• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • The Juice Is Loose
    All-Pro Zoner
    • Feb 2009

I stand by opinion

With all these Maybin posts lately, I myself have been getting emotional about it...I see a lot of negative criticism being directed at our front office for the selection. Whether the gripe is choosing Maybin over Orakpo, or just selecting him period...all points at least make sense.

I myself have been everything short of crucified for taking the position that the Bills should say fairwell to Maybin all together.

The crazy thing is, the more I think about it, the more I think we should.

A. Save a large cap number on a player that is a square peg in our defense. Period. Too small to play DE, to rigid and stiff, as I've read in a lot of places, to play LB. He's now supposedly 250, but has never played actual football at 250.

B. Doesn't have any college resume as far as production or highlights. The draft, as has been proven over and over, is a crap shoot. Everybody knows it. You think that teams aren't aware that half of these players aren't going to pan out?

C. The draft class was terrible this year. Tons of people were afraid of Orakpo, and we still haven't seen him play in a game. I myself was afraid to select Orakpo.

D. Everything negative is being compounded by this holdout. A few days, you guys argued against me as it being all "slotting" and coming in "due time"...it's now been a long time. For a "raw" guy, is his desire to play football or make money? The logic with slotting based on Orakpo's deal vs. the slotting in 08 makes perfect sense to me. It was McKelvin's contract last year. How can we not manage this? At some point something has to break. Is he in a douche bag contest with Michael Crabtree?

ARE YOU SERIOUSLY TELLING ME THAT CRABTREE MUST SIGN FIRST?!?! Why not Maybin sign first.

E. Eugene Parker. Our track record with this guy is known by just about all of us. Even negative and positive posters would agree on this one issue. Eugene Parker is the Osama Bin Laden of the Buffalo Bills. We know we hate him, but we can't even offer him a contract over the last two years?! This guys negotiating tactic is to ignore the team?!

The benefits: Given the chances of Maybin contributing in 09, there is no real reason to bring him on. This saves valuble money for next years much richer draft. I don't think if Jauron got fired Brandon necessarily would. So why would Brandon not want to save future money and cap space?

It would set a precedent for all teams with getting hosed by rookies year in and year out, without having to get union or owner approval. It would be like a protest of sorts.

We have a great chance to hit a home run on our other first round pick, Eric "In Camp" Wood and Andy "Practicing Often" Levitre. Maybin is more concerned with texting "GOOD MORNING AMERICA" at 10:30pm. HIs teammates are already done with team funtions by then.

(Quick note on free agency) A lot of people feel we should have taken a D end in free agency. But who? And who else later in the draft? That would be a serious contributor in 2009?

This whole season rides on Trent and the o line. It's either a home run or the hindenburgh. Either way, I'd say Brandon would stick around and would be the guy with the cojones to go after a big named coach.

Look, my main point is that there are times in this league when a younger guy figures things out some and has a lot of history to go on. Russ Brandon has a chance at that. As I said before, I think he'd be retained no matter how this season went. He had the nuts to get TO. He's making the team money. Donahoe got 3 coaches, right?

Not only that, but Maybin would be afraid to call their bluff and would beg to sign if he bought it. Not that we'd be bluffing but to say "THIS RIGHT HERE IS OUR FINAL OFFER. TAKE IT OR GOOD LUCK IN 2010." What would that say?

That is what needs to be done.

Sorry its a little rambly but I'm just very sold on the desicion.
    Last edited by The Juice Is Loose; 08-12-2009, 12:33 AM.
  • Buffalogic
    Rumblin' Stumblin' Bumblin'
    • Feb 2006

Re: I stand by opinion

Throwing away the number 11 overall pick and not getting a highly touted rookie or a worthy veteran player would be suicidal.

Comment

• Romes
      • Jul 2002

If you really did know that Maybin will not contribute this year or ever. Then of course don't waste the money or put up with the headache.

Big problem with your arguement is that you do not know that. No matter how convinced you think you are.
      Originally posted by paladin warrior
      RALPH is drove me nut.

Comment

• ServoBillieves
        The Voice of Reason
        • Jul 2007

Originally posted by HargroveforMVP
        major problem is that he nor any of us know what Maybin will do this year. I lose a lot of respect for someone who thinks they know something about a rookie who they know 0 about. Guy could be mediocre, could be great.

Not in camp means he'll lose a lot, but doesn't mean his value may fail on the field. Might be the next Phil Hansen, might be the next Erik Flowers. Let's please wait for the seasons to come to see what's to come.

Kthx.
        Bye Bye Brady...

Comment

• ServoBillieves
          The Voice of Reason
          • Jul 2007

post was better than that, but msg is lost cause of editorial crap the site lost and I messed up. Sole point being Maybin is no where near judgemental at this point. No rookie is. He may be late, I may be high on everyone above him, but for a first rounder you can peg him Flowers or Schobel incarnate now, I don't care, when he proves on the feild then I'll care.
          Bye Bye Brady...

Comment

• Nighthawk
            Getting old waiting for a championship in Buffalo!
            • Jul 2002

Originally posted by The Juice Is Loose
            With all these Maybin posts lately, I myself have been getting emotional about it...I see a lot of negative criticism being directed at our front office for the selection. Whether the gripe is choosing Maybin over Orakpo, or just selecting him period...all points at least make sense.

