• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Bufftp
    Hi Dave!

Administrator Emeritus
    • Jul 2002

The Tony Dungy factor and Vick

Rumors abound that Vick might sign in Buffalo. One might expect a lot fans to upset if he does, considering his past.

Tony Dungy is mentoring Vick right now for the NFL. Dungy has spoken well of Vick. I admire Dungy a great deal. I don't believe that Dungy would vouch for Vick if he didn't believe what he was saying.

We all sin and fall short of the Glory of God. God forgives if we repent (surrender all to him), and restores us.

So with Dungy vouching for Vick, I am ok if we sign him, and pray that Vick makes the best of his oppurtinity. Bottom line we all need mercy and redemption to say otherwise would be hypocritical. If he signs with us I hope that we afford him that grace.
    Last edited by Bufftp; 08-13-2009, 04:19 PM.
    Photobucket

In the end, there are only three liberal archetypes: The fools, the beneficiaries and the crooks.
    "If you build a man a fire, he'll be warm for a day, but if you set a man on fire, he'll be warm for the rest of his life"
    Optyimus Ignorus Realityious!

"Let every nation know, whether it wishes us well or ill, that we shall pay any price, bear any burden, meet any hardship, support any friend, oppose any foe, to assure the survival and the success of liberty.
    - John F. Kennedy, January 20, 1961

To live in the presence of great truths and eternal laws,
    to be led by permanent ideals -
    that is what keeps a man patient
    when the world ignores him,
    and calm and unspoiled when the world praises him. -- Honore De Balzac

• THATHURMANATOR
    • Jul 2002

Re: The Tony Dungy factor and Vick

Comment

• Night Train
      Retired - On Several Levels
      • Jul 2005

Much like Owens, I wouldn't initially be happy but I wouldn't boo the guy to tears upon him taking the field.

These athletes play football and few can split the atom.. let alone spell atom. So holding them in some unrealistic light is silly. They're all mercenaries, wearing our jersey for a season or 2 and little else.

Still, what Vick did was pretty darn bad and I don't blame anyone that's ever owned a dog for resenting his presence.
      Anonymity is an abused privilege, abused most by people who mistake vitriol for wisdom and cynicism for wit

Comment

• Jan Reimers
        Thank You, Terry and Kim, for Saving the Bills. Now, Work on the Sabres.
        • May 2003

I know I should be able to at least accept Vick (it is God's place to forgive him), but I'm sitting here with my two loving, trusting, and loyal greyhounds, and wondering how a human being could do the things he did.
        Should have known, way back in 1960 when we drafted Richie Lucas Number 1, that this would be a long, hard ride. But who could have known it would be THIS bad?

Comment

• don137
          • Jul 2002

I am just not sure if Vick is good for this offense. He seems to be a better version of JP Losman with great arm strength, very pedestrian on short and medium passes and not a cerebral QB. He excels JP by a long shot in his scrambling ability.
          I think this team needs a smart thinking QB with a great short and medium pass.

Comment

• realdealryan
            realdealrex
            • Nov 2005

Originally posted by Jan Reimers
            I know I should be able to at least accept Vick (it is God's place to forgive him), but I'm sitting here with my two loving, trusting, and loyal greyhounds, and wondering how a human being could do the things he did.
            Exactly. His time has been served and he can return to society, clearly. But like those with children can't ever look at someone who molested a child the same, I can't ever see him in the same light. Whatever your faith - forgive him, let him work, etc......all of that is fine.

But you have to be a psychopath to do those things to a dog, even if it was, as some people here might like to think, in his past.

Comment

• Typ0
              honey pie
              • Jul 2002

I think you have to consider the environment someone was raised in and if anyone ever really taught them right from wrong. I don't know the specific circumstances but if someones family taught them it was OK to steal and they shoplift a pack of gum I'm not going to be surprised and going to give the process of reeducating them a chance. Vick is a tremendous talent and could help us win football games which we need to do. As I have said before give the kid a chance he's going to be more mature now and it might just work out in the long term. If not, it's not a relationship that can't be severed in the future.

Comment

• realdealryan
                realdealrex
                • Nov 2005

Originally posted by don137
                I am just not sure if Vick is good for this offense. He seems to be a better version of JP Losman with great arm strength, very pedestrian on short and medium passes and not a cerebral QB. He excels JP by a long shot in his scrambling ability.
                I think this team needs a smart thinking QB with a great short and medium pass.
                Yeah, Tony Dungy is appealing to Christian forgiveness, NOT how well he could run our new no-huddle offense, which I assume is beyond his grasp based on his past performance. We need a real #2 that can step in.

Comment

• Jan Reimers
                  • May 2003

Originally posted by Typ0
                  I think you have to consider the environment someone was raised in and if anyone ever really taught them right from wrong. I don't know the specific circumstances but if someones family taught them it was OK to steal and they shoplift a pack of gum I'm not going to be surprised and going to give the process of reeducating them a chance. Vick is a tremendous talent and could help us win football games which we need to do. As I have said before give the kid a chance he's going to be more mature now and it might just work out in the long term. If not, it's not a relationship that can't be severed in the future.
                  I don't see torturing and killing dogs as immaturity, or the product of a bad environment. I think it is the evil, cold blooded work of a psychopath.
                  Should have known, way back in 1960 when we drafted Richie Lucas Number 1, that this would be a long, hard ride. But who could have known it would be THIS bad?

Comment

• Typ0
                    honey pie
                    • Jul 2002

I don't see torturing and killing dogs as immaturity, or the product of a bad environment. I think it is the evil, cold blooded work of a psychopath.
                    Not if it's behavior they learned from a culture that was built around them when they were a kid. It's OK if you don't know any other way. It's also not an uncommon thing like a lot of people think. Dog fighting rings are very prevalent in the south it's just usually not high profile like the Vick case was. It was wrong. He seems to be demonstrating he understands it was wrong now. These are the events of a young kid in his 20s not a mature adult. I know I made a lot of mistakes in my 20s and it probably would have been a lot worse had I not come from a good family.

Comment

• realdealryan
                      realdealrex
                      • Nov 2005

Originally posted by Typ0
                      Environment only plays a part. Without going too far OT - if every single person who read the Koran followed the teachings of this environment 100%, every Muslim would be trying to kill nonbelievers. There's something there in humanity that causes them to back it down a notch while adhering to the rest of the book strictly. Most humans are naturally good; some are capable of a lot worse.

Comment

• M
                        • Aug 2006

And I'm thinking the only reason he is "sorry" is that he got caught. And please, nobody tell me that Vick didn't think he was doing anything wrong/illegal.
                        Let's Go Bills ... B B B B B B Bills!

Comment

• Jan Reimers
                          • May 2003

If anyone can look into the eyes of an innocent dog and electrocute it, drown it, or strangle it, there is something wrong with that person's heart. Vick didn't just finance dog fighting, he engaged in hands on maiming and murder. I think this kind of unfeeling, uncaring, insane behavior goes far beyond immaturity or environment.

Comment

• Meathead
                            Insufferable prick and perpetual crybaby
                            • Jul 2002

possibly. but youre also not giving enough credit to the possibility of real transformation. it might be rare but even the most vile of criminals has the potential for a personal salvation
                            One set of rules for all in the beloved community

Comment

• Jan Reimers
                              • May 2003

You're right, and so are Typo and Pastor Ted. I know that people can change, and I'm usually not this judgmental. But as a dog lover, I find Vick's actions personally unforgivable, and I really wonder if anyone this evil can be redeemed.

Comment

Working...
                              X