PDA

View Full Version : Maybin signing soon?

psubills62
08-13-2009, 08:40 AM
Man, it just seems like we're getting jerked around on this topic, but here's another article:

http://www.buffalonews.com/sports/story/762114.html

The contractual impasse for rookie first-round draft pick Aaron Maybin reached its 19th day but both sides remained in negotiations Wednesday. That created the hope that a deal could be reached sometime this week.

Maybin is one of five first-round picks who remains unsigned. The others are overall picks Nos. 6, 8, 9 and 10. If Maybin can reach a deal this week he still could see action in the last three preseason games.

THATHURMANATOR
08-13-2009, 08:42 AM
Get it done already.

WeAreArthurMoates
08-13-2009, 08:44 AM
This is the most encouraging news in a while. Lets go boys.

yordad
08-13-2009, 08:53 AM
It's has gotton to the point where I will believe it when I see it.

DraftBoy
08-13-2009, 08:54 AM
Nothing there says a deal is imminent.

Pinkerton Security
08-13-2009, 09:03 AM
This is the most encouraging news in a while. Lets go boys.

what exactly is so encouraging? that they are still in negotiations?

Philagape
08-13-2009, 09:07 AM
My cousin's friend knows someone who heard a rumor on his ham radio that a guy in the parking lot saw Maybin's agent on his phone mouth the word "done" (from 50 feet away). Yeah baby!!

psubills62
08-13-2009, 09:16 AM
Nothing there says a deal is imminent.

No, but the fact that they're in negotiations instead of waiting on Crabtree is promising.

DraftBoy
08-13-2009, 09:25 AM
That doesn't mean anything though. They could be working on contractual extras till they get a number from the Crabs deal. Sad fact is that we just don't know, though I am still very hopeful.

mayotm
08-13-2009, 09:39 AM
For whatever it's worth, someobody on another board stated Clayton reported that Maybin should sign within 24 - 48 hours. I didn't personally see or read Clayton's report so don't know if he truly reported it. Plus, we all know Clayton isn't always terribly accurate so who knows.

Jan Reimers
08-13-2009, 09:42 AM
My cousin's friend knows someone who heard a rumor on his ham radio that a guy in the parking lot saw Maybin's agent on his phone mouth the word "done" (from 50 feet away). Yeah baby!!
I think he was talking to Lynch and said "gun."

DraftBoy
08-13-2009, 10:36 AM
For whatever it's worth, someobody on another board stated Clayton reported that Maybin should sign within 24 - 48 hours. I didn't personally see or read Clayton's report so don't know if he truly reported it. Plus, we all know Clayton isn't always terribly accurate so who knows.

Im just so skeptical these days, I think on Monday it was reported that Raji would be signed by Tuesday at the latest, its now Thursday and he hasnt signed. I think if Raji would just sign it would make the Maybin deal a little easier at least.

HAMMER
08-13-2009, 11:19 AM
Eugene Parker is such a freakin *****, this is two offseasons in a row he has impacted our team negatively. If I saw him in a dark alley I'd give him a good beatin'.

DraftBoy
08-13-2009, 11:27 AM
Eugene Parker is such a freakin *****, this is two offseasons in a row he has impacted our team negatively. If I saw him in a dark alley I'd give him a good beatin'.

For doing his job in the best interest of his client?

psubills62
08-13-2009, 11:37 AM
For doing his job in the best interest of his client?

I can understand trying to get money for your client, but there's a point at which certain demands become unreasonable. Crabtree's fall was expected by some, especially after the injury. Parker's representation of Crabtree has become completely unreasonable with his demands, and it's not in the best interest of his client anymore.

DraftBoy
08-13-2009, 11:39 AM
I can understand trying to get money for your client, but there's a point at which certain demands become unreasonable. Crabtree's fall was expected by some, especially after the injury. Parker's representation of Crabtree has become completely unreasonable with his demands, and it's not in the best interest of his client anymore.

Unless you are the client, you are not in a position to say whether what Parker is doing is in his best interest or not.

Crabtree clearly feels as though he is worth a certain amount of money and Parker's job is to find a way to secure him that amount or as close to it as possible. its clear Crabtree has told Parker that he can do this through any means necessary.

psubills62
08-13-2009, 11:50 AM
Unless you are the client, you are not in a position to say whether what Parker is doing is in his best interest or not.

Crabtree clearly feels as though he is worth a certain amount of money and Parker's job is to find a way to secure him that amount or as close to it as possible. its clear Crabtree has told Parker that he can do this through any means necessary.

There's plenty of situations where objective viewers can know the best interest of the people involved better than those people can. What a player wants is often much different than what his best interest is. It's been pretty obvious that Crabtree's holdout isn't endearing him to his future teammates or coach. It's not going to help his progress as an NFL WR.

