply 4 years older than he was when we had him before. He gives us a player who will stand up for himself and perhaps keep some others from taking as much crap as they have the past 2 years, but he helps out on the scoring front almost not at all. He is not a difference maker in terms of making/not making the playoffs, or making/advancing in the postseason.

SabreEleven
08-11-2009, 04:18 PM
Should I be offended, Scott?

chernobylwraiths
08-12-2009, 06:29 AM
He brings toughness and a willingness to "do what it takes" that this team sorely lacks. Sure it isn't a big signing, but when you get virtually nothing done, even this is big news.

Anybody else think that maybe Grier's side called first since he wasn't getting any offers?

BlackMetalNinja
08-12-2009, 08:17 AM
Should I be offended, Scott?Not at all, I'm in agreement with you on this one. We got a now 34 year old guy who hasn't put up more than 25 points or even gotten 25 PIM despite all his "toughness" in the past 2 years. He may help a little, but I don't expect it to be much, and it's sad that this is what passes for an exciting signing for some people at this point.

THATHURMANATOR
08-12-2009, 08:54 AM
Lunn Grier is a leader and a tough physical defensive presence. His worth doesn't show up on a stat sheet. Our team was full of Pansy's with tons of talent. That didn't get us back into the playoffs. They needed to offset guys like Pommonville, Roy, and Connolly with some strong willed players.

chernobylwraiths
08-12-2009, 09:01 AM
Not at all, I'm in agreement with you on this one. We got a now 34 year old guy who hasn't put up more than 25 points or even gotten 25 PIM despite all his "toughness" in the past 2 years. He may help a little, but I don't expect it to be much, and it's sad that this is what passes for an exciting signing for some people at this point.

Tough doesn't necessarily mean fighting or dirty, it just means he can give out hits and take them without breaking a pinkie and missing games.

Nighthawk
08-12-2009, 12:21 PM
Wow, S11 finally brings the sense in here. I'm not sure what everybody is drooling about. It's a decent addition as he specifically brings something we need, but he's nothing special as a player and he's simply 4 years older than he was when we had him before. He gives us a player who will stand up for himself and perhaps keep some others from taking as much crap as they have the past 2 years, but he helps out on the scoring front almost not at all. He is not a difference maker in terms of making/not making the playoffs, or making/advancing in the postseason.

Exactly! I don't hate the pickup, but I'm not drooling over it either. This is merely an attempt by this FO to sucker people into believing they give a s**t about changing the makeup of this team. It's a publicity stunt and it seems to have worked.

SabreEleven
08-12-2009, 12:50 PM
Tough doesn't necessarily mean fighting or dirty, it just means he can give out hits and take them without breaking a pinkie and missing games.

"Hitting doesn't win games" so why sign him?

Dozerdog
08-12-2009, 01:17 PM
He's a 4th line player who will average 10 min of ice time a game and a point or two a week.

A decent depth guy with leadership- but nothing that will put us over the top.
He is a "middle class" player- a role moving into extinction in today,s NHL. Teams overpay for flashy skill players, good defensemen, and fill out the 3rd & 4th lines with first contract players. He's lucky to land here for over $1 million.

chernobylwraiths
08-12-2009, 02:17 PM
"Hitting doesn't win games" so why sign him?

He's a bit like a Paul Gaustad. We need guys like this on the team instead of more Clark MacArthers. We need more hitters to let teams know that they aren't going to be able to skate freely wherever they want, like our zone. It certainly can help win games. By no means am I saying Grier is a difference maker, but subtracting out a soft player out of the lineup for him is addition by subtraction.

chernobylwraiths
08-12-2009, 02:18 PM
He's a 4th line player who will average 10 min of ice time a game and a point or two a week.

A decent depth guy with leadership- but nothing that will put us over the top.
He is a "middle class" player- a role moving into extinction in today,s NHL. Teams overpay for flashy skill players, good defensemen, and fill out the 3rd & 4th lines with first contract players. He's lucky to land here for over $1 million.

