• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ronholm78
    • Mar 2006

Bills "sniffing around" on backup quarterbacks

Posted by Gregg Rosenthal on August 12, 2009 3:15 PM ET
    When examining possible destinations for Michael Vick, it makes sense to look at franchises with weak backup quarterback situations.

That's why Baltimore, Philadelphia, and San Francisco don't pass the sniff test.

The Bills, on the other hand, are showing signs they could be looking for an upgrade.

According to NFL Network's Jason LaCanfora, the Bills have been "sniffing around" on backup quarterbacks. Their current option is Ryan Fitzpatrick, who adds to Buffalo's group of Ivy league graduates, but didn't exactly cover himself in glory in 12 starts last year for the Bengals.

LaCanfora also points out that owner Ralph Wilson added Terrell Owens partly to raise the team's profile. T.O. and Vick on the same team would certainly accomplish that.

The Bills have practiced almost exclusively in the no huddle during camp, and I'll let the readers and league insiders out there decide if Vick would be a good fit for that offense. He couldn't be much more different in profile from Edwards and Fitzpatrick.

Still, with the Bears rumors dampened, where are the interested teams that have made Vick's camp so confident a deal is near?

Considering the ownership and depth chart, Buffalo makes as much sense as any team, along with the Packers. And the situation may be attractive to Vick because of the smaller media market, not to mention Edwards' long injury history.

After slipping the Owens contract under the radar until it was signed, perhaps the Bills could pull it off again with Vick.
    From Grand Forks to Buffalo.....Bills #78 Lives forever!!!
  • The Juice Is Loose
    All-Pro Zoner
    • Feb 2009

Re: Bills "sniffing around" on backup quarterbacks

Sometimes I hate PFT.

If they were "sniffing around" someone and you had a report of it, there would be a player mentioned.

If they are sniffing around anybody, it better be Brian Griese.

Comment

• DMBcrew36
      • Feb 2005

Did you write this? Cause you provided no link.

Comment

• Lexwhat
        • Feb 2005

These are coming from NFL.com, not PFT

The official source for NFL news, video highlights, fantasy football, game-day coverage, schedules, stats, scores and more.

Green Bay – The team hasn’t ruled it out, the lack of distractions off the field in this city and playing in such a small market could aid his transition back to the league and soften some of the PR issues. Several league sources maintain the Packers are one of the teams to have reached out to Vick.

Buffalo – The Bills have been sniffing around on back-up quarterbacks, according to sources, owner Ralph Wilson, Jr has talked openly about how signing T.O. was done at least in part to raise the profile of the small-market club. Again, Vick would be out of the spotlight, depending on how Trent Edwards performs he might have a shot to start down the road and the team continues to look at ways to get more diverse on offense and spread teams more.

Oakland - Al Davis is the kind of owner who would not flinch in the face of any PR issues. The Raiders need a spark on offense and are unsettled at quarterback. It would be a quintessential Raiders move.

Pittsburgh - Some say no way, and perhaps they are right. But there are enough reasons to at least monitor this situation (Tony Dungy’s ties to the team, Mike Tomlin’s ties to Vick’s hometown, Commissioner Roger Goodell’s ties to the Rooney family, and their history of being in lockstep with league initiatives (the Rooney Rule), the fact they have employed “Slash” type players in the past, Charlie Batch’s age/injury history.

Comment

• Mr. Pink
          Peterman Sucks!
          • Mar 2006

FREE MICHAEL VICK!

Comment

• X-Era
            What this generation tolerates, the next generation will embrace
            • Feb 2005

Originally posted by ronholm78

Posted by Gregg Rosenthal on August 12, 2009 3:15 PM ET
            When examining possible destinations for Michael Vick, it makes sense to look at franchises with weak backup quarterback situations.

That's why Baltimore, Philadelphia, and San Francisco don't pass the sniff test.

The Bills, on the other hand, are showing signs they could be looking for an upgrade.

According to NFL Network's Jason LaCanfora, the Bills have been "sniffing around" on backup quarterbacks. Their current option is Ryan Fitzpatrick, who adds to Buffalo's group of Ivy league graduates, but didn't exactly cover himself in glory in 12 starts last year for the Bengals.

LaCanfora also points out that owner Ralph Wilson added Terrell Owens partly to raise the team's profile. T.O. and Vick on the same team would certainly accomplish that.

The Bills have practiced almost exclusively in the no huddle during camp, and I'll let the readers and league insiders out there decide if Vick would be a good fit for that offense. He couldn't be much more different in profile from Edwards and Fitzpatrick.

Still, with the Bears rumors dampened, where are the interested teams that have made Vick's camp so confident a deal is near?

Considering the ownership and depth chart, Buffalo makes as much sense as any team, along with the Packers. And the situation may be attractive to Vick because of the smaller media market, not to mention Edwards' long injury history.