It's also pretty clear that Crabtree has zero leverage in this deal. If he did end up entering the draft again, he'd be completely screwed and would go nowhere near the 10th pick. I know Parker and SF disputed those rumors, but if Parker refuses to budge, they won't have many other options.

DraftBoy
08-13-2009, 11:53 AM
There's plenty of situations where objective viewers can know the best interest of the people involved better than those people can. What a player wants is often much different than what his best interest is. It's been pretty obvious that Crabtree's holdout isn't endearing him to his future teammates or coach. It's not going to help his progress as an NFL WR.

It's also pretty clear that Crabtree has zero leverage in this deal. If he did end up entering the draft again, he'd be completely screwed and would go nowhere near the 10th pick. I know Parker and SF disputed those rumors, but if Parker refuses to budge, they won't have many other options.

Crabtree was arguably one of the top 2 most NFL ready guys coming in so a TC while valuable to him is not as valuable as some other guys especially considered he'd still have to be cleared to play even given his injuries. So ene if he wasn't holding out he may not be practicing.

Crabtree has plenty of leverage. Oakland gave DHB a 20% raise, why can Crab, or Maybin or another ask for the same thing. The blame here really falls on Oakland, no Parker, Crabtree, or SF.

psubills62
08-13-2009, 12:01 PM
Crabtree was arguably one of the top 2 most NFL ready guys coming in so a TC while valuable to him is not as valuable as some other guys especially considered he'd still have to be cleared to play even given his injuries. So ene if he wasn't holding out he may not be practicing.

Crabtree has plenty of leverage. Oakland gave DHB a 20% raise, why can Crab, or Maybin or another ask for the same thing. The blame here really falls on Oakland, no Parker, Crabtree, or SF.

I'm pretty sure Crabtree is looking for a lot more than a 20% raise over last year's 10th pick at this point. It's true Oakland was dumb, but from every indication Crabtree is asking for much more than just a 20% raise over Mayo's contract.

DraftBoy
08-13-2009, 12:04 PM
I'm pretty sure Crabtree is looking for a lot more than a 20% raise over last year's 10th pick at this point. It's true Oakland was dumb, but from every indication Crabtree is asking for much more than just a 20% raise over Mayo's contract.

You don't know that at all. You are speculating, its not that SF has always been a willing to pay organization.

jamze132
08-13-2009, 12:06 PM
Was is the same guy who has a relative or something at the airport parking Mike Vick's plane?

psubills62
08-13-2009, 12:18 PM
You don't know that at all. You are speculating, its not that SF has always been a willing to pay organization.

It's also not like SF has had rookie negotiations that were this tense. You also don't know that Crabtree and Parker are simply asking for a 20% increase over Mayo's contract. The longer this situation goes on, the more likely it is that Parker's demands are unreasonable for the 10th pick.

mayotm
08-13-2009, 12:20 PM
Was is the same guy who has a relative or something at the airport parking Mike Vick's plane?As I stated, take it for what it's worth. I'm not claiming the report is true.

DraftBoy
08-13-2009, 12:21 PM
It's also not like SF has had rookie negotiations that were this tense. You also don't know that Crabtree and Parker are simply asking for a 20% increase over Mayo's contract. The longer this situation goes on, the more likely it is that Parker's demands are unreasonable for the 10th pick.

I don't but that the thing everybody keeps point back at, because if it wasnt for DHB's crazy ass raise this would not of been as bad.

psubills62
08-13-2009, 12:29 PM
I don't but that the thing everybody keeps point back at, because if it wasnt for DHB's crazy ass raise this would not of been as bad.

Maybe not. No matter what DHB got paid, if it is true that Crabtree wants to be paid like a top 5 pick then it would have been a big problem.

I personally blame the system and what it's come to (tons of money for the rookies). I also blame the agents who try to bypass the slotting system and base their client's contract on where they "think he should have gone." Same thing happened with Brady Quinn.

DraftBoy
08-13-2009, 12:36 PM
Maybe not. No matter what DHB got paid, if it is true that Crabtree wants to be paid like a top 5 pick then it would have been a big problem.

I personally blame the system and what it's come to (tons of money for the rookies). I also blame the agents who try to bypass the slotting system and base their client's contract on where they "think he should have gone." Same thing happened with Brady Quinn.

I blame the system, not the agents.

TigerJ
08-13-2009, 03:27 PM
I can see why it's taken Buffalo so long. They have historically been very dependent on slotting after other teams with picks before and after theirs sign their draft picks. With picks 8, 9, and 10 also unsigned the Bills are having to negotiate with the slotting incomplete. I'mm not saying that's the way it should be, but that's the way the Bills have done it for a number of years.