He will probably play half of all the penalty kills too and be out at the end of close games to protect a lead.

BlackMetalNinja
08-12-2009, 04:33 PM
He's a bit like a Paul Gaustad. We need guys like this on the team instead of more Clark MacArthers. We need more hitters to let teams know that they aren't going to be able to skate freely wherever they want, like our zone. It certainly can help win games. By no means am I saying Grier is a difference maker, but subtracting out a soft player out of the lineup for him is addition by subtraction.I'll take Gaustad over him every day of the week. Gaustad gets dirty in the middle in front of the goalie and contributes offensively more than Grier ever will. He'll also kick some ass when necessary. Not to mention he's like 6-7 years younger.

Mitchell55
08-12-2009, 11:14 PM
I'll take Gaustad over him every day of the week. Gaustad gets dirty in the middle in front of the goalie and contributes offensively more than Grier ever will. He'll also kick some ass when necessary. Not to mention he's like 6-7 years younger.

Gaustads a pussy. All he does is stand in the middle of everything and he cant fight. We only have 3 bad asses, Peters, Rivet, and Mair. Greir is more of a protector and can hit way better than Gaustad and he can fight better.

rbochan
08-13-2009, 06:20 AM
The biggest things the team lacked last year was physicality and accountability. The Sabres team has more than enough skill to score. That's not what kept them out of the playoffs.

Opposing teams took liberties with the skill guys because there was no concern about retribution. Now, the 3rd and 4th lines are tougher, grittier, and have some balls. If teams take cheap shots, they will have to answer for it.

Last season, we all saw how the Sabres would go through a multi-game losing streak and just shrug it off. No passion. If you don't think Grier will have an effect on that, you've never watched him play, or seen his attitude in the locker room. He'll shove a hockey stick up someone's ass before he'll go with lazy, uninspired play. He's probably a better coach, in that respect, than Lindy.

We got our one man pk back.

I love that the team is now tougher, meaner, and well on it's way back to being the hardest working hockey team in the NHL.

chernobylwraiths
08-13-2009, 06:32 AM
Gaustads a pussy. All he does is stand in the middle of everything and he cant fight. We only have 3 bad asses, Peters, Rivet, and Mair. Greir is more of a protector and can hit way better than Gaustad and he can fight better.

:shakeno:

Dozerdog
08-13-2009, 06:40 AM
He will probably play half of all the penalty kills too and be out at the end of close games to protect a lead.

Like I said- 10 minutes a night

BlackMetalNinja
08-13-2009, 07:30 AM
Gaustads a pussy. All he does is stand in the middle of everything and he cant fight. We only have 3 bad asses, Peters, Rivet, and Mair. Greir is more of a protector and can hit way better than Gaustad and he can fight better.No offense kid, but you don't have a clue...

Ebenezer
08-13-2009, 08:32 AM
He brings toughness and a willingness to "do what it takes" that this team sorely lacks. Sure it isn't a big signing, but when you get virtually nothing done, even this is big news.

Anybody else think that maybe Grier's side called first since he wasn't getting any offers?
why would he call when he was so desperate to get out of here three years ago because he didn't like the direction the team was going?

chernobylwraiths
08-13-2009, 09:27 AM
Like I said- 10 minutes a night

Well, maybe. I think it will be around 12, but it is a lot better than the 2 to 5 minutes a night out of some 4th liners.

chernobylwraiths
08-13-2009, 09:34 AM
why would he call when he was so desperate to get out of here three years ago because he didn't like the direction the team was going?

Maybe he wasn't getting any incoming calls.

