• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Beastie Bills
    Senior Zoner
    • Mar 2009

Maybin was a terrible draft pick

I wasn't crazy about the Maybin pick at first, but there was nobody on the board at 11 that I wanted. I would have loved to trade down to the late-teens to grab Pettigrew. I'm sure they tried to trade down, but it seemed like nobody seemed to want to move up into the top-half of the 1st round (except the Jets).

But the more I think about it, the more I think that Maybin was really a terrible pick. He will be a situational pass-rusher, and that's ok. But Schobel is what, 32? And he's coming off a foot injury. He may never be the same, and I was never crazy about him to begin with. When he was at his best, he was above average, but hardly elite. He would've been an awesome #2. If he can't bounce back this year, I think we'll need to replace him. But Maybin won't be an every-down DE, so we'll need to draft ANOTHER DE next year. Maybin was a wasted pick, IMO. A luxury that we can't afford. We should've just taken Pettigrew, even if it was a reach.
    Last edited by Beastie Bills; 08-11-2009, 09:32 AM.
  • THATHURMANATOR
    • Jul 2002

Re: Maybin was a terrible draft pick

Originally posted by Beastie Bills
    I wasn't crazy about the Maybin pick at first, but there was nobody on the board at 11 that I wanted. I would have loved to trade down to the late-teens to grab Pettigrew. I'm sure they tried to trade down, but it seemed like nobody seemed to want to move up into the top-half of the 1st round (except the Jets).

But the more I think about it, the more I think that Maybin was really a terrible pick. He will be a situational pass-rusher, and that's ok. But Schobel is what, 32? And he's coming off a foot injury. He may never be the same, and I was never crazy about him to begin with. When he was at his best, he was above average, but hardly elite. He would've been an awesome #2. If he can't bounce back this year, I think we'll need to replace him. But Maybin won't be an every-down DE, so we'll need to draft ANOTHER DE next year. Maybin was a wasted pick, IMO. A luxury that we can't afford. We should've just taken Pettigrew, even if it was a reach.
    How can you be 100% sure of anything at this point?

Why can't Maybin be an every down DE?

Not saying he will or won't be anything but how are you already so sure?

Comment

• MikeInRoch
      • Sep 2003

I love when posters so quickly add themselves to my "your opinion is no longer worth listening to" list.
      "'Clean up your room.', 'Stand up straight.', 'Pick up your feet.', 'Take it like a man.', 'Be nice to your sister.', 'Don't mix beer and wine, ever.'. Oh yeah, 'Don't drive on the railroad track.'"

"Eh, Phil. That's one I happen to agree with."

Comment

• Beastie Bills
        Senior Zoner
        • Mar 2009

Originally posted by THATHURMANATOR
        How can you be 100% sure of anything at this point?

Why can't Maybin be an every down DE?

Not saying he will or won't be anything but how are you already so sure?
        I never said I was 100% sure of anything. Where did you get that from?

But based on what I've seen from Maybin in college, I don't think he'll be an every down DE. I could be wrong. I hope I'm wrong.

Comment

• THATHURMANATOR
          • Jul 2002

But based on what I've seen from Maybin in college, I don't think he'll be an every down DE. I could be wrong. I hope I'm wrong.
          Well here's to hoping you are wrong

Comment

• Beastie Bills
            Senior Zoner
            • Mar 2009

Originally posted by THATHURMANATOR
            Well here's to hoping you are wrong
            I've got my fingers crossed.

Comment

• T-Long
              Circling the Wagons since 1982.
              • Sep 2003

I like the idea of Maybin taking over Ellison's spot...actually him and Harris sharing it (harris on obvious running downs, Maybin in passing situations). That would be a perfect combo for their rookie seasons...then go from there.

Comment

• Mahdi
                • Mar 2004

What did you see in college that tells you he is not an every down DE?

Comment

• Beastie Bills
                  Senior Zoner
                  • Mar 2009

Originally posted by T-Long
                  I like the idea of Maybin taking over Ellison's spot...actually him and Harris sharing it (harris on obvious running downs, Maybin in passing situations). That would be a perfect combo for their rookie seasons...then go from there.
                  If he can successfully transition to OLB, I would be happy. Because, as it stands now, we may need to take an OLB early next season. I'm starting to have doubts in Mitchell, and Ellison is obviously not the answer. But if Maybin could play OLB, and we then take a DE early next year, we should be in good shape.

Comment

• Jan Reimers
                    Thank You, Terry and Kim, for Saving the Bills. Now, Work on the Sabres.
                    • May 2003

I've got my usual idea. Let's wait 2-3 years before we judge any draft pick.
                    Should have known, way back in 1960 when we drafted Richie Lucas Number 1, that this would be a long, hard ride. But who could have known it would be THIS bad?

Comment

• Beastie Bills
                      Senior Zoner
                      • Mar 2009

Originally posted by Mahdi
                      What did you see in college that tells you he is not an every down DE?
                      I watched some Penn St. games, not all of them, but I just don't think he'll be big/strong enough to make an impact on running plays.

Comment

• Mahdi
                        • Mar 2004

If he can successfully transition to OLB, I would be happy. Because, as it stands now, we may need to take an OLB early next season. I'm starting to have doubts in Mitchell, and Ellison is obviously not the answer. But if Maybin could play OLB, and we then take a DE early next year, we should be in good shape.
                        So take a player that has all the tools to be a dominant pass rusher and turn him into a Cover 2 LB?.....

Comment

• Beastie Bills
                          Senior Zoner
                          • Mar 2009

Originally posted by Mahdi
                          So take a player that has all the tools to be a dominant pass rusher and turn him into a Cover 2 LB?.....
                          If we draft a DE next year, and we have Schobel and this rookie as our two DE's, then I would want Maybin on the field somewhere. I wouldn't mind having a rotation of guys at DE and OLB.

Comment

• Mahdi
                            • Mar 2004

I watched some Penn St. games, not all of them, but I just don't think he'll be big/strong enough to make an impact on running plays.
                            Did you know that Penn State was 4th best run defense in the country. You think Maybin had nothing to do with that.

Also, the Bills coaches in their post draft PC said that one of his strengths was anchoring down against OTs in the run game.

Really your speculation about being too small or too weak has no basis.

There are smaller DEs in the league than Maybin who are succeeding. Size means absolutely nothing, its how you play the game.

Brees is 6'0 and is one of the best QBs in the game. Leftwich is huge and has a rocket arm... who would you take?

The advantage Maybin will always have even if he never reaches 275 pounds is the length of his arms. He will always be able to keep OTs off of him.
                            Last edited by Mahdi; 08-11-2009, 09:51 AM.

Comment

• Mahdi
                              • Mar 2004

If we draft a DE next year, and we have Schobel and this rookie as our two DE's, then I would want Maybin on the field somewhere. I wouldn't mind having a rotation of guys at DE and OLB.
                              We definitely do need another DE next year but not to replace Maybin. To complement him because IMO this is Schobel's last year as a full time DE. He should be used situationaly next year.

Comment

Working...
                              X