PDA

View Full Version : Levitre had a good game???

X-Era
08-11-2009, 03:36 PM
At first glance I thought it was just Chris Brown that was smoking crack... turns out theres more:

http://blogs.buffalobills.com/2009/08/11/levitre-grades-out-well-vs-titans/

bigbub2352
08-11-2009, 03:43 PM
If u watch him play outside of the play getting driven back he did have a good game, plus this is his first time playing NFL action at G so give the guy a leash
He is gonna be better than anything Dockery did for us
so lets just wait and see
but it was nice to see Olineman Wood Levitre Bell Scott and McKinney and hangartner moving out on screens and pulls and traps we havent see nthat here in a long time

DraftBoy
08-11-2009, 03:52 PM
What is CB's job? Its to make the Bills and there players look good.

X-Era
08-11-2009, 03:53 PM
If u watch him play outside of the play getting driven back he did have a good game, plus this is his first time playing NFL action at G so give the guy a leash
He is gonna be better than anything Dockery did for us
so lets just wait and see
but it was nice to see Olineman Wood Levitre Bell Scott and McKinney and hangartner moving out on screens and pulls and traps we havent see nthat here in a long time

Well, what I saw was him get blown back repeatedly. Thats what I saw.

As far as leash goes... sure. Absolutely, its one pre-season game. He has four more to learn to be solid. If he doesn't, his play may affect our results for the upcoming season.

Yasgur's Farm
08-11-2009, 03:55 PM
I rewatched... Levitre had a pretty good game IMO. I guess my opinion is worth anybody elses opinion on this site.

BTW... I only saw him get "blown back" that 1 time... The DT got under him.

DraftBoy
08-11-2009, 03:55 PM
The game replays tonight I think on NFLN for those that want to catch it again.

yordad
08-11-2009, 03:57 PM
Like I said in a different post, he did get some second level blocks in. He moves pretty good, although I think he could use more power.

yordad
08-11-2009, 03:58 PM
I rewatched... Levitre had a pretty good game IMO. I guess my opinion is worth anybody elses opinion on this site.

BTW... I only saw him get "blown back" that 1 time... The DT got under him.I disagree....... your opinion is worth more then most. :snicker:

SABURZFAN
08-11-2009, 04:41 PM

BTW... I only saw him get "blown back" that 1 time... The DT got under him.

you're a Chris Brown disciple anyways. keep drinking the kool-aid and put on the rose-colored glasses. i was 20-25 yards away from the action when they were near the goalline twice. Levitre didn't do anything spectacular.

anyways, Levitre has 4 more games to get his act together and work out the bugs. we need him to be effective when the games really count.

OpIv37
08-11-2009, 04:43 PM
I thought he looked ****ty against Tennessee's starters but decent against the back ups. Considering the starters played less than a quarter, I could see how he grades well overall. Still, he has a long way to go.

SABURZFAN
08-11-2009, 04:44 PM
I thought he looked ****ty against Tennessee's starters but decent against the back ups. Considering the starters played less than a quarter, I could see how he grades well overall. Still, he has a long way to go.

:bf1:

mayotm
08-11-2009, 05:00 PM
I thought he looked ****ty against Tennessee's starters but decent against the back ups. Considering the starters played less than a quarter, I could see how he grades well overall. Still, he has a long way to go.Fair enough. However, it's quite different than some of the posts suggesting Levitre absolutely sucked and was getting blown up the entire game. I re-watched the game and didn't think he was too bad.

Yasgur's Farm
08-11-2009, 06:00 PM
Fair enough. However, it's quite different than some of the posts suggesting Levitre absolutely sucked and was getting blown up the entire game. I re-watched the game and didn't think he was too bad.Exactly my point... For some, if they don't play like all pros they simply suck and get run outta town on the bust rails.

And SAB... How have I ever given any indication at all that I'm a CB disciple? I just calls em likes I sees em... Soetimes right, sometimes wrong... JUST LIKE THE REST OF YA'LL. :tricycle:

billsfanone
08-11-2009, 08:02 PM
I rewatched the 1st half. He really did make that one mistake from what I saw.

X-Era
08-11-2009, 09:09 PM
I rewatched the 1st half. He really did make that one mistake from what I saw.

That was the blatant mistake. What I watched more closely was his technique and he was often getting caught high and getting pushed back. DB commented on it too.

ServoBillieves
08-11-2009, 10:25 PM
Watched the game again, Levitre had some trouble with leverage. Coming from being a pure tackle, it's understandable, since the tackle and DE are the last to hear the call. When the tackle initially knows the play is coming, it's not as close as he was to the QB.

Excuse? No, I just work with football a lot and it's a true statement. Even if you know the cadence, you still can't predict audibles and so on, the guy got blasted a few times, but when he was fundamentally sound he did a great job.

Hopefully through practices and preseason games against players other than Johnson/McCargo, he'll learn to beat players above their level.

Typ0
08-11-2009, 11:03 PM
and he's going to get burned sometimes. you have to live with that with rookies.

Watched the game again, Levitre had some trouble with leverage. Coming from being a pure tackle, it's understandable, since the tackle and DE are the last to hear the call. When the tackle initially knows the play is coming, it's not as close as he was to the QB.

Excuse? No, I just work with football a lot and it's a true statement. Even if you know the cadence, you still can't predict audibles and so on, the guy got blasted a few times, but when he was fundamentally sound he did a great job.

Hopefully through practices and preseason games against players other than Johnson/McCargo, he'll learn to beat players above their level.