Are you arguing that he was wrong and the direction of the team was headed in the right direction? I argue that he saw the writing on the wall. He saw them walk away from McKee. I'm not really sure on the timing of the arbitration awards, but he saw them not really try to make deals with Briere and Dumont. I think he was right and seeing what happened in subsequent years proves it.

mchurchfie
08-13-2009, 11:23 AM
He brings serious toughness, he comes to play EVERY night, and he creates space for pussies like Roy, Stafford, Pommers, etc. Next to Gaustad I don't see anyone on our so-called "checking-physical" lines that are better than him, deteriorated skills or not. I watched him play quite a bit last year and I didn't see a whole lot of dropoff at all. He was creating havoc like he always does and I was wishing he was back with us again as a matter of fact. This isn't a headliner signing but it is head and shoulders above what they have done so far, I'll take it dammit!

chernobylwraiths
08-13-2009, 11:32 AM
He brings serious toughness, he comes to play EVERY night, and he creates space for pussies like Roy, Stafford, Pommers, etc. Next to Gaustad I don't see anyone on our so-called "checking-physical" lines that are better than him, deteriorated skills or not. I watched him play quite a bit last year and I didn't see a whole lot of dropoff at all. He was creating havoc like he always does and I was wishing he was back with us again as a matter of fact. This isn't a headliner signing but it is head and shoulders above what they have done so far, I'll take it dammit!

Well, there's Mair too.

mchurchfie
08-13-2009, 11:35 AM
Well, there's Mair too.
He is definitely right up there but Grier is bigger and stronger.

chernobylwraiths
08-13-2009, 11:44 AM
The penalty kill will be Grier and Gaustad, unless they want to have a physical presence on the ice at all times, then they would split up and join with probably Hecht and Pomminville.

SABURZFAN
08-15-2009, 09:36 AM
WOW!!!!!!!! i totally missed this thread. it's nice to get Rosey's toughness back.

RockStar36
08-26-2009, 09:50 AM
Glad he's back, but the idea that he left on his own and the Sabres let him leave is dead wrong.

As for him not liking the direction the team was heading, that's fine, it was his choice. I just wonder how much he liked San Jose and their first round choke jobs. That was a much better choice.

chernobylwraiths
08-27-2009, 06:43 AM
Glad he's back, but the idea that he left on his own and the Sabres let him leave is dead wrong.

As for him not liking the direction the team was heading, that's fine, it was his choice. I just wonder how much he liked San Jose and their first round choke jobs. That was a much better choice.

At least he was in the playoffs every year.

RockStar36
08-27-2009, 07:00 AM
At least he was in the playoffs every year.

There really is no difference between missing the playoffs and making the playoffs just to lose in the first round.

Actually, I take that back. It's much worse to win the Presidents Trophy and lose to an 8 seed in the first round.

chernobylwraiths
08-27-2009, 09:13 AM
There really is no difference between missing the playoffs and making the playoffs just to lose in the first round.

Actually, I take that back. It's much worse to win the Presidents Trophy and lose to an 8 seed in the first round.

No, I don't think that is correct. I think most Sabres fans would actually like to make the playoffs.

Philagape
08-28-2009, 08:41 AM
Playoffs > no playoffs.

Kinda weird to actually have to say that, but this is Buffalo, the land of crumpled standards and bitter homers.

Also, the Sharks did win their first-round series in two of Grier's three years there. That's even more better than not making the playoffs!! :insane:

RockStar36
08-28-2009, 01:20 PM
I like how everyone conveniently ignores the whole "winning the Presidents Trophy" and losing in the first round comment. Like always, you guys just pick what you want to respond to and ignore the fact that someone else made a good point.

If Grier hated the direction that the Sabres were heading, it's amazing that he wanted to come back to such a lowly orginization. Why would he ever want to leave such a winning team like San Jose?

Philagape
08-28-2009, 01:57 PM
I like how everyone conveniently ignores the whole "winning the Presidents Trophy" and losing in the first round comment. Like always, you guys just pick what you want to respond to and ignore the fact that someone else made a good point.

Because it wasn't a good point. Still better than the Sabres.

If Grier hated the direction that the Sabres were heading, it's amazing that he wanted to come back to such a lowly orginization. Why would he ever want to leave such a winning team like San Jose?

Because he longer has the choice he did three years ago? Did they even offer him a contract?
A journeyman who will turn 35 during the season doesn't exactly get his pick of the litter.