I myself have been everything short of crucified for taking the position that the Bills should say fairwell to Maybin all together.

A. Save a large cap number on a player that is a square peg in our defense. Period. Too small to play DE, to rigid and stiff, as I've read in a lot of places, to play LB. He's now supposedly 250, but has never played actual football at 250.

B. Doesn't have any college resume as far as production or highlights. The draft, as has been proven over and over, is a crap shoot. Everybody knows it. You think that teams aren't aware that half of these players aren't going to pan out?

C. The draft class was terrible this year. Tons of people were afraid of Orakpo, and we still haven't seen him play in a game. I myself was afraid to select Orakpo.

D. Everything negative is being compounded by this holdout. A few days, you guys argued against me as it being all "slotting" and coming in "due time"...it's now been a long time. For a "raw" guy, is his desire to play football or make money? The logic with slotting based on Orakpo's deal vs. the slotting in 08 makes perfect sense to me. It was McKelvin's contract last year. How can we not manage this? At some point something has to break. Is he in a douche bag contest with Michael Crabtree?

ARE YOU SERIOUSLY TELLING ME THAT CRABTREE MUST SIGN FIRST?!?! Why not Maybin sign first.

E. Eugene Parker. Our track record with this guy is known by just about all of us. Even negative and positive posters would agree on this one issue. Eugene Parker is the Osama Bin Laden of the Buffalo Bills. We know we hate him, but we can't even offer him a contract over the last two years?! This guys negotiating tactic is to ignore the team?!

The benefits: Given the chances of Maybin contributing in 09, there is no real reason to bring him on. This saves valuble money for next years much richer draft. I don't think if Jauron got fired Brandon necessarily would. So why would Brandon not want to save future money and cap space?

It would set a precedent for all teams with getting hosed by rookies year in and year out, without having to get union or owner approval. It would be like a protest of sorts.

We have a great chance to hit a home run on our other first round pick, Eric "In Camp" Wood and Andy "Practicing Often" Levitre. Maybin is more concerned with texting "GOOD MORNING AMERICA" at 10:30pm. HIs teammates are already done with team funtions by then.

(Quick note on free agency) A lot of people feel we should have taken a D end in free agency. But who? And who else later in the draft? That would be a serious contributor in 2009?

This whole season rides on Trent and the o line. It's either a home run or the hindenburgh. Either way, I'd say Brandon would stick around and would be the guy with the cojones to go after a big named coach.

Look, my main point is that there are times in this league when a younger guy figures things out some and has a lot of history to go on. Russ Brandon has a chance at that. As I said before, I think he'd be retained no matter how this season went. He had the nuts to get TO. He's making the team money. Donahoe got 3 coaches, right?

Not only that, but Maybin would be afraid to call their bluff and would beg to sign if he bought it. Not that we'd be bluffing but to say "THIS RIGHT HERE IS OUR FINAL OFFER. TAKE IT OR GOOD LUCK IN 2010." What would that say?

Blah, blah, blah...same ignorant post as always.

Comment

• gil
              • Mar 2005

I think the chances of that happening and the chances of TO riding into practice on a magical sparkly unicorn are about the same, so keep on posting the idea - but it's not going to happen.

Actually, TO on the magical unicorn might be more likely.

Comment

• Jan Reimers
                Thank You, Terry and Kim, for Saving the Bills. Now, Work on the Sabres.
                • May 2003

The Bills - and other teams - felt that Maybin was the best, or one of the best, pass rushers in the draft. No team is going to draft a guy number 11 overall, and then let him walk away because they are having a problem signing him.

No team can be certain how any draft pick is going to perform, but no team is going to let a first round pick walk before he even puts on pads, either.
                Should have known, way back in 1960 when we drafted Richie Lucas Number 1, that this would be a long, hard ride. But who could have known it would be THIS bad?

Comment

• mayotm
                  • Jul 2003

You are entitiled to your opinion, however very few people around here care about your opinion. Letting him walk because he hasn't signed yet would moronic. Your opinion is simply insane.

Comment

• THATHURMANATOR
                    • Jul 2002

Horrible post.... Sorry you wasted so much time on it..... Not signing our first pick.... WOW

Comment

• BlackMetalNinja
                      I'm not Jewish, I'm just in it for the hats.
                      • May 2005

Wow, have people on this board never seen a player hold out before? This is nothing new for crying out loud...

Comment

• THATHURMANATOR
                        • Jul 2002

Originally posted by BlackMetalNinja
                        Wow, have people on this board never seen a player hold out before? This is nothing new for crying out loud...
                        I don't know what is with these guys..

They have Emotional Sickness.

Comment

• billsfanone
                          Majored in Home Economics
                          • Sep 2008

Look what the Patriots did. I know they are in a better position to do it, but I wouldn't have minded trading this pick for more later round picks.

Comment

• jdbillsfan
                            • Oct 2002

I believe his agent is Joel Segal sp? not Eugene Parker.

Comment

• SABURZFAN
                              short bus extraordinaire
                              • Jul 2002

Originally posted by BlackMetalNinja

people have grown tired of the Bills situation for the last decade. it's not surprising that some people are quick to criticize a situation like this.
                              Last edited by SABURZFAN; 08-12-2009, 09:14 AM.
                              Originally posted by yordad
                              Christ, you are the queerest person in the history of Bills fanhood. I swear to god I would stomp you.

Comment

Working...
                              X