Al the Bills Fan
08-12-2009, 12:02 AM
I watched the game again tonight..

It is no secret that he struggled BUT he certainly didn't struggle as badly as some here have suggested. There is nothing that can be said about the play where he got driven back into Trent, it was UGLY. It was just a case of one man dominating another. As for the rest of the game...it seemed (to me) as though he had trouble staying low and gaining leverage. There were a few plays that he was playing way to tall and the defender got under him and gave him trouble. Playing the O-line is all about proper footwork and leverage! His footwork seemed good to me, he really struggled with staying low. He really did seem to settle into the game as time went by, is this because the Titans first stringers only played the 1st quarter? Quite possibly, could be that his nerves were settling a bit too. If I had to grade his performance I would give him a C, he certainly has more to work on But it wasn't all bad. Keep in mind that this was his first wave of NFL action, he will only get better with more reps.

jamze132
08-12-2009, 12:07 AM
Levitre didn't do anything spectacular.

And that right there is the standard for a player in Buffalo over the past 9+ years. As long as they don't do anything stupid, they get a passing grade. So all of these players that re-watch their game on Tuesday think they are doing awesome but in reality, they lick ass tulips.

X-Era
08-12-2009, 05:33 AM
I hope no one took me wrong here.

I think he played average for a rookie. Not average for a solid vet, a rookie. He made mistakes, and also made some good plays. I noticed a technique issue with his leverage, as did others.

Does he suck? No. Is he a solid LG yet in this NFL, No.

More importantly, its this rookies first pre-season game. If there is a time to play up and down, and work out your game, its now.

But what I called attention to is CB and even Kugler saying he graded out well. I hope that this performance by him isnt all we excpect from our OL. I hope we want more. It could just be defense of a rookie, but Id like to see something like, "he made mistakes, but thats what the preseason is for, and he will get better".

NOT, "He had one of the highest offensive line grades of all the linemen in that game."

DraftBoy
08-12-2009, 07:41 AM
I dont think he had a good game or even an average game. He was solid v. backups but destroyed against the starters he'll be playing for more than just a series come Week 1. He played with extremely poor technique. He has to correct this if he wants to be our LG starter come week 1.

Jan Reimers
08-12-2009, 08:11 AM
I know I will be excoriated for saying "it's early," because most of us are so frustrated from our failures over the last 9 seasons that we don't want excuses, but it WAS Levitre's first game as a pro.

Did we expect - because the game was in Canton - an All Pro performance from a raw rookie, who was playing a new position, besides?

Did he make mistakes? Certainly. Did he play so poorly that we should write him off? Certainly not.

I think a lot of fans on here - including me at times - are so pissed over our long-time mediocrity that we just project those past failures onto every situation.

methos4ever
08-12-2009, 09:06 AM
And to me, the one play he's been villified for I actually applaud him for - because the illegal hands to the from the DT would have sent some of our other LG's sprawling into Trent, and imagine what would have been the case if THAT happened?

He's raw. He'll learn. We just have to be patient.

DraftBoy
08-12-2009, 09:37 AM
The issue I have specifically is not with him making rookie mistakes though its very basic hand placement techniques you learn as a youngster in some cases. Pros (rookies or not) should not be struggling with basics like he did on Sunday night.

psubills62
08-12-2009, 11:07 AM
There was a poster on the bb.com message boards that mentioned a part of the game that I haven't really seen anyone else on here talk about: the mental part.

From what I saw (though I wasn't paying really close attention), there weren't many missed assignments. For having two rookies in their first NFL action, that pretty impressive. Maybe Levitre didn't have good technique or very good power. Maybe he did get driven back. But the fact that the OL communicated very well this early on with some young pieces is pretty incredible, especially when you consider that the offense went no-huddle the entire game.

I would have to think that that is a part of why Levitre graded out well in Kugler's book. Levitre wasn't great, but he could have been a lot worse for being a rookie in his first game.

billsfanone
08-12-2009, 11:52 AM
The issue I have specifically is not with him making rookie mistakes though its very basic hand placement techniques you learn as a youngster in some cases. Pros (rookies or not) should not be struggling with basics like he did on Sunday night.

Tell us honestly that you can see in that level of detail on the regular broadcast game feed we were all watching. I call BS big time unless you've spent hours re-watching and you have one of those rewind/play wheels that they use to analyze game footage.

DraftBoy
08-12-2009, 11:58 AM
Tell us honestly that you can see in that level of detail on the regular broadcast game feed we were all watching. I call BS big time unless you've spent hours re-watching and you have one of those rewind/play wheels that they use to analyze game footage.

You never played or coached organized football have you?

Its not tough to see what Im talking about, its hand placement, the camera doesnt pan that fast, plus if you have a simple DVR you can see it. Call BS if you want, I wasn't the only one noticing it.

billsfanone
08-12-2009, 12:37 PM
You never played or coached organized football have you?

Its not tough to see what Im talking about, its hand placement, the camera doesnt pan that fast, plus if you have a simple DVR you can see it. Call BS if you want, I wasn't the only one noticing it.

So I was right. Please stop with your **** don't stink attitude.

DraftBoy
08-12-2009, 12:39 PM
So I was right. Please stop with your **** don't stink attitude.

:rofl:

Took less than a week, Im impressed.

Anyways back to people who actually want to discuss the game and Levitre...

BillsWin
08-12-2009, 01:01 PM
he wouldnt be a pro bowler without the Bills. He should show some respect.