After slipping the Owens contract under the radar until it was signed, perhaps the Bills could pull it off again with Vick.
            So, I will admit that I have been reading the rumors on BB.com for Vick news several times a day since last week. I am very much thinking we are serious players in this situation.

I hate the distraction it will bring.

I hate what it says about how we value character.

But I love what he can bring to our backup position.

And I am now firmly convinced we need an upgrade to Fitzpatrick.

I'm am now an advocate for an upgrade at backup QB, and yes that includes Mike Vick.
            Last edited by X-Era; 08-12-2009, 03:34 PM.

Comment

• Mr. Pink
              Peterman Sucks!
              • Mar 2006

Character?

Whitner? McIntire - even though it was false? Ko? TO? Lynch? Rhodes?

Those are just a few examples of guys with "character issues" on these team today. I don't think signing Vick should make anyone think any differently about how this team gets character players only.

No team cares about "character" they generally care about winning.

Comment

• justasportsfan
                • Jul 2002

I'm starting to warm up to the idea about Vick after watching Fitz. He'll only command a years supply of hotdogs.
                sacrifice1
                https://theinterviewwithgod.com/video/

Comment

• X-Era
                  • Feb 2005

Originally posted by FunTimesYaY!
                  Character?

Whitner? McIntire - even though it was false? Ko? TO? Lynch? Rhodes?

Those are just a few examples of guys with "character issues" on these team today. I don't think signing Vick should make anyone think any differently about how this team gets character players only.

No team cares about "character" they generally care about winning.
                  Did any of these guys go to jail for 2+ years for anything? Were any of them household names besides TO who hasn't committed any crime?

Nah, we cant deny that the guy has off the field crap that people will hate and protest about... Thats gonna happen.

Comment

• X-Era
                    • Feb 2005

Originally posted by justasportsfan
                    I'm starting to warm up to the idea about Vick after watching Fitz. He'll only command a years supply of hotdogs.
                    The rumor is he wants starter money.

Comment

• Mr. Pink
                      Peterman Sucks!
                      • Mar 2006

Originally posted by EdwardsEra
                      Did any of these guys go to jail for 2+ years for anything? Were any of them household names besides TO who hasn't committed any crime?

Nah, we cant deny that the guy has off the field crap that people will hate and protest about... Thats gonna happen.
                      Character issues are more than just off the field problems.

Anyone will say Ocho Cinco has character issues yet he's never been arrested either.

So now character issues are only measured by jail time?

Does that mean a player like Jamal Lewis has less character issues than Michael Vick? How about Ray Lewis vs Vick?

Comment

• Yasgur's Farm
                        • Feb 2005

Chris Brown
                        Posted August 12th, 2009
                        Tags: Brian Griese, Gus Frerotte, Michael Vick

According to NFL Network reporter Jason LaCanfora the Bills are exploring their options at quarterback behind Trent Edwards.
                        He says the Bills are “sniffing around” for backup options at quarterback. This naturally has everyone speculating that Buffalo may have an interest in Michael Vick.
                        I don’t see the Bills bringing Vick to Buffalo. It would undermine the commitment and investment in time that they’ve made to Edwards. Brian Griese or Gus Frerotte however, are available options.
                        I’m not saying I know they’re looking around, but if LaCanfora’s sources are giving him accurate information then I think those veterans are more likely options for Buffalo than Vick.

Comment

• SABURZFAN
                          short bus extraordinaire
                          • Jul 2002

i think Hamdan should be #2 on the depth chart. Fitz is good enough for #3. we don't need a QB. i don't give a **** what Chris Brown says.
                          Originally posted by yordad
                          Christ, you are the queerest person in the history of Bills fanhood. I swear to god I would stomp you.

Comment

• X-Era
                            • Feb 2005

Originally posted by FunTimesYaY!
                            Character issues are more than just off the field problems.

Anyone will say Ocho Cinco has character issues yet he's never been arrested either.

So now character issues are only measured by jail time?

Does that mean a player like Jamal Lewis has less character issues than Michael Vick? How about Ray Lewis vs Vick?
                            My comment wasn't meant to expand the issue of what construes "character issues".

Whether you or I have a problem with him and what hes done isnt the issue Im raising. Many will, and they will make a huge deal about it every time he enters the public eye around Buffalo. My point is, are we going to be happy as Buffalo fans dealing with the negative crap that his arrival would bring?

Will you be just fine and have no issue with going to a game and going by protestors throwing a hissy fit about Vick as you enter the stadium? Or hearing on the radio and TV about Vick and all the stuff related to his crime?

Comment

• X-Era
                              • Feb 2005

I hope to hell we don't get Ferrotte. Has that guy ever done anything at all? At least Griese had a good run in Den.

Comment

Working...
                              X